Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test drove the 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
TheAMV8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JenK
porsche's also depreciate alot. I read somewhere about having a Porsche for an investment! Yikes! Back to the BMW's, the M5 and M6 will be rid of that nasty SMG making the DCT m cars very inviting. AM has already expressed an interest in the new M6. I like the X5 M, but the 50i M sport package is close. Local BMW dealer here had a 10 X5M that retailed for 92k sold for 80k. I'll have to see what bimmerpost says about the upcoming M5/6. And for me, they are going to make a 1series M coupe called the 1M. I love that little car! I would even get a 128i, I love it so much! sorry for the BMW praise on a Porsche board. Anyway, still haven't decided and probably won't for a while. I am now making my 997 my DD since I haven't heard from Lexus yet and I hate the loaner car they gave me.
As GJ325 rightly points out a BMW is no Porsche and I definitely agree that the Cayenne has more prestige than an X5 (though here in the Bay Area both are depressingly common).

I will also have to say that the X5 cant touch the interior of the the new Cayenne and that the Cayenne Turbo is... well the Cayenne Turbo and it is a beast.

Having said all of that, On a whim, I test drove the X5 50 for the first time today and I have to say that I reluctantly came away quite impressed. I really wanted not to like it, but I will say that its acceleration was suprising.

I'll put it like this: With the CTT you stomp on the pedal and you look down at the speedometer and go "Holy Moly, am I really going that fast?". With the X5 50 you stomp on the accelerator and go "Wow that's some acceleration". Maybe it's the gear ratios, maybe it's because I had very low expectations of the 50, or maybe its what I had for lunch today.

So is the CS worth 20K more than the 50? Is the CTT worth almost 40K more (optioned out in all cases)? That really depends on what you're looking for.

In your case an X5 and a 1M (or whatever they may call it) may be the ticket. For GJ325, the uniqueness of the Pan is worth the extra $.

As for me? Well I'm kind of scratching my head now and thinking I could sure have a lot of fun with 40K

Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
You remember the point is to have 1 car, but the 'disease' probably won't ever go away! I am going to drive them back to back. Hendrick has Porsche and BMW right next to each other, so I'l have them both lined up to drive again, this time back to back.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Eric 993TT is infamous around these parts
U guys check out this post?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ross-post.html

I'd say the CTT is pretty awesome!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Your wife is the wise one! Maybe she could offer her opinion for me, too! My take: you could just turn in the X5 and drive the AM only for the year and see if you can 'survive' with 1 car. She has an SUV, right? So, there ya go! As far as the new M6, it doesn't thrill me at all. My M6 was a very good car and I should have kept it except for the smg quirkiness! But, I am like you, I just have to have the latest and greatest!!! So, with that being said, I still don't know what I am going to purchase.
I am going through this EXACT dilemma....I want to get something, just don't know what. I may wait a year. The Panamera may have a few good upgrades available like true paddle shifters and the very nice sport package exterior, the CTT may come with less unpainted black plastic, the BMW 1M will be out (staying with the 2 car formula) as well as the new M5.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I am going through this EXACT dilemma....I want to get something, just don't know what. I may wait a year. The Panamera may have a few good upgrades available like true paddle shifters and the very nice sport package exterior, the CTT may come with less unpainted black plastic, the BMW 1M will be out (staying with the 2 car formula) as well as the new M5.
I hear ya! As of today, the Pan is out, the CTT is back in and the 1M is definately worth having!!! Now, what do I get for my 125k? I am looking at it this way, the X50i M sport package(no cheap black plastic) and the 1M would be about the same price as the CTT. And I am going to wait as well. All of the models will have some price adjusting in the next 6 months as they accumulate on the lots, so I have time to make up my mind!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:32 AM
I hear ya! As of today, the Pan is out, the CTT is back in and the 1M is definately worth having!!! Now, what do I get for my 125k? I am looking at it this way, the X50i M sport package(no cheap black plastic) and the 1M would be about the same price as the CTT. And I am going to wait as well. All of the models will have some price adjusting in the next 6 months as they accumulate on the lots, so I have time to make up my mind!
I'm now officially in crisis!

After driving the X5 5.0 I really started re-evaluating the CTT. Then today I got clocked at 95mph by the highway patrol in my 07 4.8. Let me tell you that was one pissed off cop. I honestly didn't realize how fast I was going (I thought about 80) as my HUD is out due to a faulty windshield install by the dealer and I just plain forgot to look at the funny round dial with the numbers and pointy thing. This is what happens when you get dependent on tech. Happily I managed to convince the officer of this and he wrote me down for 80 after he had calmed down some.

This is my second ticket in as many months (The CA Highway Patrol seems to be on a rampage trying to generate as much revenue as possible for the state). So no traffic school this time and a nice fat point on my license. grrrrrr!

So now I'm leaning towards a 3.5 X5. I just keep getting into trouble and a CTT or even a 50 are not going to help matters. The irony is that both tickets were in my truck and not in the AMV8 - go figure.

Maybe I should just get a bicycle

Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
I'm now officially in crisis!

After driving the X5 5.0 I really started re-evaluating the CTT. Then today I got clocked at 95mph by the highway patrol in my 07 4.8. Let me tell you that was one pissed off cop. I honestly didn't realize how fast I was going (I thought about 80) as my HUD is out due to a faulty windshield install by the dealer and I just plain forgot to look at the funny round dial with the numbers and pointy thing. This is what happens when you get dependent on tech. Happily I managed to convince the officer of this and he wrote me down for 80 after he had calmed down some.

This is my second ticket in as many months (The CA Highway Patrol seems to be on a rampage trying to generate as much revenue as possible for the state). So no traffic school this time and a nice fat point on my license. grrrrrr!

So now I'm leaning towards a 3.5 X5. I just keep getting into trouble and a CTT or even a 50 are not going to help matters. The irony is that both tickets were in my truck and not in the AMV8 - go figure.

Maybe I should just get a bicycle
I know your insurance company loves you too! I haven't had a ticket in a long time, so I guess I'm next. Seriously, you will be disappointed in the 35i. I've some reviews and drove one, not too impressive to me compared to the 50i. I've come down to 2 scenarios for me: CTT only car and the X50i plus the 1M/whatever. Now, I am going to wait until Lexus decides what they are going to do for my HS and then sit tight for the year end deals. And of course, I am going to gripe about how low my trade(997) will be regardless!!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I know your insurance company loves you too! I haven't had a ticket in a long time, so I guess I'm next. Seriously, you will be disappointed in the 35i. I've some reviews and drove one, not too impressive to me compared to the 50i. I've come down to 2 scenarios for me: CTT only car and the X50i plus the 1M/whatever. Now, I am going to wait until Lexus decides what they are going to do for my HS and then sit tight for the year end deals. And of course, I am going to gripe about how low my trade(997) will be regardless!!!!
35i that bad huh? So basically back to the one car vs two car scenario? I'm still determined to get down to one car. Only now I'm second guessing the CTT vs the 50. Why? well... umm... because just in case I really like the new M6 or some other car that may come along

Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
35i that bad huh? So basically back to the one car vs two car scenario? I'm still determined to get down to one car. Only now I'm second guessing the CTT vs the 50. Why? well... umm... because just in case I really like the new M6 or some other car that may come along
The 35i isn't bad, you will probably be disappointed from a power standpoint. Well, has anyone been watching the British open? Have you seen the commercial about the Cayenne? That's the turbo and I love that sound when it starts!!!! They push the Cayenne S and hybrid, but that is the turbo and it was posted here wayback. Ok, enough! I am on vacation this week, so I may not post here for a few days! I can then contemplate what I am going to get while I sit on the beach!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:53 AM
PS. Here's another thrown into the mix....a GTS which is apparently coming next year! Now, that would be one to look at and wait for!!! Off to the beach for me!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
richardg is infamous around these parts
Very nice write up. I have only seen 1 at the dealer since launch and I really like it. The only thing I did not like was the price. lol

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
ok, I'm back and apparently, didn't miss too much. The CTT is now my only choice. I will be ordering one when my dealer gets his next allocation in the fall!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
ok, I'm back and apparently, didn't miss too much. The CTT is now my only choice. I will be ordering one when my dealer gets his next allocation in the fall!!!
Hope you get one. Looks like the one we ordered is not a done deal. Dealer still trying but I am thinking he may come back and say S Wife doesn't care if not turbo she mainly wants Turbo Grill. she doesn't want to wait so no GTS wait in cards.

We will see what happens still hoping Turbo comes thru.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Glad you're back. Hope you had a great vacation!

Oh how the times have changed...

While you were gone, I cancelled my Turbo order.

I came to the realization that I have simply not been able to stick with one car. Oh there have been times when I have only owned one, promising myself that this would be it only to end up with another car a few months later.

I'm already wondering what the next M6 will be like, or the Vantage V12. I'd be kidding myself to think that I'd stick with just the CTT, and I really cannot justify almost 5K/month in lease payments that having the CTT and another car would entail.

So I've decided to get a X5 50i with the knowledge that I'll probably end up with another car once the AMV8 goes back next July.

I chose the X5 over the CS simply because the CTT was the one that "did it" for me, and I'm just not into the CS enough to pay almost 20K more for it over the X5. This is not to say the CS is not an awesome vehicle, it is. It's just not the one for me.

And so concludes another episode of "Cars of Our Lives" Tune in next week to see if AMV changes his mind yet again. Will Jen be able to pass on the 1M? And will the terrible Lexus finally get bought back?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM

Vacation was good, but it could have been better not having a million things on my mind, including the car scenario! That's the least of my challenges right now!

The saga continues...I am planning on ordering one, but there may not be an allocation available since the dealer said he has 'waiter's for the next allocation. The only one car scenario is not going well for me, either!!! We shall see...the X50i loaded is one I can not say no to. The lease payment on that is roughly 1100/month for 36/15k (MSRP 78k) and who knows what the CTT will be. I hear you on the monthly payments, I am about 3k, but I bought the 997 and, hence, the higher payments. I emailed my salesperson at Lexus and told him I wanted a buy-back.

I am first on the list at my dealer for the 1M!!!

So, congratulations to you, AM!!!! You're the first one here that has made a solid decision! So now, we wait for me, Eric and SBD!

What color, options, etc did you get??? That BT option is the coolest by far!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2011 Turbo