Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S vs. X5 4.6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
i also have both 4.6is and cayenne s and its no comparison the x5 handles better and is faster however the cayenes rides alot smoother.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
i agree with Josh, Griza, and nyseal hands down the X5 4.6is and X5 4.8 is from the last generation handle much better than the Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo, I had just traded in the X5 4.6 (2003) for a Cayenne S for the wife, the wife didn't like the handling or the power, so 2 weeks later I traded in the Cayenne S for the Cayenne Turbo, thinking there will be more power etc....(both Cayennes had air suspension) still the X5 is a much better handling car!!!!! Its got more driver imput and soul , if I can find a CPO 4.8is, 2004 or 2005 in Imola with panoramic roof I would do the swap provided I don't get hammered on the trade. A little buyer's remorse shoudl have kept the X5 4.6.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:46 PM
GoldenPEPPA is infamous around these parts
before buying CV6 I drove a X5-3.0 and my wife and I both agreed it was "tippy" and "wallowed" more than the CV6...

Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GoldenPEPPA
before buying CV6 I drove a X5-3.0 and my wife and I both agreed it was "tippy" and "wallowed" more than the CV6...

The 3.0 and the 4.6/4.8 drive NOTHING alike. They don't even feel like the same vehicle. Think more along the lines of an M5 with a tall roof and AWD.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
2nd that one for sure!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pyiu
i agree with Josh, Griza, and nyseal hands down the X5 4.6is and X5 4.8 is from the last generation handle much better than the Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo, I had just traded in the X5 4.6 (2003) for a Cayenne S for the wife, the wife didn't like the handling or the power, so 2 weeks later I traded in the Cayenne S for the Cayenne Turbo, thinking there will be more power etc....(both Cayennes had air suspension) still the X5 is a much better handling car!!!!! Its got more driver imput and soul , if I can find a CPO 4.8is, 2004 or 2005 in Imola with panoramic roof I would do the swap provided I don't get hammered on the trade. A little buyer's remorse shoudl have kept the X5 4.6.
My Imola 4.6 is for sale if you are interested......

Old 03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor
Griza,

Thanks for the offer I think I'm gonna go with a 4.8 if I do sell the Turbo.

I would like to get the pano roof.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
kooser is infamous around these parts
How can you complain with either - one has no substitute and the other is an ultimate driving machine!

Drove both before buying and the fact that there were fewer Porsche CTT on the road and certainly less in the hands of soccer moms - I opted for the Porsche.

I love both 4.8 (would like to see an M version or Alpina version of this) and the CS/CTT.

The Germans got their shi+ together don't they.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
doccao is infamous around these parts
Both cars are great...however, when looking for an SUV the ability to tow, haul large items, and la larger interior cabin was more critical for me than overall handling & performance. I'm sure most BMW & CT owners will never see the off-road. Hence, the RR SC HSE fits the bill perfectly.

Did I mention the 6,000lb weight of a RR is a great tax write-off (section 179) !

Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by doccao
Both cars are great...however, when looking for an SUV the ability to tow, haul large items, and la larger interior cabin was more critical for me than overall handling & performance. I'm sure most BMW & CT owners will never see the off-road. Hence, the RR SC HSE fits the bill perfectly.

Did I mention the 6,000lb weight of a RR is a great tax write-off (section 179) !
X5 and Cayenne are eligible as well........

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
The booster seats for my 5 & 6 year-olds, along with my 8 year-old sitting in the middle seat (armrest), fit nicely in the back of my Cayenne, but no way in the X5- it was an easy choice for me.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
eaglejackson is infamous around these parts
I've got an 05 X5 4.4i and my wife has an 04 Cayenne S. I agree with the other posters with the statement that the X5 handles better than the Cayenne. I prefer how the X5 drives over the Cayenne -- smoother, handles better, nicer exhaust sound, etc. My wife agrees, but feels the X5 has a blind spot that the Cayenne doesn't have. Hey, the Cayenne is a fine vehicle; I just like the X5 better.

The new X5, though, I dunno. I really don't like iDrive and not sure I would buy a vehicle with it. I also wonder why BMW insists on changing how various standard controls work into non-standard behavior, such as the turn signals and the gear shift lever in the new X5.

I also agree that the Range Rover is the best looking SUV out there. Gorgeous!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have a 2005 BMW X5 4.4 with the sport suspension. I have driven many many Cayannes on track and as loaner cars for many days. The X5 will flat out handle the Cayanne on the track. I am talking about a 4.4 X5 vs. Cayanne S. The X5 will not go offroad like a Cayanne though. However the seats in the Cayannem the over all ride around town and the confort features like how the air conditioning and the Nav works are much better than the X5.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Josh
The 3.0 and the 4.6/4.8 drive NOTHING alike. They don't even feel like the same vehicle. Think more along the lines of an M5 with a tall roof and AWD.
And 1,000lbs. of weight on the roof...

Noticed you're hanging onto that '00 M5, does it get much use? Is yours stock? Love those cars...

Old 04-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
We have the CTTS and the 4.8. The 4.8 feels moe athletic in any agility areas compared to the CTTS. The 4.8 feels more raw, and the exhause note is to die for. However, the CTTS feels more civilized. It has the better balance between sport and comfort and the straightline is just unreal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs. X5 4.6