Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Just added 1 quart to my '09 c4s; 2,500 over four months. Pcar just broke 10k. More highway miles on mine though.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Something is rotten in Denmark- added 3 QUARTS yesterday, and is still showing down a quart! Going to the shop tonight. They will drain the oil and see how much there actually is in the crankcase. The car couldn't possibly be using that much oil. Wish it had a mechanical dipstick!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I too wish it had a dipstick like my 3.2 Carrera. My Cayenne now has 3.5K miles under it's belt and the oil level is just down by one bar. Have not added even a drop of oil. I am really getting nervous. Trouble is my dealer is a good 3 hrs drive away. Anybody else out there with such oil consumption numbers.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Car is in the shop as we speak. When I dropped it off last night the service tech said something about how the system won't always reset unless you check the oil level (after you add oil) with the hood open !?! Will report once I hear back from him. I find this curious because why would you need to keep the hood open with an electronic dipstick German logic, I guess. At least they gave me a brand new Boxster for a loaner

P.S. w00t, you lucky dog! No oil after 3.5k miles!

Last edited by gammaman; 04-13-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I have 1400 miles on the CTT 2011 and I am down 2 bar.
Still green and menu screen says oil level is okay, so I think I'm good. Might top off but that's all.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Kleev is infamous around these parts
go figure. . .

At 5K miles, my daughter's 2011 Cayenne Turbo still goes through a quart a week --600 miles of urban freeway + stop and go.

I just topped up my 2011 Panamera Turbo with 3/4 quart after 3000 miles. I'm driving twisties and freeway, but no stop and go.

Oh, and my 06 s never burned a drop. . .

Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Lol, you guys should be glad you dont have a Audi 2.0L turbo. Its spec is 1 quart per 1000 miles. Do the math and you burn your motor up wayyyyy before the oil change interval. And it has won engine of the year several times. lol I work on Porsche for a living, trust me, I feel for ya. I wish the oil issue would be resolved just as much. I hate telling clients that spec and having to explain it. I do know this, every engine is different and every car is too. Thats why there is the broad span of some who use oil and some who dont. Honestly its the luck of the draw. I love these cars but they are too fickle in the oil usage from one car to another. I have several cars, including Porsche's. Wife drives 08 Cayman S, no oil usage at all. Then again I change her oil every 3000 miles, My 944, top offs are expected. The 01 Dodge, never lift the hood. And the McLaren, idk but ill tell you when I get one, lol. Well guys, dont sweat too much, its something we unfortunately have to accept. keep a quart or two in the car. But also bring it in for consumption tests, just in case.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gammaman
Car is in the shop as we speak....
P.S. w00t, you lucky dog! No oil after 3.5k miles!
but honestly Gamma, not sure if I am lucky or if my electronic dipstick is non-functional. Anyone else with such low oil consumption out there ??

Originally Posted by Jace
I have 1400 miles on the CTT 2011 and I am down 2 bar.
Still green and menu screen says oil level is okay, so I think I'm good. Might top off but that's all.
Jace, please don't top off until the bar is down to the last bar within the normal range.

Originally Posted by Qualeek
Lol..... I do know this, every engine is different and every car is too. Thats why there is the broad span of some who use oil and some who dont..keep a quart or two in the car. But also bring it in for consumption tests, just in case.
Good to know that every engine is different. Where do we take the vehicle for the consumption testing ?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
If your under warrenty, have the dealer do it. Its a simple thing.
Wait till oil level warning comes on, bring it in and have them top up to max fill (PIWIS Tester) and record the ammount.
Wait again for the warning, go back and top up. Take the ammount of oil it took for both times and determine how many miles driven. You will get your oil consumption per miles. Comapre that with spec.
Pretty much all our 2011 cars come back in with a "min oil light".
The bad part IMO is the wording. "Minimum oil" can be mistaken as almost no oil. Wish the warning was "a bit low dude" or "niedrigem Ölstand".....

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Kleev is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Qualeek
If your under warrenty, have the dealer do it. Its a simple thing.
That's exactly what I told my daughter and she said, "Right, dad, drive 1/2 hour out of my way and wait around for an hour while they fit me in for an oil fill. And do it every week. Not going to happen!"

The gauge tells you how much to top up, and it takes 30 seconds. . . Even your wife can do it.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
Is this only seen on the S and Turbo?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
but honestly Gamma, not sure if I am lucky or if my electronic dipstick is non-functional. Anyone else with such low oil consumption out there ??
If you are getting a reading, it presumably is working, as there is an error message "failure oil level measurement" that will appear, at least according to the manual. I think what happened to me is the system didn't reset after I added a quart. It's not stated in the manual, but the service tech said to reset the system after the hood is opened, you (sometimes) need to leave the key on for 2 minutes with the hood open. When I picked my car up last night they said the oil was reading at full, but I got home and it read overfilled, at least explaining where the 2 extra quarts I added went. So now it's being flat bedded back to the dealer, because driving it with too much oil can damage the catalytics

Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by gammaman
If you are getting a reading, it presumably is working, as there is an error message "failure oil level measurement" that will appear, at least according to the manual. I think what happened to me is the system didn't reset after I added a quart. It's not stated in the manual, but the service tech said to reset the system after the hood is opened, you (sometimes) need to leave the key on for 2 minutes with the hood open. When I picked my car up last night they said the oil was reading at full, but I got home and it read overfilled, at least explaining where the 2 extra quarts I added went. So now it's being flat bedded back to the dealer, because driving it with too much oil can damage the catalytics
Thats really sucks for you Gamma. That's my worst fear living three hrs away from a P-dealer. Well said on the fact that overfilling is really bad. That's why I warned Jace against topping up if the level reads okay. Even when it is down to the last bar, on my C4S I usually take atleast two readings within a 24 hr period before I actually top off. That's why it is soooo scary to buy a used Porsche from a non-enthusiast. We cannot expect everyone out there to be as diligent (or **** like most of us here are) when it comes to all these mechanical issues. Too bad thats why my bank balance keeps evaporating each time I buy a new Porsche

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 04-14-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Turns out my suspicions were correct- the oil level sensor was faulty! It apparently is an ultrasonic detector. When they got the car back in the shop they were able to determine that it was working erratically, so they have a new part on order, should be here Monday. My advice is, if you are getting erratic oil level readings, i.e. if the level seems to jump, inconsistent with the mileage, or if adding a quart doesn't register on the dipstick, you should have it checked out!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
3800 mikes now and I've put in slightly less than half a quart to keep at top green fill line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 oil consumption