Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

considering trading my 04' CS for a 2007 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 AM
techm8n is infamous around these parts
considering trading my 04' CS for a 2007 Acura MDX

I'm considering trading in my 04' CS for a 2007 Acura MDX with Sport and Entertainment package.

I test drove the MDX last week and I was impressed. The ride was quite smooth compared to my CS even with the Sport button enabled. I assumed that since it felt smooth that it would have a lot of body roll. So I took a hard right and was suprised that it stayed relatively flat. Its Super Handling AWD was impressive. I felt it whip me around when I made that hard right. That's because the SH-AW transferred the power to my outside rear wheel. So accelerating around a corner is quite fun grippy. Acura did their homework when they design the new MDX. They tried to copy German engineering (X5 and Cayenne handling) prowness by testing and engineering the MDX's handling in Nurburgring Germany.

But my CS still felt more grounded and the steering more precise. The CS also felt much stonger overallBut it's not really an apples to apples comparison when it comes to power (340hp V8 vs 300hp V6).

I like the MDX's interior ergonomic design. It's high tech compared to german design. It's also more intuative. Although the new MDX's center console is quite crowded, it still looks cool (i'm a gadget type of guy). The technology it has is quite impressive. Three row seating and truck space is quite large. Although the third row is not comfortable for adults. I've had 4 Acura's and 1 Honda in the past and they all were very reliable. This is one of the key reasons why I'm considering the trade and maintenance costs.

It's definitely not an easy decision.

What I like about the CS - Bling factor, handling, power, looks, solid feel, brakes, AWD design, towing capacity, off-road capability, top speed, low cabin noise, and it's a PORSCHE!.

What I hate about the CS - throttle response (first 0-3 inches of gas pedal unresponsive), reliability (too many minor issues/electrical), gas mileage, no spare tire, interior ergonimic design (boring), and maintenance costs.

Am I crazy for considering trading my CS for an MDX?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you are crazy!!!
it's a total downgrade... but I see that you are an Acura fan, so if that's what you want then do it.. but I bet you most MDX owner's next upgrade is either a Cayenne, X5, or a Range Rover..just a thought

Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 AM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
my wife loves her MDX. She wouldn't let me trade it in on a Cayenne S for her. Which is probably a good thing considering the amount of scratches she's managed to accumulate

I however, refuse to drive it. The steering sucks. It undoubtedly will be more reliable and have better technology integrated into it though.

Depends what you want, an SUV that is somewhat "fun" to drive , or an SUV that you know is an SUV but is "newer"

Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 AM
sporters78 is infamous around these parts
my wife has a lexus gx470 one word BORING

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all
Yes, you are crazy. lol. Why not look at an BMW X5?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
What are you on. I had an MDX (the old body style so i don't know how it compares to the new one) and in my opinion that car was a peace. Mine was actually extremely unreliable. The transmission had to be replaced and the accelerator would get stuck at speed, talk about a safety issue. Personally that car also drove like crap. It's built or at least was on a minivan chasis and it drives like a minivan. The interior also feels really cheap compared to a cayenne. Sure it looks more blingy and has more going on but its got plastic and vynil everywhere and is filled with fake wood. Personally if you are ready for a new car I would go for the V6 cayenne if you don't want to spend so much money. I would also look at the X5 but the MDX can not be compared to these cars

Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by alex911s
Yes you are crazy!!!
it's a total downgrade... but I see that you are an Acura fan, so if that's what you want then do it.. but I bet you most MDX owner's next upgrade is either a Cayenne, X5, or a Range Rover..just a thought
Yup, I knew I was going to get this kind of response.
And yes, I did upgrade from my 03' MDX to my current CS. Now I'm down grading. The main factor of my decision is reliability and maintenance costs. But don't get me wrong, when it comes to performance, the CS is hands down unbeatable. That's why it not easy for me to let it go.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by turbo187
my wife loves her MDX. She wouldn't let me trade it in on a Cayenne S for her. Which is probably a good thing considering the amount of scratches she's managed to accumulate

I however, refuse to drive it. The steering sucks. It undoubtedly will be more reliable and have better technology integrated into it though.

Depends what you want, an SUV that is somewhat "fun" to drive , or an SUV that you know is an SUV but is "newer"
What year is your wife's MDX?
You're right about the steering, my CS felt more direct and solid compared to the MDX.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by 930chas
Yes, you are crazy. lol. Why not look at an BMW X5?
Yes, I think we established that I'm crazy already.

I was thinking about getting the new X5 too or wait for a CPO ML63 but the maintenance costs and reliability will still be an issue. German cars seems to have electrical issues a lot. This is just an opinion so everyone try not to club me on the head or throw rocks. I was an auto tech for Volvo and Mazda and my brother use to work for Nissan, Honda, Porsche, Audi and now Mercedes. This generalization is based on what we saw as auto techs.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
What are you on. I had an MDX (the old body style so i don't know how it compares to the new one) and in my opinion that car was a peace. Mine was actually extremely unreliable. The transmission had to be replaced and the accelerator would get stuck at speed, talk about a safety issue. Personally that car also drove like crap. It's built or at least was on a minivan chasis and it drives like a minivan. The interior also feels really cheap compared to a cayenne. Sure it looks more blingy and has more going on but its got plastic and vynil everywhere and is filled with fake wood. Personally if you are ready for a new car I would go for the V6 cayenne if you don't want to spend so much money. I would also look at the X5 but the MDX can not be compared to these cars
I also had the 1st gen MDX. That doesn't even come close to the 2nd gen MDX in terms of performance. The new MDX has been totally redone and learned from the Germans (X5 and Cayenne) performance handling.

Yes, the 01'-02' MDX had known transmission issues like you mentioned. That's why I purchased an 03'. And yes, the 01'-06' MDX handling isn't even close to a Cayenne. But the 2nd gen 07' is closer to the Cayenne with a .82g in the skid pad and slalom speed of almost 63mph.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
There's no question the new MDX is an excellent vehicle. There's already been several comparison tests conducted by major U.S. car magazines that rated it above everything else, including X5 and Toureg (Cayenne was not part of the test).

It'd be a great vehicle for my wife, but I would't buy it no matter how good it is. It's just like I can never get excited about a Toyota Camry no matter how many JD Powers or Consumer Reports awards are bestowed on it.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
SoCal955 is infamous around these parts
If you do decide to go with the MDX, are you willing to part out the front spoiler on your CS?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by SoCal955
If you do decide to go with the MDX, are you willing to part out the front spoiler on your CS?
Who ever buys the CS gets the Cargraphic spoiler.