Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Towing with Cayenne...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Eric H. is infamous around these parts
Towing with Cayenne...

For those that use their Cayenne as a tow vehicle for an enclosed aluminum car trailer, is it enough power with the S model or Turbo? What about frame weight of the car?

I'm thinking about picking up a Cayenne if it can comfortably tow 7,000 lb. I really don't want to have to get a pickup to tow my toys. It's just one more car I don't need. If I can use the Cayenne to replace my CLS, this would be my best combination.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM
So I take it not many people use it to tow.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
RG955TT is infamous around these parts
Cayenne is rated to tow 7700 lbs and has many features making it a great tow vehicle. Many tow race cars and boats w/no issues. Hang in there, someone will give you more info.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 PM
rost12 is infamous around these parts
I will be using an '08 CTT for towing my track car next summer, so I don't have any experience with it yet, but wouldn't mind hearing what others have to say on this topic as well.

My salesperson says that Cayennes handle towing well, but not out of personal experience.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by rost12
I will be using an '08 CTT for towing my track car next summer, so I don't have any experience with it yet, but wouldn't mind hearing what others have to say on this topic as well.

My salesperson says that Cayennes handle towing well, but not out of personal experience.
The last person I'd listent to is someone with an interest to sell you a car.

I don't doubt that it can tow, but how far without the engine straining and back and forth shifting. I am hesitant to purchase a cayenne to tow because of the frame weight....I just don't think it's enough. I'd love for someone to tell me different.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 AM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
I have been towing a 14ft double wheel box trailer regularly since 04, no problems even over mountains. I do have Air Susp and use manual.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 AM
techm8n is infamous around these parts
Here's a thread about towing with your Cayenne. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ghlight=towing

Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I decided I'm going to get a dedicate tow vehicle. Most likely a Ford F450 Dually...I will be towing a bit more then I expected. In the neighborhood of 12-15Klbs depending on the type of trailer I get. I really wanted to try to get away with a Cayenne, but I'll probably end up destroying the car lol. I need a diesel as much as I hate to have to get one.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Darnell is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric H.
Thanks for all the info guys. I decided I'm going to get a dedicate tow vehicle. Most likely a Ford F450 Dually...I will be towing a bit more then I expected. In the neighborhood of 12-15Klbs depending on the type of trailer I get. I really wanted to try to get away with a Cayenne, but I'll probably end up destroying the car lol. I need a diesel as much as I hate to have to get one.
If you're just going to tow 12-15k I think a F450 might be a little over kill. One of our product testers regularly tows 18k lbs from Nashville to Dallas with his F350.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
We towed a 22 Ft. aluminum trailer with racecars and our GT3 in it...cayenne was a beast. We now tow the same rig with an 08 Superduty diesel...if that tells you anything, and we actually miss some things about the Cayenne.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Karrera4
We towed a 22 Ft. aluminum trailer with racecars and our GT3 in it...cayenne was a beast. We now tow the same rig with an 08 Superduty diesel...if that tells you anything, and we actually miss some things about the Cayenne.

I don't doubt that it can tow. I am usually making 300 mile+ trips when I head out and I want something that is going to not struggle. I know the F450 is probably overkill, but for a bit extra, I can always go bigger in the towing department. I'm not too concerned about practicality, the truck will only be driven for tow purposes. So the concern about a larger dually vs. a F250/350 around town doesn't bother me since I'll have a trailer on the back of it anyhow.