Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

thickest sidewall on 22s, slightly lowered CTT-ordering car this weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:14 PM
black ctt is infamous around these parts
thickest sidewall on 22s, slightly lowered CTT-ordering car this weekend

Like the title says, I was wondering what the tallest sidewall that isnt an offroading tire people fit on their 22s? Or if you even have problems with flats on the sizes you fit? I was thinking that something up to 40 or 45 would be possible, maybe even 50. What tires are out there that are good on performance and come in thicker sidewalls? Those of you with 22s, what problems do you have with the size and inherant smaller sidewalls?
Ordering car this weekend. Also looking at an ECU flash, which ones are yalls favorite, FVD, GIAD, etc?
How about lowering modules?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
kooser is infamous around these parts
I can tell you that most ECU mods done around here are GIAC. Two dealerships offer it too, aside from a few performance shops. One vendor has just recently become an authorized Revo dealer, but I haven't heard of any being done yet for the Cayenne there.

GIAC tuning does not yield the most HP and torque gain but what is more important is not pushing the engine toward the limits - for longevity.
I have no way to compare between products, but the fact that between the two dealerships they have chipped over 120 Cayennes and had absolutely no problems made me feel comfortable with this choice. Plus they will stand behind their customers just in case something were to happen.

I would suggest finding a dealer in your area that is mod friendly and taking care of it there as opposed to an outside source.

I have a couple things that I still want to do to my CT and later this summer I will dyno it back to back with a stock CT for direct comparison.
I'll post these results then.

Lowering modules - I'll defer to others with experience.

Tires - I have 22's with BF KDW/2's which don't have much protection at all from curbs etc. Not a problem so far with flats, and from others I have not heard that 22" tires are any more vulnerable than smaller sizes.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
That's great about the tires and wheels.
The GIAC is something like 500-510ish horse on 93 octane right?
Longevity meaning it doesnt raise the boost pressure through the stratosphere?
Speaking of stratosphere, what about those diverter valves? I hear good things about those alone adding up to .2 psi of boost due to fewer leaks.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 PM
kooser is infamous around these parts
The GIAC numbers are here http://www.evoms.com/Cayenne%20TT%20main.htm#computer

Revo purports higer numbers, but no one around here (Chicago) has used Revo for their Cayennes. Now of course I don't know EVERYONE! But the one location and only location said that mine would have been the first Cayenne they did.

Longevity - no service issues status post GIAC tuning on ANY of the cars that were done at the two dealers, or from Perfect Power, a POrsche performance shop. Alex911s kindly posted a dyno run with his CTT a while back. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...t=dyno+cayenne
I did notice that my boost guage was peaking higher than before the valves were placed, which I did before the GIAC. Since the GIAC I noticed a slight increase too. Parallax? Maybe. Wishfull thinking affecting my interpretation of the guages and the hypothetical benefits of pricey performance mods? Maybe too.
But my car seems much more responsive, quicker off the start, revs higher between shifts. The true test I guess will be the dyno runs later this summer.

Anyone else out there to comment on tires and lowering modules for "black ctt"?

Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Well kooser you sure have been helpful and I do appreciate it a LOT! Part of the reason this is so urgent is if I do for sure order this weekend or early next week I would need to know if i should keep absolute stock 18" Turbo rims so as not to waste money whenever I upgrade.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
bitz49 is infamous around these parts
i have 22's with 35 sidewall here in ****ty LA roads. works perfectly fine.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bitz49
i have 22's with 35 sidewall here in ****ty LA roads. works perfectly fine.
what 35 profile tires you have and what rims?

Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 PM
bitz49 is infamous around these parts
michelin diamaris. gemballa 22's.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 AM
egyptfolyf is infamous around these parts
TechArt recommends that you go with a 295/30/22, but i think thats because their lowering module goes down pretty low. You could probably try to fit something like a 295/35/22 just to give ur tires a "more beefy" look and some more protection for the rims.

For the ECU tuning, techart has 2 different programs for the CTT, one that produces 510hp and a 600hp package!!!

You can see how low the the techart lowering module brings the CTT down in the pics on CEC site

http://www.cecwheels.com/tuners/prod...ner_brand_id=7

You can download the priceguide at the bottom of the page and see all the specs and pricing