Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.
View Poll Results: Which car gets your vote for the better on-road performer?
2011 Porsche Cayenne S
77.42%
2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i
22.58%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Porsche Cayenne S vs. 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I loved the M6! Great GT car and extremely powerful. Only used the M button on the interstate. But, the SMG was very quirky and the car was very thirsty. I averaged about 12 MPG and had to fill up 2 times a week due to small gas tank. The AM must be an awesome car! I love seeing it, but way too flashy for here in SC. That's why I am shying away from the Panamera. The Cayenne has the looks I like, has the power and performance I'd want and it 'blends' in. Also works great with my 2 Bernese mountain dogs. I've got my choices narrowed down to the jet black metallic(I'm crazy wanting black!), white or the hopeful ice blue metallic with black interior. I'll think about the other options later, but the Burmester is definate.
On the other hand, the X5 certainly has it's advantages, lower pricetag, included maintenance and Performance driving school!!!! Also, since being a BMW car club member, BMWNA offers a rebate on the car purchase, for the x5, it's 1000.00! Since the Cayenne turbo optioned the way I want is about 20k more, the practical side of me has to consider that into the equation!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
TheAMV8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JenK
I loved the M6! Great GT car and extremely powerful. Only used the M button on the interstate. But, the SMG was very quirky and the car was very thirsty. I averaged about 12 MPG and had to fill up 2 times a week due to small gas tank. The AM must be an awesome car! I love seeing it, but way too flashy for here in SC. That's why I am shying away from the Panamera. The Cayenne has the looks I like, has the power and performance I'd want and it 'blends' in. Also works great with my 2 Bernese mountain dogs. I've got my choices narrowed down to the jet black metallic(I'm crazy wanting black!), white or the hopeful ice blue metallic with black interior. I'll think about the other options later, but the Burmester is definate.
On the other hand, the X5 certainly has it's advantages, lower pricetag, included maintenance and Performance driving school!!!! Also, since being a BMW car club member, BMWNA offers a rebate on the car purchase, for the x5, it's 1000.00! Since the Cayenne turbo optioned the way I want is about 20k more, the practical side of me has to consider that into the equation!
The Aston is an amazing car, but even here in CA it gets a little too much attention. I got it mostly to satisfy my childhood fantasy of having one, and it certainly has not disappointed. But I do find myself gravitating towards the comfort of my truck on a day to day basis.

Black is an amazing color when the car is clean, birds also seem to target black cars specifically

X5 is a great SUV. I love mine, and if I didn't already have one it would be a much closer call between it and the Cayenne. There is definitely a lot of value in the X5 for the $, and I think the S is quite pricey when compared to it. I would actually still be hard pressed to choose between the X5 5.0 and the Cayenne S. and I'm fairly sure I would tip towards the 50 if I didn't already have an X5

For me, the Cayenne Turbo has much more of an allure than the X5M. I'm not sure why - I think it is mostly emotional. The X5M is a beast, but for some reason it doesn't grab me - never has. If I was in the market for an X5, I honestly would probably get the 5.0 over it - and even as I type it I know it sounds completely crazy when I'm willing to plunk down for a C Turbo. But there you have it.

I think what it comes down to for you is test driving both the X5M and the C Turbo. If afterwards you come away feeling that the extra 20K (or whatever is translates to in a lease) is not justified then you get X5M. On the other hand, if you are blown away by the C Turbo, then that's the one for you.

As far as being practical goes... I'll just say look at the cars you are considering

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I know...I drove the x5M today at the dealer that had that one for sale. It felt a little 'tippy' while driving. did not get a 'planted' feel. Not thrilling, could not get a comfortable seating position. I either had to lean to the left or sit straight. Oh well, did it. got it off my mind. Now, onto the Cayenne turbo.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I know...I drove the x5M today at the dealer that had that one for sale. It felt a little 'tippy' while driving. did not get a 'planted' feel. Not thrilling, could not get a comfortable seating position. I either had to lean to the left or sit straight. Oh well, did it. got it off my mind. Now, onto the Cayenne turbo.
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. So here are 2000 words Vroom Vroom!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Can't wait!!!! Bring it on!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Before I drive the Cayenne, I went today to drive x50i M sport package. I have to admit I am totally impressed with this version of the X5. Comparably equipped, the S is about 15 -20 k more! Not sure what I am going to do, but I'll know tomorrow when I drive the S and turbo.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Kain is infamous around these parts
Before I drive the Cayenne, I went today to drive x50i M sport package. I have to admit I am totally impressed with this version of the X5. Comparably equipped, the S is about 15 -20 k more! Not sure what I am going to do, but I'll know tomorrow when I drive the S and turbo.
Please do let us (me ) know of your impressions once you drive the Cayenne. But there really is no point comparing the Cayenne Turbo to the X5 xDrive50i cuz it actually compares to the X5 M.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
its funny how a lot us have owned the same cars...

Here is my old Dinan M6, with vorstiener carbon fiver hood, valance and wing. It was sold locally and i still see around town every now and then.

Name:  DSC00939.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  DSC00964.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  200.5 KB

Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
nice! I had an 07 stratus gray with silverstone M6 cab that I traded on the 997. Had it not had smg issues, I would still have it!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
2 unknowns

The new X5 has 4000+ new or revised parts. I'm sure its similar to my wife 09' 4.8 sport, but better. 450 ft./lbs. of turbo torque does wonders

BTW, my wife's X5 was $76k. I priced out a 2009 Cayenne S with the same options and the sticker was $93k.

I haven't driven the new cayenne, but I was underwhelmed with all but the GTS on the old model...

DRP

Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
the new Cayenne is awesome, but I am afraid I am going to wait until the novelty wears off... i.e., discount greater than 3%.

I loved the X5 and it was exactly the same difference. BMW now offers the Ultimate Drive event where, if you go, you get 1k towards the purchase of a new BMW, any model.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
the new Cayenne is awesome, but I am afraid I am going to wait until the novelty wears off... i.e., discount greater than 3%.

I loved the X5 and it was exactly the same difference. BMW now offers the Ultimate Drive event where, if you go, you get 1k towards the purchase of a new BMW, any model.
If you're seriously considering the X5, make sure you at least drive the 3.5, I have heard good things about it

Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 PM
well, an new twist in the saga. My Lexus HS has been recalled again for a "Pinto-like" rear impact gas tank explosion. This will make the 2nd recall in 5 months and that other issue. They are giving me a loaner indefinately until Lexus figures out what to do. Hopefully, a buy-back will happen and then.....you guessed it, the turbo will be on order!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
well, an new twist in the saga. My Lexus HS has been recalled again for a "Pinto-like" rear impact gas tank explosion. This will make the 2nd recall in 5 months and that other issue. They are giving me a loaner indefinately until Lexus figures out what to do. Hopefully, a buy-back will happen and then.....you guessed it, the turbo will be on order!
Wow! I would demand they buy it back given the explosion risk. Given Toyota's recent spat of safety issues, I would tell them that you have lost confidence in the brand and their ability to fix the problem. Also tell them you want to get the Cayenne Turbo... Ok don't tell them the last part

Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Wow! I would demand they buy it back given the explosion risk. Given Toyota's recent spat of safety issues, I would tell them that you have lost confidence in the brand and their ability to fix the problem. Also tell them you want to get the Cayenne Turbo... Ok don't tell them the last part
Well, I think that is going to happen, at least for me. Funny part, the salesman didn't even know about it until I emailed him. I am going to pickup the loaner today. When I get there, I am going right to the owner and express my concerns since this car is my DD and I do drive it on the interstate and haul dogs and my 4 year old nephew! This problem may not be an easy fix. They've only sold 13,000 of 17000 units in the US. At this point, if I were Toyota, I'd just pull them all off the road and start over. I'll keep you posted after I get the loaner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Porsche Cayenne S vs. 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i