Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Awesome snow machine!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:26 PM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
Talking Awesome snow machine!!

We drove our Turbo out in the blizzard last night here in VA (well not a blizzard, but 6" of snow coming down hard)...about 4" on the roads at the time. I just put on my 18" turbo wheels with Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires back on. It was a blast! This car loved being driven in the snow! Excellent grip in the worst of conditions, and when something did start sliding it was very easy to control and get back on track. ABS braking was awesome and straight even in thick slush.

Very impressed. May have an opportunity to take some pics in the snow tomorrow! :-)

Old 12-05-2003, 04:37 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
hey man, don't make me jealous, I haven't tried mine yet cuz there isnt any snow yet. I heard from weather.com that heavy snowfall is coming tomorrow (saturday), its a good thing so I can give it a try, but its a bad thing too, the car becomes really dirty

Old 12-05-2003, 07:26 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Funny... I just took mine out and got stuck!!!!!! The little honda accord behind me had no problems! LOL! Doesnt help that I had the 19inch with P Rossos!

Need some 18inch wheels and snow tires fast! Anyone have some good recommendations? Cheap is good! LOL!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:39 PM
GO 6SPEED!
ohh man, you should take a photo of your car and the honda, then send it to porsche, I'm sure it will be an insult hahaha...

j/k anyway, I haven't got my snow tires yet, do you think I need them on mine too?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
hahahha damn i cant believe the cayenne got stuck and the honda didnt.. hahaha i bet he had a big smile on his face when he saw u stuck

Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by DEETZ
ohh man, you should take a photo of your car and the honda, then send it to porsche, I'm sure it will be an insult hahaha...

j/k anyway, I haven't got my snow tires yet, do you think I need them on mine too?
Exactly my thoughts!

I would get the snow tires without a doubt. Traction is terrible. Im searching for tires and wheels right now!

Old 12-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by jamy85
hahahha damn i cant believe the cayenne got stuck and the honda didnt.. hahaha i bet he had a big smile on his face when he saw u stuck
I know...he was actually going to back out and go around me after he saw me spinning like crazy for like 5 minutes...at the damn stop light of all places! sheesh! After kicking up all the snow on his car and finally getting traction, I literally had to drive like 3 mph to avoid spinning again. I know he was thinking "what a POS Porsche truck! Spend 70K+ on a 4wd and it cant even get out of a few inches of snow!"

Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 PM
GO 6SPEED!
hahahaha man, ur good in telling story, I cant stop laughing now... hahahaha anyway good to hear that you and your car are fine.

Anyway its a crazy snowfall.. I went to weather.com and calculated that the snow will last for 44 hours here in Boston.

I have my cayenne with 18" Turbo wheels, but too bad I don't have my snow tires on it, I'll give it a try tomorrow and we'll see

Old 12-06-2003, 12:21 PM
por550dean is infamous around these parts
We were our in the snow last night to! So much fun. Ended up getting an H2 stuck.......try to post pics later. I love snow!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Drove mine yesterday and i had 20inch wheels all season tires... and it wasent that good because it was sliding a lot... i guess i have to get winter tires... better call the dealer on monday

Old 12-06-2003, 01:25 PM
GO 6SPEED!
yea! I'm gonna get the winter tires too ^^

Old 12-06-2003, 07:17 PM
GO 6SPEED!
it's an awesome car!!! did the job ^^ didn't slide at all eventhough I didn't change to winter tires yet...

Old 12-06-2003, 08:03 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Here's my report:

Truck: TT
Wheels/Tires: 18" Turbos with Bridgestone Turanzas

I had it out this morning in a couple of inches of snow. I was kind of surprised by all the electronic involvement - ABS & PSM. It just wouldn't stop clicking and grinding. I wasn't used to this on my X5 and certainly not on my previous Range Rover. The tires were the biggest disappointment - lots of slipping on braking, but the electronics kept it straight.

I decided to take it out again this evening and really test it out. There was about 6" on the ground with lots of drifting snow. I went over to the local school and a shopping center. I'M MUCH MORE IMPRESSED NOW!

It's nearly impossible to get the rear end out. I tried power slides and donuts, but the ABS/PSM combo kept it true. In fact, when I tried a hard turn, they just automatically reduced speed and made a nice, uneventful turn.

There is also virtually no wheel slippage either. The electronics just wont allow it - even when slamming the accellerator down. A couple of times I felt the car drifting across the center, but the PSM corrected it immediately.

I don't think the Bridgestones are all season. I just wonder how the winter tires (Dunlops I think) would perform. Again, my only concern is braking distance and I'm sure the winter snows would be a drastic improvent.

CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Nice... the Cayenne is one snow eater!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:23 PM
GO 6SPEED!
yes.. good report and cayenne rulz ^^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Awesome snow machine!!