Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Mb Gl450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
imola is infamous around these parts
Mb Gl450

are there any current or future cayenne S owner considered the MB gl450??

I know this could be better answered on the mb forum, but I need some unbiased opinions and you guys are the only I could think of.

I test drove both already, gl is surprisingly fast for its size! I also think the interior materials are higher grade than the ones found in the cayenne as well. Of course, handling and power wise, gl can't match the cayenne S.

so, other than the obvious difference, any thoughts are highly appreciated!!

TIA~

Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
bentley500 is infamous around these partsbentley500 is infamous around these parts
If u want performance, sportiness and a reallllllly cool car- Cayenne S
IF u want to be more low profile, luxury and comfort- take the Benz

It all depends on what is more important to you. The Cayenne is a very fun car and if i were u i would take it. But its all personal preferenes.

BD

Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Not considering it...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
the GL is manufactured in Alabama same with the ML and R

Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 AM
imola is infamous around these parts
thanks for the inputs guys...I really apprecaite it.

I'm aware the location of the GL manufacturing, and MB's recent lower than expected quality issues, that's why I'm considering leasing it rather than dump 70k into it.

maybe I should consider a used cayenne turbo for that much.. hmm...

Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
sna911 is infamous around these parts
The Cayenne would have a better resale value. However if your are looking to lease, the GL will have a lower montly payment. I guess the GL is not selling well at the dealerships and MB has incentives to move them.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:11 AM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imola
thanks for the inputs guys...I really apprecaite it.

I'm aware the location of the GL manufacturing, and MB's recent lower than expected quality issues, that's why I'm considering leasing it rather than dump 70k into it.

maybe I should consider a used cayenne turbo for that much.. hmm...
definitely should consider going the used turbo route! its already taken the depreciation hit.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 AM
superfans is infamous around these parts
How much bigger in size is the GL? Does anyone know?

Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I just bought a GL a month ago. We are very happy with it so far and yes we did test drive a Cayenne before we bought it (we may still get one once the new model comes out). Overall, I can say that they are both quite capable as daily drivers. BUT the only reason to get the GL over the Cayenne would be if you need the space. The Cayenne kicks the GLs butt in every category except # of passeners. Get the Cayenne if you want a driver's SUV for 5 passengers or less.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:22 AM
eugkim is infamous around these parts
I have a GL450 on order for my wife. I think it's a great car - very comfortable and surprisingly quick, though not as sporty as a CT. For a "large" SUV, it's not that big (like an Escalade), and I like the looks.

It hasn't been my impression that they're not selling; it seems like the dealers have some sitting around, but they're the low equipped models. The loaded ones don't stay around too long. If the gas crunch hadn't come, I think they'd be moving the base units too. Unfortunate timing on MB's part.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 AM
eugkim is infamous around these parts
I also agree with what's been said - if space (especially # of passengers) isn't an issue, the CS might have the edge. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of any Cayenne without PASM - too harsh for my taste. Given the choice between a CS with a regular suspension vs. the GL, I'd take the GL.

If the GL were available when I got my CT, I would have opted for it instead. However, this would have been based solely on the fact that the 3 rows of seats would have made it SO much more versatile for us with 3 kids.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 AM
superfans is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
BUT the only reason to get the GL over the Cayenne would be if you need the space. The Cayenne kicks the GLs butt in every category except # of passeners. Get the Cayenne if you want a driver's SUV for 5 passengers or less.
This is exactly why I suggest in my other facelift post that the facelift should include a 3rd row option!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM
TylerCTT is infamous around these parts
One of each...

I just took delivery of a GL 450 to replace the Lexus LX470 we had. Its the family car that my wife and I haul the kids around in. It drives less like a truck which is why my wife preferred it over another LX470. I agree with the comment that the "low optioned" cars are sitting on the lots. MB dealers we a little conservative in their first orders. We included the off-road package which gets us more control on ride height and adaptive suspension...sport, comfort and normal. I really like it.

That said, I prefer driving my 2005 CTT without doubt. Its my daily commute car and a car I can take the kids to school in when needed.

For fun my wife has a 987S and I just ordered a 997 C4s with powerkit...should receive in October.

I would highly recommend any of these cars.

Last edited by TylerCTT; 08-29-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 PM
GoldenPEPPA is infamous around these parts
I test drove a R500 before my Cayenne. I was pretty cool, but in a mommy mini van kinda' way. The GL450 is a bit bigger and nicer though... but probably not as much fun.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:46 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Just make sure to use the price I gave you for bargaining power!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mb Gl450