Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test drove the 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
TheAMV8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JenK
Your wife is the wise one! Maybe she could offer her opinion for me, too! My take: you could just turn in the X5 and drive the AM only for the year and see if you can 'survive' with 1 car. She has an SUV, right? So, there ya go! As far as the new M6, it doesn't thrill me at all. My M6 was a very good car and I should have kept it except for the smg quirkiness! But, I am like you, I just have to have the latest and greatest!!! So, with that being said, I still don't know what I am going to purchase.
The SMG kept me out the M cars. I could never get them to shift the way I wanted. Maybe it was just me. I have high hopes for the new twin turbo V8 and I think BMWs newer transmissions may be the ticket.

My wife does have a GTS; however, it has all her stuff in it and she uses it all the time for her job (taking clients around etc), so I really need my own truck

I went and drove the CTT again today. I have to say it was even better than the first time. Porsche has done such a amazing job on this vehicle. It just does not drive like an SUV. I'm also sold on the 8 speed transmission. The engine was basically running at 1500rpm in 8th gear on the freeway and I was getting 21.5mpg. That's just great for a 500hp car (having said that it is also quite effortless to get it to run at 10mpg). I'm also becoming more and more sold on the looks; it is definitely growing on me each time I see it

So in a nutshell I'm sold! Glad I got my order in when I did as the dealer is out of allocation!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I hear you on the smg! I would think the new M's are getting a version of the X5M engine and you are right, that would be awesome!
Now, 21.5mpg on the CTT??? wow, that is impressive! You keep tempting me to get one!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
They're for sure putting the Twin Turbo 4.4 in the M5, so it is pretty much a given that they will put it in the M6 too. The spy pictures I've seen of the next gen 6 look pretty nice. Hopefully it'll carry through to production.

My current plan is to get into the CTT, then perhaps roll into the next gen X5 in 2013 (assuming I like it). In the meantime I will do my best to stay in one car once the AMV8 is gone. Best laid plans....

Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
I really want to get down to one car (I keep saying this). My rational with going with the Turbo is that it will feed the need for speed as well as be practical for going to the snow etc. Am I being realistic? I don't know, but I'm scared of the new M6

My wife, being infinitely wiser than I, suggested I extend the lease on my '07 X5 for another year, enjoy the AMV8 until next July, then get a new CTT in September after having giving Porsche a year to work out any kinks. That is of course the smartest thing to do

But I'm not known for doing the smartest thing, plus I'm turning 45 this year and I think the CTT is an awesome birthday present (Happy birthday to me!). So I don't know - Will common sense or impulse prevail?
This is just too funny....I am in exactly the same boat. I'm thinking about getting down to one vehicle too and I also will be turning 45 this year !!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by S-B-D
This is just too funny....I am in exactly the same boat. I'm thinking about getting down to one vehicle too and I also will be turning 45 this year !!
Maybe it was something in the water when we were growing up?

I've had some success with getting down to one car now and then over the years, but invariably I keep falling off the wagon! But this time it's going to be different...

As of this moment (subject to change), I'm locked and loaded for a Cayenne Turbo. After my second test drive I'm even more convinced that it's the right vehicle for me: Terrific performance, able to deal with the snow, raised driving position, handles like a sedan, nice tech and fab interior.

So I'll have the CTT and the AMV8 (which will go back next July). Then I will just have the CTT until 2013, and I will not get another car until then!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
AM and SBD, you guys are too funny!!!! PS I'm 45 now and turning 46 this year!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Maybe it was something in the water when we were growing up?

I've had some success with getting down to one car now and then over the years, but invariably I keep falling off the wagon! But this time it's going to be different...

As of this moment (subject to change), I'm locked and loaded for a Cayenne Turbo. After my second test drive I'm even more convinced that it's the right vehicle for me: Terrific performance, able to deal with the snow, raised driving position, handles like a sedan, nice tech and fab interior.

So I'll have the CTT and the AMV8 (which will go back next July). Then I will just have the CTT until 2013, and I will not get another car until then!

So, anyway...... my dream car has been the Vantage, and I've said I'll buy one before my 50th birthday. So right now, I'm back and forth between the Cayenne Turbo and the Panamera 4S. I believe JenK is going through the same thought process. I do think, however, that if I get the Cayenne Turbo now, unload my RS4 and Cayenne S, then get the Aston in a few years, that my be the best all around scenario. I would basically have the CTT as my only car for about the next 3 years or so.

There is plenty of utility in the Panamera 4S, but again, for the same price one can have the Cayenne turbo. I really have fallen in love with the looks and the "presence" of the Panamera, however, and as well as the Cayenne will handle, it still won't be like the Panamera.

Porsche has never been a bang-for-the buck brand by any stretch of the imagination, but even so, there appears to be a much better value with the Cayenne line than the Panamera line. Still leaning towards the Panamera right now, but honestly, I do go back and forth. Still haven't gotten to test drive the CTT, and maybe that, ultimately, will be the deciding factor I suppose.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by S-B-D
So, anyway...... my dream car has been the Vantage, and I've said I'll buy one before my 50th birthday. So right now, I'm back and forth between the Cayenne Turbo and the Panamera 4S. I believe JenK is going through the same thought process. I do think, however, that if I get the Cayenne Turbo now, unload my RS4 and Cayenne S, then get the Aston in a few years, that my be the best all around scenario. I would basically have the CTT as my only car for about the next 3 years or so.

There is plenty of utility in the Panamera 4S, but again, for the same price one can have the Cayenne turbo. I really have fallen in love with the looks and the "presence" of the Panamera, however, and as well as the Cayenne will handle, it still won't be like the Panamera.

Porsche has never been a bang-for-the buck brand by any stretch of the imagination, but even so, there appears to be a much better value with the Cayenne line than the Panamera line. Still leaning towards the Panamera right now, but honestly, I do go back and forth. Still haven't gotten to test drive the CTT, and maybe that, ultimately, will be the deciding factor I suppose.
I guess I'm lucky that the Pan never grabbed me. I think it is because if I'm going to get a four door vehicle, then I tend to gravitate to SUVs mostly because I like the higher seating position. I know the compromise is in handling, but the CTT sure does minimize it.

I also felt a little closed-in in the Panamera ****pit, whereas the Cayenne feels much more open to me. This is interesting since the sills on the AMV8 are really high and there are big blind spots to the left and right rears, but yet I don't feel the same closed in feeling in that car. Though to be honest, I really am not driving my Aston much at all. I basically have 4,500 miles on it with a little less than a year left on the lease when I should be driving it 7,500 miles a year. So it is really being wasted on me in a big way.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
AM and SBD, you guys are too funny!!!! PS I'm 45 now and turning 46 this year!
I have major issues

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
You know, I haven't bought anything yet....nothing is written in stone and maybe I won't get the Pan. being older and wiser by a few months, I turn 46 in September, the 3 of us are in some type of mid-life crisis where we really WANT one car that does it all. I just don't know.........help! Anyway, I am waiting on Lexus. Should I get my neighbor, who is a well known attorney, to write them a letter? The CTT is awesome and yes I could get one loaded with the Burm, PDCC and other goodies for the same price as the Pan 4S. Oh well....the saga continues. The other board members must think I'm nuts!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
You know, I haven't bought anything yet....nothing is written in stone and maybe I won't get the Pan. being older and wiser by a few months, I turn 46 in September, the 3 of us are in some type of mid-life crisis where we really WANT one car that does it all. I just don't know.........help! Anyway, I am waiting on Lexus. Should I get my neighbor, who is a well known attorney, to write them a letter? The CTT is awesome and yes I could get one loaded with the Burm, PDCC and other goodies for the same price as the Pan 4S. Oh well....the saga continues. The other board members must think I'm nuts!
The Pan. Is great car but you have big dogs don't you. Pan wouldn't work well for large sized dogs for at least not for me. Plus I plan on getting a Pan. Type car for my 60th Bday ok 10.7 year to go. pan to nice for someone as young as myself

Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I love the new Cayenne!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
There is something magical about an SUV than can hit 60 in 4.4 seconds. It brings out the inner child in me

Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Eric 993TT is infamous around these parts
Good luck on your decisions. It's a win/win situation. Pan or Pepper.

FYI - I just ordered a 2011 CS. I was considering an X5 or a RR Sport. Almost bought the RRS, unbelievably, it's the best bang for the buck. The 2011 has a 375 hp motor, though it's no thoroughbred, it's pretty peppy. But the CS is way better. As soon as I saw the 2011 CS, I knew it was the one. Turbo or S was a big decision. But for me, the S was enough. I found one I wanted and it's on the vessel as they say. It should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Eric 993TT
Good luck on your decisions. It's a win/win situation. Pan or Pepper.

FYI - I just ordered a 2011 CS. I was considering an X5 or a RR Sport. Almost bought the RRS, unbelievably, it's the best bang for the buck. The 2011 has a 375 hp motor, though it's no thoroughbred, it's pretty peppy. But the CS is way better. As soon as I saw the 2011 CS, I knew it was the one. Turbo or S was a big decision. But for me, the S was enough. I found one I wanted and it's on the vessel as they say. It should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.
Congrats on your new purchase! What color & how did you option it out? Also be sure to post some pics when it arrives!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2011 Turbo