Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Roger-Fielding
I replaced my 2005 with a 2011 Cayenne S on 8/20/10. To date the car has used 5.5 quarts of oil in 3010 miles ! An average of 550 miles per quart.

Porsche of Orlando say this is normal !!!!

(snip)
As a new car, you may see excessive oil consumption for the first few thousand miles. Hopefully it will improve. But it is widely known in the Pepper community that many of them (and the CTT as a certainty) have high oil consumption.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
ScottAtlGa is infamous around these parts
I'm using about a quart every 1300 miles. I also don;t understand why they would design an engine that consumes oil, but at least the guage lets us know when to fill, lol. I have a family member using MUCH MORE in a 2011 CTT. It leaves me windering why, but at least the vehicle is sold, comfortable and drives good!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 AM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
Been through this process before with a 2011 Turbo and it's totally normal and nothing to worry about.

- At 1,000km: Dealer added 1.8L of Mobil 1

- Now at approx 3,000km: I added 800ml and she was back to max again

Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 AM
check 6 is infamous around these parts
In the market for a new Cayenne but the oil issue is disturbing. Had a 2008 Cayenne GTS that we put over 24,000 miles on in just under two years ( disposed of it after rather significant hit in the rear, yes the kid was texting) and while I changed the oil every 5000 miles, other than that I added at most 1 quart of oil in the 24,000 miles. Lots of highway driving and towing.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 AM
ScottAtlGa is infamous around these parts
From what I am learning, it is normal, or atleast 'expected'. One reason I have been told is that it is because of the relatively thin oil used in the Cayenne. The thin oil gets consumed but it is results in less engine wear during starts. I had a Mercedes AMG and it also consumed oil but not to this extent. I find it odd they design an engine to consume oil, but I also think if anyoen can design an engine right, Porsche could. I quit worrying about it as there is nothing else about the vehicle that botehrs me and it runs and drives excellent. I'd rather have this issue than a vehicle with incurable rattles, wierd engine noise or other problems I have had with other vehicles. I just keep some fo the oil with me and that reduces the strees of running low and not being able to find the oil. the dealer and Autozone stock it, both for about $8/quart.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
States in the manual under technical data that consuming up to 1.58 quarts per 600 miles is within spec., that works out to 2.63 quarts per thousand miles!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Bill P. is infamous around these parts
After reading of this issue, I picked up a six pack of oil from Amazon. FWIW, I now have 500 miles on my CS and the oil level is still where it was on the day I drove it off of the lot. I'm not really babying the car, but do try to keep it under 4500rpm. However, I've had it over 6k a few times....it's difficult not to.

Still, I'm with you Scott. Either way, it's a great ride.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Check oil levels twice a week, get a few readings and dont top off until its at the lowest bar within the needed levels and get one of these like I did:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...IntAccessories

Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Add me to the list of high oil consumption.

At 900 miles my oil level went from full to red/critical. It took 2quarts to come back to normal.

I'm not sure I believe the oil level readings on the on-board computer.

Our local dealer (Carousel) has been very helpful in watching this.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
11CayenneS is infamous around these parts
Hey Everyone, I too have the oil issue. I just brought the truck in because the minimum oil level warning came on. It took 3 quarts. The dealership said this should pretty much go away over 5k miles. They said in the mean time just bring it by when its getting low and they will fill it up gratis.

Kind of a pain in the butt, but lets be honest, the balance of performance vs daily usability is always a challenge. I still love the truck!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM
DenverClipper is infamous around these partsDenverClipper is infamous around these parts
On a somewhat related topic - are any 2011 owners having problems with the oil level indicator not resetting after you add oil? Oil level indicator reads "level will be available in few minutes or few miles" and it never resets. Dealer fixed it today and was not reading again by the time I got home. A problem if you have to add oil every 500 miles.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
archmk is infamous around these parts
You should not open the front hood while engine is running ! This is the trick , you need to switch off engine before you open the hood and add oil or even watching your engine !
I had to add the first one liter ( quart ) at the 1000 km ( 600 miles ) for my cayenne S 2011 which handed over on 20 august , the added oil on an average of 1 liter every 1,700 km ( 1,100 miles) last time 1.2 liter was added at the 7000 km and now it's 8400 km and only quarter liter is down , it seems it improving after the 7000 km . Will wait and see .
Another issue , does any one have my problem , my cayenne S 2011 is performing well and going smooth with low engine sound and the next day it'd slower with higher engine sound ?! Does anyone have similar problem ?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Cayenne Sean is infamous around these parts
I am having the same problem with oil consumption on my 2011 Cayenne S. Picked the car up 12/11/10 and within a week, the minimum oil warning light came on. I took it back to the dealer and they added a quart and said it would eat oil for a few thousand miles, then should stop. I now have 3100 miles and have added 5 quarts of oil. I guess it is good to see others are having the same problem but it is hard to believe Porsche would put out an engine that burns this much oil.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Moss1st is infamous around these parts
CTT should consume 1 quart of oil approximately every 800 miles for the first 5,000 miles. Afterwards the consumption should drop dramatically, according to Porsche service. I just added a quart at around 800 miles. I know a BMW M5 owner with the same deal, so I guess this is how it goes with high performance engines.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
At 6600 miles my last quart lasted about 1500 miles....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 oil consumption