Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test drove the 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder I like the way the panamera looks, some of my friends think I've lost my mind.

Interesting comments on PTV from the pros
I like the Pan looks, too! That was on the list, but now gone. the interior is spacious, but the dogs can't stand up in side with the seats folded. The advantage in the Pan is the seats fold flat. Not so in the Cayenne, but the dogs will have a 'ramp' to look out!

I know you think I am crazy about the dogs fitting, but they do ride with me occasionally and they need to fit. The Cayenne is really for me.

AM, the V12???? I know, what a 'disease' we have!!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
The guys at Braman Porsche put on a first class 2010 Cayenne S track event at PBIR last night, myself and a good friend were able to break away from the pack from the start and really push it hard, lead Porsche Driver Chris really gave us something to chase. Very impressed with the ride, smooth no body roll what so ever, enjoyed it but I could never go back to S, couldn't imagine what the turbo is like?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Eric 993TT
Good luck on your decisions. It's a win/win situation. Pan or Pepper.

FYI - I just ordered a 2011 CS. I was considering an X5 or a RR Sport. Almost bought the RRS, unbelievably, it's the best bang for the buck. The 2011 has a 375 hp motor, though it's no thoroughbred, it's pretty peppy. But the CS is way better. As soon as I saw the 2011 CS, I knew it was the one. Turbo or S was a big decision. But for me, the S was enough. I found one I wanted and it's on the vessel as they say. It should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.
Is it here yet?????

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Eric 993TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JenK
Is it here yet?????
NOOOO. Not yet. I'm liking calling the salesman every other day. It arrived to San Diego on 7/14 and is still there. They were expecting it any day now. So I guess it should be here Mon or Tues. The wait has been excruciating. They got a shipment of cars on Thurs, but mine was not on it.

So you have finalized on a CS? Placing an order soon???

Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
NOOOO. Not yet. I'm liking calling the salesman every other day. It arrived to San Diego on 7/14 and is still there. They were expecting it any day now. So I guess it should be here Mon or Tues. The wait has been excruciating. They got a shipment of cars on Thurs, but mine was not on it.

So you have finalized on a CS? Placing an order soon???
Man, the wait must be killing you!!! It will be here this week! What color, specs, etc?? I really want to wait until the ice blue is available, but it may not happen until next year and I don't want to wait for that. So, right now it's sand white or silver. As I mentioned before, I like the black, but black is so hard to keep clean and it doesn't, to my eye, show the lines off very well. But, it does hide the plastic black lower trim! As for ordering, as soon as the Lexus buy-back is done, then I will order. I just know something would go wrong if I went ahead and ordered it before this deal was done.

Good luck this week and keep us posted!! did you get a good deal?????

Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
The guys at Braman Porsche put on a first class 2010 Cayenne S track event at PBIR last night, myself and a good friend were able to break away from the pack from the start and really push it hard, lead Porsche Driver Chris really gave us something to chase. Very impressed with the ride, smooth no body roll what so ever, enjoyed it but I could never go back to S, couldn't imagine what the turbo is like?
The turbo is unreal! However, I just read the Excellence mag review and they liked the S overall.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
TheAMV8 is infamous around these parts
Man, the wait must be killing you!!! It will be here this week! What color, specs, etc?? I really want to wait until the ice blue is available, but it may not happen until next year and I don't want to wait for that. So, right now it's sand white or silver. As I mentioned before, I like the black, but black is so hard to keep clean and it doesn't, to my eye, show the lines off very well. But, it does hide the plastic black lower trim! As for ordering, as soon as the Lexus buy-back is done, then I will order. I just know something would go wrong if I went ahead and ordered it before this deal was done.

Black is a huge pain to keep clean. Not sure how much easier the Dark Blue Metallic would be, but I think it looks good on the Cayenne (disclaimer: it was the color I chose.) Silver is always a good color to show a car's lines and it hides the dirt, but it is a little more common.

I'm definitely not a fan of the plastic lower bits, but most SUVs have them and so I really don't notice. But the lower portion of the wing mirror being plastic really bothers me. I think it looks unfinished The good news is that you can get them finished (painted) as an option for a mere $775 Honestly it might just be worth it on a light colored car.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Eric 993TT is infamous around these parts

I'm getting a CS in meteor gray/blk with the following options:

19" turbo wheels
Anthracite birch interior
Light comfort package
XM Radio
3 spk multi function wheel heated in Anthr birch
Heated seats
Bose
PCM
Park assist

I didn't order it, it was one they had coming. I wish it had full leather and the air suspension, but oh well. I did get a good deal. Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you. Sales mgr says he gave me too much off, getting flak about it. So I didn't want to announce it to the whole world...

Blk is always hard to keep clean. And an SUV is so big, it's a pain to wash it all the time. Silver is obviously the easiest to care for. Sand white is really nice. Lots of pics of sand white in the brochure. Haven't seen one in person yet. In fact, I've only seen blk and meteor in person. Both look pretty good.

What went wrong with your Lexus? Why the buy back?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm getting a CS in meteor gray/blk with the following options:

19" turbo wheels
Anthracite birch interior
Light comfort package
XM Radio
3 spk multi function wheel heated in Anthr birch
Heated seats
Bose
PCM
Park assist

I didn't order it, it was one they had coming. I wish it had full leather and the air suspension, but oh well. I did get a good deal. Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you. Sales mgr says he gave me too much off, getting flak about it. So I didn't want to announce it to the whole world...

Blk is always hard to keep clean. And an SUV is so big, it's a pain to wash it all the time. Silver is obviously the easiest to care for. Sand white is really nice. Lots of pics of sand white in the brochure. Haven't seen one in person yet. In fact, I've only seen blk and meteor in person. Both look pretty good.

What went wrong with your Lexus? Why the buy back?
Nice options!!! Meteor is a favorite of mine, but want now white or silver. I am going to order if I can't find one that has the air suspension. The birch interior is awesome, you gonna love it!
The Lexus is their new little hybrid called the HS250h. Had 2 recalls since Jan, the last one being a possible gas tank explosion ala the Pinto! I got it as a DD, but the dealer called me and I had to initiate the process with Lexus and they promised to get the buyback ASAP. So, here I wait until it's done, probably 4 weeks.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Black is a huge pain to keep clean. Not sure how much easier the Dark Blue Metallic would be, but I think it looks good on the Cayenne (disclaimer: it was the color I chose.) Silver is always a good color to show a car's lines and it hides the dirt, but it is a little more common.

I'm definitely not a fan of the plastic lower bits, but most SUVs have them and so I really don't notice. But the lower portion of the wing mirror being plastic really bothers me. I think it looks unfinished The good news is that you can get them finished (painted) as an option for a mere $775 Honestly it might just be worth it on a light colored car.
I think the black plastic would take care of those dreaded rock chips! I don't plan on putting Ventureshield on this vehicle. Checkout the xoutpost for the tread about rock chips on the Msport and X5M wheel wells!
I like the dark blue metallic!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I think the black plastic would take care of those dreaded rock chips! I don't plan on putting Ventureshield on this vehicle. Checkout the xoutpost for the tread about rock chips on the Msport and X5M wheel wells!
I like the dark blue metallic!
I think dark blue metallic with the stainless skid guards and aluminum roof rails looks hot. I also really like meteorite grey except I always end up with silver/grey or black cars

Now if they would make the front end of the S more like the turbo... Which I guess would be more like a GTS

Not a fan of the M Sport package. Lots of plastic that screams: Hey look at me I'm an X5 M except I'm not! I believe the standard X5 has the same kind of plastic trim that the cayenne has along the wheel wells and lower side trim?

I wonder if the rationale of both companies is to protect from rock chips etc. Perhaps the Cayenne has slightly higher fenders and so they are a little more noticeable?

Still think Porsche should have painted the wing mirrors those cheap #%!$&@*s

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
I agree about those mirrors! The dealer had a black/black turbo with the 21" wheels, the stainless guards and the roof rails....very hot!!! However, the roof rails are very pricey and I would never use them. Also, I'd need scaffolding to reach them even with the air suspension!

When I see your posts, I am thinking your gonna change your mind!!!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 AM
BillC is infamous around these parts
Hello to all. Have to agree regarding the painted mirrors. Ordered a CS in meteor/black last week and on a $95k build this was the last option decision. Objected to it on principle but finally decided car looked much better with them painted and caved.

Jen, did you test drive one with and without the panoramic sunroof? On some cars this really adds an element of noise. I liked the roof but wasn't able to drive one with it so I passed. Probably could still add to the mid October build though.

For those considering the X5 diesel, my research last year showed it could not be outfitted with the M sport package. Perhaps that's changed but you might want to check that early in your process if that model that appeals to you and the M package is important.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree about those mirrors! The dealer had a black/black turbo with the 21" wheels, the stainless guards and the roof rails....very hot!!! However, the roof rails are very pricey and I would never use them. Also, I'd need scaffolding to reach them even with the air suspension!

When I see your posts, I am thinking your gonna change your mind!!!!!
The roof rails prices are very steep. I haul skis around and don't like hanging them off the back of the car, so they are a must for me. It goes to the heart of what one of the other posters said that at the end of the day the big difference for most people between the Cayenne and X5 is $. These cna add up blindingly fast on the Porsche. As an example: Roof rails on the X5 $100, Cayenne $1290; Running boards on the X5 $300, Cayenne $1550. I just cannot imagine that there is that much difference in these products - even considering volume differentials. I think that if Porsche were a little more reasonable with their options, they would actually be helping themselves. Having said that, they can charge what they want, because we are mostly willing to pay for it

There are also a number of options available on the Porsche that I wish the BMW had available such as: PTV+, Heated Windscreen, Thermally/acoustically insulated glass, Burmeister like stereo, Alcantara headliner, etc. So despite the cost, Porsche does give you a huge breadth of differentiating options that are simply not available with the competition.

I'm 100% sure that I wont' be getting the Cayenne this year, but I've not ruled out extending my '07 X5 lease another year, turning in the Aston in July and seeing how I hold up with one car. I might then go for a CTT next year or a GTS if Porsche rolls one out. I figure it will give them a year to iron out any issues given this is a first year vehicle.

Current plan though is to still go with the X5 50. I discovered that there is a BMW individual ordering option on the X5 (I want the Dark Slate Merino leather w/Alcantara piping and Piano Lacquer Trim); however, it is very murky as to whether they allow it for US cars i.e. I think the dealer has to agree and BMWNA has to agree - My CA is trying to figure it out.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
The roof rails prices are very steep. I haul skis around and don't like hanging them off the back of the car, so they are a must for me. It goes to the heart of what one of the other posters said that at the end of the day the big difference for most people between the Cayenne and X5 is $. These cna add up blindingly fast on the Porsche. As an example: Roof rails on the X5 $100, Cayenne $1290; Running boards on the X5 $300, Cayenne $1550. I just cannot imagine that there is that much difference in these products - even considering volume differentials. I think that if Porsche were a little more reasonable with their options, they would actually be helping themselves. Having said that, they can charge what they want, because we are mostly willing to pay for it

There are also a number of options available on the Porsche that I wish the BMW had available such as: PTV+, Heated Windscreen, Thermally/acoustically insulated glass, Burmeister like stereo, Alcantara headliner, etc. So despite the cost, Porsche does give you a huge breadth of differentiating options that are simply not available with the competition.

I'm 100% sure that I wont' be getting the Cayenne this year, but I've not ruled out extending my '07 X5 lease another year, turning in the Aston in July and seeing how I hold up with one car. I might then go for a CTT next year or a GTS if Porsche rolls one out. I figure it will give them a year to iron out any issues given this is a first year vehicle.

Current plan though is to still go with the X5 50. I discovered that there is a BMW individual ordering option on the X5 (I want the Dark Slate Merino leather w/Alcantara piping and Piano Lacquer Trim); however, it is very murky as to whether they allow it for US cars i.e. I think the dealer has to agree and BMWNA has to agree - My CA is trying to figure it out.
BMW Individual is hard to get, but I bet I could get that here because of the proximity to the plant and pulling some strings! Well, I am still going to wait until the Lexus goes through and maybe even wait until year end to purchase one off the lot. Also, and this is a long shot for me, I would keep the 997, buy a 2010 plain Cayenne that is stitting on the lot for about 50% off!!! I could pay cash for that! Or I could just drive the 997 daily and call it a day. I,too, am very cautious of a 1st year vehicle especially with the problems I had with the Lexus!!!!

that concludes another episode of the daily 'Cars of Our Lives'.....stay tuned

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2011 Turbo