Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test drove the 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
TheAMV8 is infamous around these parts
Test drove the 2011 Turbo

Just got back from test driving the 2011 Cayenne Turbo. This was the dealers launch vehicle and it was jet black with a black interior and the 20" RS rims. Options of note included: PDCC, PTV and Lane Change Assist. For some reason this vehicle had the sport seats deleted and replaced with the standard seats. I must admit the standard seats are pretty comfortable - though less so than the BMW multi-contour seats.

I test drove the vehicle for about 15 minutes on both surface streets and the freeway.

Impressions:
  • 20" RS rims looked really good
  • I really like the front end of the turbo vs the other Cayennes. The rear end is less and less obnoxious to me the more I see it
  • To repeat what has already been said many times, the interior is simply superb. It just kills the competition
  • Power comes on very smoothly and deceptively. So it is not neck snapping, but it is scary how quickly you get into triple digits
  • I noticed a hesitation between stomping on the gas pedal and the power pouring on. Hit the sport button and this hesitation disappears.
  • As as expected, sports mode makes the acceleration much more visceral and direct. I unfortunately only drove the windier part of my test drive in sports mode, so I cannot compare it to the "comfort/normal" modes.
  • Handling is just downright impressive. The lack of roll in cornering is amazing for such a big vehicle. You really do almost forget the you're driving an SUV.
  • I felt the new Cayenne drives much "smaller" than either the X5 or the Cayenne. By this I mean it feels more compact and less truck like compared to the other two vehicles
  • I found the Lane Change Assist was next to useless

Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Just got back from test driving the 2011 Cayenne Turbo. This was the dealers launch vehicle and it was jet black with a black interior and the 20" RS rims. Options of note included: PDCC, PTV and Lane Change Assist. For some reason this vehicle had the sport seats deleted and replaced with the standard seats. I must admit the standard seats are pretty comfortable - though less so than the BMW multi-contour seats.

I test drove the vehicle for about 15 minutes on both surface streets and the freeway.

Impressions:
  • 20" RS rims looked really good
  • I really like the front end of the turbo vs the other Cayennes. The rear end is less and less obnoxious to me the more I see it
  • To repeat what has already been said many times, the interior is simply superb. It just kills the competition
  • Power comes on very smoothly and deceptively. So it is not neck snapping, but it is scary how quickly you get into triple digits
  • I noticed a hesitation between stomping on the gas pedal and the power pouring on. Hit the sport button and this hesitation disappears.
  • As as expected, sports mode makes the acceleration much more visceral and direct. I unfortunately only drove the windier part of my test drive in sports mode, so I cannot compare it to the "comfort/normal" modes.
  • Handling is just downright impressive. The lack of roll in cornering is amazing for such a big vehicle. You really do almost forget the you're driving an SUV.
  • I felt the new Cayenne drives much "smaller" than either the X5 or the Cayenne. By this I mean it feels more compact and less truck like compared to the other two vehicles
  • I found the Lane Change Assist was next to useless

Very nice write up. Sounds pretty similar to our test drive.
I was very impressed with the vechile all in all. Yes I would like to see some things different But I think Porsche has a winner.

Wife did have one gripe the center console was way too small she carries a small hospitals supplies for 6 months in her Sururban

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Where are you? Was this an Auto Gallery car in Woodland Hills area?
Color and options sounds exactly like what they have in stock now and as their launch car.
I am looking at buying one of those.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Fantasma
Where are you? Was this an Auto Gallery car in Woodland Hills area?
Color and options sounds exactly like what they have in stock now and as their launch car.
I am looking at buying one of those.
I'm up in the San Francisco bay area

Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Gj325
Very nice write up. Sounds pretty similar to our test drive.
I was very impressed with the vechile all in all. Yes I would like to see some things different But I think Porsche has a winner.

Wife did have one gripe the center console was way too small she carries a small hospitals supplies for 6 months in her Sururban
I agree with you. I personally wish the turbo were more aggressive. The lines feel almost too soft for a 500hp vehicle. It starts well at the front end, but from then on back it really is no different from any other cayenne (you can even get the twin pipes as an option on the others).

One other feature I wish the Porsche had available is a heads up display similar to the one you can get on the X5. It's one of those features that you question until you've owned it, then you wonder how you ever lived without it

Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
great write-up!!!! The CTT is impressive. I am still on the fence, but whatever I get, it will be a Porsche!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
great write-up!!!! The CTT is impressive. I am still on the fence, but whatever I get, it will be a Porsche!
Thanks JenK. I think turbo whichever one turbo you turbo get, you'll turbo be very turbo happy.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks JenK. I think turbo whichever one turbo you turbo get, you'll turbo be very turbo happy.
Believe it or not, I am thinking S either way! That leaves some room for a 2nd car in the near future. You know I have a 'car disease' and 1 just isn't enough!

Maybe cayenne s and box spyder s? hmmmm....or that damn 1 series coupe! The new "M1" or tii or whatever they are going to call it. I had one(only a 128i NA) as a loaner for about a week while the M6 was getting some tlc...still smile when I think of that car!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Believe it or not, I am thinking S either way! That leaves some room for a 2nd car in the near future. You know I have a 'car disease' and 1 just isn't enough!

Maybe cayenne s and box spyder s? hmmmm....or that damn 1 series coupe! The new "M1" or tii or whatever they are going to call it. I had one(only a 128i NA) as a loaner for about a week while the M6 was getting some tlc...still smile when I think of that car!
I think the S is absolutely a fine car. The reality is that 0-60 in 5.6 sec is plenty fast enough. Honestly, acceleration/performance is not an issue in my '07 X5 and it hits 0-60 in 6.4s give or take

In my more rational moments I think to myself that a loaded 3.5 X5 would cost just shy of 80K and I would basically have close to 1K/month less in payments and still have a little better performance as my 4.8i with much better fuel economy. Plus I have my AMV8 on lease until next July, so that gives me my speed fix at least for the next year. But then when you drive the turbo, rational thought goes out the window

The one thing with the S is that once you load it up with goodies it isn't that far from the Turbo, and then you have to look at it vs the X5 and ask if the extra $ is really worth it.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
I am torn....CTT or Panamera 4S.....

The Panamera has such a presence on the road, will have better driving dynamics, and much rarer. For the same $$$$, when comparably equipped, however, one can have the CTT. Panny TT is a bit outside my comfort zone pricewise when equipped the way I want it.

I just keep going back and forth. Right now, I just like the idea of this mega- SUV that can just do it all. Other days, I lean towards the Panny. One thing that definitely bugs me with the CTT, however, is that you'd think on a $100K+ vehicle, they wouldn't have so much unpainted black plastic. Oh wait...I forgot...this is Porsche. Painted plastic will be an extra cost option in 2012.

Hmmmm......what to do?

Last edited by S-B-D; 07-07-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by S-B-D

The Panamera has such a presence on the road, will have better driving dynamics, and much rarer. For the same $$$$, when comparably equipped, however, one can have the CTT. Panny TT is a bit outside my comfort zone pricewise when equipped the way I want it.

I just keep going back and forth. Right now, I just like the idea of this mega- SUV that can just do it all. Other days, I lean towards the Panny. One thing that definitely bugs me with the CTT, however, is that you'd think on a $100K+ vehicle, they wouldn't have so much unpainted black plastic. Oh wait...I forgot...this is Porsche. Painted plastic will be an extra cost option in 2012.

Hmmmm......what to do?
I drove the Panamera and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It drove much shorter than it is, but boy when you look in the rearview mirror the back window is a loooong way away. I believe it is actually longer than the Cayenne by about 5 inches? Much maligned as Cayenne's rear end is, I have an even harder time with the Panamera's

I personally think the Panamera Turbo gets in the silly price range when you compare it to CTT. Just cant see paying that much more for it. But obviously that is a personal opinion

Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by S-B-D

Hmmmm......what to do?
I am exactly like you! some days, CTT or S or Pan S....PTT is silly expensive. Right now, I am liking the Pan.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 AM
I think the S is absolutely a fine car. The reality is that 0-60 in 5.6 sec is plenty fast enough. Honestly, acceleration/performance is not an issue in my '07 X5 and it hits 0-60 in 6.4s give or take

In my more rational moments I think to myself that a loaded 3.5 X5 would cost just shy of 80K and I would basically have close to 1K/month less in payments and still have a little better performance as my 4.8i with much better fuel economy. Plus I have my AMV8 on lease until next July, so that gives me my speed fix at least for the next year. But then when you drive the turbo, rational thought goes out the window

The one thing with the S is that once you load it up with goodies it isn't that far from the Turbo, and then you have to look at it vs the X5 and ask if the extra $ is really worth it.
Exactly, the 3.5 loaded with the M sport in carbon black is about 67k. The 5.0 loaded is 77k. Loaded CS is about 92. CTT, well, while an awesome vehicle, I guess the novelty would wear off for me and then I'd want to add another car, then I am back in the same boat I am now! So, for 125k, I could have the 5.0 loaded AND a 1 series loaded or go a little more and get Box S again! Then add in the no maintenance costs and you get my drift! Only if I know what is going to happen to the Lexus, I am now in a loaner, I would be shopping today!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Exactly, the 3.5 loaded with the M sport in carbon black is about 67k. The 5.0 loaded is 77k. Loaded CS is about 92. CTT, well, while an awesome vehicle, I guess the novelty would wear off for me and then I'd want to add another car, then I am back in the same boat I am now! So, for 125k, I could have the 5.0 loaded AND a 1 series loaded or go a little more and get Box S again! Then add in the no maintenance costs and you get my drift! Only if I know what is going to happen to the Lexus, I am now in a loaner, I would be shopping today!
I really want to get down to one car (I keep saying this). My rational with going with the Turbo is that it will feed the need for speed as well as be practical for going to the snow etc. Am I being realistic? I don't know, but I'm scared of the new M6

My wife, being infinitely wiser than I, suggested I extend the lease on my '07 X5 for another year, enjoy the AMV8 until next July, then get a new CTT in September after having giving Porsche a year to work out any kinks. That is of course the smartest thing to do

But I'm not known for doing the smartest thing, plus I'm turning 45 this year and I think the CTT is an awesome birthday present (Happy birthday to me!). So I don't know - Will common sense or impulse prevail?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Your wife is the wise one! Maybe she could offer her opinion for me, too! My take: you could just turn in the X5 and drive the AM only for the year and see if you can 'survive' with 1 car. She has an SUV, right? So, there ya go! As far as the new M6, it doesn't thrill me at all. My M6 was a very good car and I should have kept it except for the smg quirkiness! But, I am like you, I just have to have the latest and greatest!!! So, with that being said, I still don't know what I am going to purchase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2011 Turbo