Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Another Hitch Question......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Triple B is infamous around these parts
Another Hitch Question......

First off I want to say I am not trying to be cheap. But I found an aftermarket hitch with a 6000 lb rating for the Cayenne / Touareg for $180.00. http://www.eurodrivegear.com/Scripts...?idproduct=825

My local dealer is quoting me $1200.00 for the hitch and $600.00 to install it and program the computer. I know the factory hitch is rated for 7700 lbs.
The most I will tow with the Cayenne is 3500 lbs but most of the time it will just be a Motorcycle trailer.

Part of me is saying don't mess around with aftermarket crap and just get the real thing. On the other hand it is only $180.00 and if it a piece of crap I can always get the factory hitch later. One thing I really dont like is the wire loom for the aftermarket hitch. I hate thoes little blue wire splicers.....

What do you guys think????
When the dealer prorgrams the computer what exactly are thet doing it for....trailer wire loom.....shift points....??????

Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Why would you need to program the computer to put a hitch in? Just find a hitch installer (Uhaul stores do this) and they'll get everything set up and wired for a couple hundred dollars. The one you have listed is a class III hitch, and that should be sufficient for just about everything a Cayenne could tow.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
yetis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Triple B
First off I want to say I am not trying to be cheap. But I found an aftermarket hitch with a 6000 lb rating for the Cayenne / Touareg for $180.00. http://www.eurodrivegear.com/Scripts...?idproduct=825

My local dealer is quoting me $1200.00 for the hitch and $600.00 to install it and program the computer. I know the factory hitch is rated for 7700 lbs.
The most I will tow with the Cayenne is 3500 lbs but most of the time it will just be a Motorcycle trailer.

Part of me is saying don't mess around with aftermarket crap and just get the real thing. On the other hand it is only $180.00 and if it a piece of crap I can always get the factory hitch later. One thing I really dont like is the wire loom for the aftermarket hitch. I hate thoes little blue wire splicers.....

What do you guys think????
When the dealer prorgrams the computer what exactly are thet doing it for....trailer wire loom.....shift points....??????
First, your dealer is taking you for a ride. You can find the parts for $860, on the internet. The install is about right.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
Rip off indeed!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 AM
yetis is infamous around these parts
This has been discussed in length in the past. The Cayeene is a VERY quirky SUV, re trailer hitchs. You shoule be fine with a moto trailer, but be careful if you have LED lights, as they don't play nice with the Cayenne system.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I have decide to go with the factory hitch and wiring.
I found out that when a trailer wiring is pluged in factory wire loom the transmission goes into a tow mode and I also have been told that the trailer is hooked into the security system (Not sure how it work but I like it)

Yetis I did a search for trailer lights and did not get a match can you please elaborate on the LED lights not playing nice with the Cayenne system.

Thanks for all you help.....

Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
I have the factory hitch and wiring. I tow my John Deere tractor to my in-laws every other week to cut the grass on my 4' X 8" trailer with turning & brake lights and the factory hitch and wiring is fabulous. I have heard that LED lights and/or the number of lights can trigger error messages.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks BobbySpeed,
I wonder if it gets error messages because the LED light do not require a lot of voltage to opperate and the computer thinks nothing is there or a trailer bulb is burned out. I wonder if the LED light with the built in resistor would help.
The reason why I ask is we have LED lights on the boat trailer and was going to get them for the motorcycle trailer.
Thanks again

Old 10-12-2006, 04:26 PM
UtterNirvana is infamous around these parts
Hi All,

New to the board, after waiting for approval to post, but I too have heard about the LED issue. I believe it had to do with something about each LED is registered as a separate light. I know, sounds strange, but I have read that on one of the boards.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM
On the other board, I did find information about using LED's with the factory hitch kit:

U-Haul offers this for LED based trailers
http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4089

From their website:

For use with Volkswagen, Porsche or Audi vehicles with manufacter installed wiring and equipped with automatic trailer lamp monitoring systems when towing trailers equipped with LED lights.

* Allows VW's, Porsche's and Audi's to pull a trailer with LED Light System.
* Use only with trailers equipped with LED lights.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Nirvana......
And welcome I am new here also so far eveybody have been great and very heplful....
Thanks again for the LED info

Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Thumbs up TripleB

Thanks! I am interested to see what your results are on your hitch installation and towing experience with the truck. Next spring I plan to have the installation done as well.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
socalcardude is infamous around these parts
Touareg Tow Package

I need to install a tow package on my CS and I'm getting the same outrageous quotes from my local dealers (i.e. $1,800 packages/install); can I purchase the Touareg tow package ($600) instead of the Porsche tow package? They look identical and I'm assuming that they are, but I wanted to make sure before I order it online.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
In order to retrofit the installation (I had one done), the rear end is pretty much removed for the installation. Also parts around the hitch location relative to the plastic molding area are cut to allow exposure to the hitch and wiring harness. Therefore, you are spending about $1K for labor.

If you want the parts, go to suncoast porsche's e-partsales website. I believe their price has been the best for this part. Or use their price, like I did, to negotiate with the dealer you are working with currently.

Personally, I have no idea the difference between the touareg vs the cayenne parts.

Also, please note that electrical issues will more than likely arise in the use of this vehicle for towing. This all depends on if you have LED or incandescent lights on the trailer. I went through this painful process ending up with a new Toyota Tundra for towing purposes.

Just out of curiosity, what are you towing?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 AM
socalcardude is infamous around these parts
I'm planning to tow a 17' Bigfoot Travel Trailer (4 season). It should be about 3,300 lbs. with a hitch weight of around 320 lbs. I've been also trying to find mirror extensions since the trailer is 8' wide, but I'm just going to hook up a backup camera to the trailer so I can see what's behind me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Hitch Question......