Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Opinions needed: X5 4.8 vs Cay Turbo vs RR super charged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Opinions needed: X5 4.8 vs Cay Turbo vs RR super charged

I currenty have the X5 4.8 which I am trying to replace. I have driven this car brand new off the car lot and now have put over 80K on it. Great car, awesome performance, excellent price and pretty good fuel economy. But the things I started to dislike about this car is the harsh ride.

I am debating between the Cayenne Turbo and the Range Rover supercharged. What is the fuel economy you guys are getting with these things and how is the maintenence on these cars? I am talking about 2005 or newer models.

For the members wit the Cay Turbo, would do you wish was different about this SUV? How is the ride quality incomparison to the RR and the X5?

I'm in Southern California, any leads to a used Cayenne Turbo with very low miles 05 or newer, or RR dealer recommendations would be appreciated. How much is new ones going for under msrp and how much are the RR going for under msrp?

Thanks in advance
Frank

Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
kooser is infamous around these parts
Driven them all, drive the CTT yourself, really test drive it not just up and down the street and you will see hands down how awesome this car is.
You can get a good deal on '06 CTT or even a CTT-S, and an even better deal on low miles '05 CTT.

BTW, I have no wish for any change (other than native iPod integration).

You can mod your car for performance upgrades too if you are into this, which will bring a CTT even more over the top of any other SUV on the market -PERIOD, on or off road.

As far as pricing numbers - ask on Cayenne forum @ rennlist.com and you will get some thorough answers.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Having driven both the X5 and the RR, I think you will be disappointed with the driving aspect of the RR.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
kooser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Having driven both the X5 and the RR, I think you will be disappointed with the driving aspect of the RR.
Road and Track Review:

"2007 Range Rover Sport SC came along for the ride. And promptly posted the worst acceleration numbers, the worst slalom time and the second-to-worst skidpad run of the group. But its test-worst fuel mileage of 10.3 mpg shows just how hard we had to work the throttle pedal for this Brit to keep up with the other lads.

Unfortunately it didn’t make up much ground once the road turned curvy. With all that weight and a tall center of gravity, high-speed sweepers made it feel floaty. And the brakes — despite measuring 14.2 in. Up front — faded quickly, exacerbated by an extremely long pedal travel. Marc wasn’t a fan of the steering, either, saying “the numb on-center feel surprised me because it reminded me of my parents’ Range Rover from the late ’80s.”

Jonathan felt the off-road background of the Range Rover Sport — which is essentially a minimized version of the full-size Range Rover’s body dropped onto the LR3’s platform — was its downfall: “Land Rover has tried to disguise the truck’s true nature in order to make it into something it wasn’t meant to be — that of a sporty vehicle.”

So I think the RR Sport SC should be totally ruled out right from the start.

You might want to wait for....
New model Cayenne Twin Turbo, or an M version of the X5 - both coming down the turnpike.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i'm getting avg 13 mpg on my Cayenne Turbo. love the ride since it has the air suspension. one thing i wish is the car to be lighter. other than that i have no complain. for a SUV it's really hard to beat. as far as Range Rover Sport goes, even the supercharged version is slower than the Cayenne S so i don't think it's fair to compare with the Turbo. i wouldn't spend the extra money on the supercharged version since i think if u want to Land Rover look the regular Sport is good enough. it is really heavy car btw. i can't stand how it drives. since u're coming from a X5 4.8, i can tell u will not be happy with the Range Rover Sport.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
my only complaint is no iPod integration... oh, and gas mileage ain't so good for me either (10mpg for me)

wouldn't trade me cayenne for any other SUV!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Cognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by turbo187
my only complaint is no iPod integration... oh, and gas mileage ain't so good for me either (10mpg for me)

wouldn't trade me cayenne for any other SUV!
+1

Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Thanks for the quick replies, how much are we looking at for a low mileage 05-06 Pepper turbo? ANy leads in So Cal, perferably non black?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
eugkim is infamous around these parts
I agree with your assessment of the 4.8. I found it too harsh for my taste. I only considered the CTT or CS with PASM. The RRS came out 2 months after I bought the CTT. Don't know whether I'd have opted for it or not. It's definitely not as quick, but I like the looks and the interior better. It's also less dough.

Another consideration might be the Touareg V10. It's really a beast, but probably not an option in California.

Don't think there's a difference between the RRS and the CTT in terms of gas- I get about 13-14 MPG overall.

While I might have leaned toward the RRS to some extent, I'll never grow tired of the feeling of those turbos throwing me deep into my seat whenever I hit the right foot hard.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
you might want to take a look at a MERC G55 AMG, it pulls like an Aston and it's a real german tank.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
I have driven the X5 4.8is, CTT and the G55 (469bhp version)... extensively. They are all so different. I LOVE the 4.8is, but I would get a CTT over it. The G55, while it looks cool and pulls like a train, handles like a wet towel. It definitely has too much engine for the chassis. Off the line (and in a straight line), it will take out a CTT. In higher speeds though, its bricklike structure will give in to the more aerodynamic CTT.

Your problem will be waiting for the new facelifted Porsche (which is coming soon). Thats where my vote goes.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I would stick with the X5 4.8is sounds really loud and the Cayenne TT is quiet dated, I would wait for the performance M division to release their tweeks on the 07 X5

Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I am getting quite a deal on the TURBO S, I might have to step up and get this vehicle. We are talking way more then 10grand off msrp.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 PM
habitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nice
CTT!!!!
Enough said!

Old 11-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I would stick with the X5 4.8is sounds really loud and the Cayenne TT is quiet dated, I would wait for the performance M division to release their tweeks on the 07 X5
Knowing how slow M devision releasing their M cars, its more like 09 X5 !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed: X5 4.8 vs Cay Turbo vs RR super charged