Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Our 2011 Cayenne...the search begins.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Our 2011 Cayenne...the search begins.

Hi fellow 6speeders: This is my first post in the Cayenne section. This is my story. Never been a big fan of a SUV, in fact like many I thought that it was sacrilegious for PORSCHE to even make one. Over the years I have learned to respect what Porsche does for it's growth as a company. This past week or so, my family (wife and 9 and 11 year girls) have lodged a formal request that I change their mode of transportation. They are bored of our '04 Sienna minivan. My wife wants something that is attractive to look at, fun to drive and kids want something that is supportive to sit on. I must say as practical as the minivan is …it does not make much in-roads in any of the above categories. I do not want to deprive them as their wish is legit. They are smitten by the 2011 Cayenne bug. So in the coming weeks, months or year….I may either custom order, pick one from a pre-existing inventory or buy a used 2011's ( yah right as is if I can get one used..but you never know) Cayenne.

I do have several questions, answers to which will be invaluable as I decide on that right Cayenne for her. This thread will only end when I finally get a Cayenne…so please bare with me as I update this thread with every question that comes to my mind. I have been reading all the automotive journalists's reviews on these Cayenne's but I value all your opinion way more than those magazines. Even before I go to questions like must have options etc I have some very basic questions. I am unable to even go to the next step on the configurator as even the type of Cayenne or the type of exterior poses many challenges. I have never custom ordered anything to date. The questions are:

1. Cayenne S or hybrid: I don't see much action with regards to the hybrid version on this section. As cool as the hybrid technology looks, my biggest concern would be long-term issues with electric motor failure etc (and I do like to keep cars for a longtime, usually well beyond the warranty period). Cayenne S is more of a familiar territory for Porsche given the DFI's that they have equipped 997.2 and panamera so I would not expect any issues. I get the feeling that many are not going in for the hybrid…am I right ?

2. My wife loves to think outside the box. She is leaning towards the two special colors The amethyst metallic (the eggplant color) or the sandyellow. She also likes umber. Anyone here have any of the above colors or seen one. Any first impressions. I do like sayboy's yellow turbo color.

3. The wheel options are staggering. What are the pros and cons of all these different wheel sizes . I do know that the 19's are better when it comes to potholes. Are the 21's that much impractical and harsh to live with. Considering the fact that I will be using a set of dedicated winter wheels, what size would be desirable ? I do like the turbo wheel option boy that 5K ..is it worth the premium. The bigger sizes wheels ..is the ride better or is it just for the better looks ?

For every question I ask I will provide a picture of my two cars, as a way of thanking you in advance….I know that we all like pictures. I understand that I asked three questions today but only provided two pictures. I could provide you with a picture of my '04 Sienna minivan as a third picture (BTW it is truly concourse worthy..if there ever was a show for minivans) but would risk being thrown out of this forum for posting a picture of a minivan…..unless ofcourse it is made by a PORSCHE. Thank you for reading through this lengthy post. You can see my two current family haulers...the 997.2 and the '86 Carrera 3.2. Yes my kids who have put up with me on long trips by riding in the back seats of these two "family haulers"...it is my time to payback.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-30-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
We got the Umber with Umber Int. I have yet to get any photos the wife has put 1000 miles on it in a week. The front end is covered with bug juice. I will detail and post photos tomwr if I can hide keys.

I do myself think that the Sand Yellow would be. Unique color. But purple. No way.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
yellow---very cool!!!!! Gj, I am glad she likes it! Now, get to work and clean that puppy up!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
I was peering at an umber model with black leather and the umber is very "classy" IMO. It is not too brown and has a nice metallic fleck. This particular model had aftermarket 22" asphalt HRE mono's on it and the contrast was very nice.

If I ordered one I would lean standard wheels and put my own choice in 21" or maybe 22". The vehicle swallows up just about any size available. While I like the option wheels I would like to spend that 5K+ on my own to personalize it.

Eggplant is just wrong IMO.

Yellow is just different enough w/o being...well, eggplant.

Silver and white are the finalists here with black or umber innards.

g/l

Old 08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
PRS7: If I ordered one I would lean standard wheels and put my own choice in 21" or maybe 22". The vehicle swallows up just about any size available. While I like the option wheels I would like to spend that 5K+ on my own to personalize.

I totally agree ...what a nice input thank you. Will stay away from eggplant purple. I am leaning more towards umber metallic. I love the natural leather feel on my 997.2. It wears well over time too. So for someone who keeps their vehicles for long time that would be a very appropriate choice IMO. But they only have one choice, the espresso/cognac for a two tone natural leather.

Any thoughts on the hybrid vs the S ? The press seem to be raving about it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I have the S so my opinion maybe skewed. But here are my thoughts. Color is totally up to you or your wife in this case, just remember resale and how you will like it over time, or just get whatever color you want and dont think at all.

I suggest the S over the hybrid in my opinion. I have yet to see or drive a hybrid though. I believe performance will be much better in the S and for the savings is it worth it. At least it has stop technology.

I see you think like me with the Wheels: When I purchased my car I was buying for the wife also, so we specced it for her with the small wheels and all season tires. Reason being we can use the 18''s for winter and not have to purchase another set of winter/wheel tires. For looks, if you love porsches 21 or 20 then go with it...BUT...two thoughts. The upgraded 21 package is an additional $5600 or so, so you could get into a great set of aftermarket wheels/tires and custom paint them with TPMS for 6K or so. Also, the Porsche 21's are not for winter at all. So if you need winter/snow tires then be ready to purchase winter wheels and tires. or at the very least tires depending on what size wheel you go with.

Personally I like the wheels that Porsche has to offer, or I like what Peter at wheel experts has done with his cayenne turbo. Which will basically look the same on the S or hybrid. They are modulares. My roads here are pretty bad but I feel as though the cayenne can handle up to 22 inch without too much issue. Just like any car (911) you would want to be a bit more careful, but most of us are. 22 on the cayenne is not as bad as it seems because the overall diameter of the wheel and tire is larger than that of a 911's so there is more tire than putting a 22 on a car for instance.

Umber is a nice interior. I personally went with black but if you upgrade the two tone interior is very nice in the shades of tan and brown. IMO the alcantara roof liner is pricey but very nice. I also went with a wood grain interior and wood steering wheel to dress up the interior. Also for the kids you might want to consider the electronic sunblinds if they will be sleeping in the back! They are great for kids.

Just a few thoughts please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help.
D

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Porsche 119, thank you for that very detailed reply. I appreciate the time spent. I have decided to pass on the hybrid for exact reasons you outlined plus as a longterm keeper would hate to worry about the battery and it's cooler issues after the end of the warranty period. I am also going to pass on the "eggplant" color. So it's down to yellow or umber. Will also go with the standard $0 option 18" wheels and add an aftermarket wheel for a dedicated winter set up (expect quite a bit of mountain pass travel every winter). Great ...I've made progress beyond the first page of the configurator.

Would love to have a two tone interior and that too on natural leather (my 997.2 has that and IMO over time it will wear much more nicer than the standard leather)...but again please do not mistake me. The standard leather is by no means lacking for quality. They only have one option when it comes to two tone interior on natural leather: The espresso/cognac which looks actually very nice. Any thoughts on this vs the umber/light tartufo.

I am yet to see a two tone interior on any dealer's inventory. So that leaves me with only one choice..custom order. What discounts if any can one expect on a custom order. ? 5 %. Oh, BTW pictures of my '86 coupe as promised.

Attached Images