Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:02 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frank69m
What kind of Oil and weight are you guys adding? Mobil 1? Redline? 0-40? 5-40?I guess it can get pricey after a while.
Mobil 1 0-40. So far after 4000 miles in 2 months, I have had to add 1 quart.

Originally Posted by FJS961
I'm on my second case of Mobil 1. I need to top off a quart every few hundred miles or so
Wow that seems extremely excessive. What kind of driving are you doing mostly, i.e stop and go or freeway?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
FJS961 has a spectacular aura aboutFJS961 has a spectacular aura about
It does seem excessive but the dealer has seen this and feels by around 10K miles it should improve. They already checked out or replaced the sensor. They actually advised that I "get on it more aggressively" to "seat the seals" I do very little freeway driving and its hard to get on the CTT without having to get OFF of it pretty quickly as triple digit speed arrives very quickly

Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
space111 is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Panamera V8 Oil consumption

Hi Everybody!
First of all, despite my poor english I hope you'll understand me.
Well.. reading your problems about porsche oil issue I was waiting for the solution post, but I didn't read one. Now, I guess, I have the solution what can be a good example for all. Two months ago I bought a panamera V8 in Germany with 30.000 km. I bought it from a Porsche dealer with extended guarantee, approved etc.. After 2000 km drive the oil check was lighting, so I put 1 liter extra oil in. I drove another 2000 Km and the check signal came again. I went to the hungarian porsche service and I told them my problem. They told me, they dont have time now (it was the end of the year) and I should come back in January. So I called the dealer in Germany where I bought the car. He told me the same ****, what I read here: 1 liter/1000 km is normal. I told him, this is ridiculous, dont play with me. He told me then, I should bring back in Germany, they drive 500 km and if the oil consumption is more then 0.5 liter they will check the motor. If not, the protocol doesnt allow him to do anything. I hadn't any choice to wait and take my car to the hungarian service. They were very polite, they understood my problem, they didn't test the car, but they started to check with endoscope inside the engine. Immediately they discovered by 3 spurking plugs traces of carbon. They called me and they informed me. They told me, that it is a clear sign of oil leak and they suggest me to open the engine. I said yes and they did so. And the result: By four piston sleeves there are clear and tactile lesions. Additionally the top of the pistons and the valves are full of black carbon. The service leader told me, that it's a flaw and they can't fix it so they made the docummentation and pics, they sent to the porsche factory and asked a new engine block. The factory accepted and the last week they sent the new engine. They told me today, that the car will be fixed in one week. After this experience I can tell you that these explanation of this issue is unacceptable. 1 liter in 1-2000 km can not be normal! Change oil 5-50w and change filter or separator is not the solution.. Be tough and persistent and ask your dealer to check your engine thoroughly. Well, this is my story, I hope I could help and give some guidelines.. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
13 000 miles and still have yet to add oil

Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
binner is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know if this is an issue with diesels as well?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
My oil consumption has gone way down, took about 20k mi. to get there; now burning a qt every 4-5,000 miles.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM
binner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by binner
Does anyone know if this is an issue with diesels as well?
bump

Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
PCCB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottAtlGa
Is anyone besides myself a little agitated that the 2011 (S in my case) is designed to burn a quart of oil every 600 miles? I mean, that mean adding oil once a week! Other than the time taken to add oil and some minimal additional expense, it just seems off that an engine is designed to use that much oil!
Does everyone just accept that is just a consequence of owning these vehicles or would you have not bought one had you been aware of it beforehand? Just curious about other opinions.....
Dear Scott,

Do you drive regularily uphill or park your car in an uphill inclined way?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
TheDoug is infamous around these parts
My wifes 2012 Cayenne S is needing a quart every 1600-1800 miles. We've complained to the dealer multiple times and told it's "normal". NOW WAY that amount of oil being used up is normal. I'm about to try to invoke the Texas Lemon Law but I guess if a manufacturer claims something odd is normal, it's not a lemon. This is nuts. Oddly we picked the car up in Europe and had it there for six months, never needed a drop in 5500 miles. It shipped back to the US and immediately started burning a quart every 2000 or less.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
My CTT was the same, at 30k I use very little oil
I think this normal, remember that 0W40 is very thin oil.
BTW the 30k service changes plugs and that really improved power.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 AM
LaicepsYdobon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheDoug
My wifes 2012 Cayenne S is needing a quart every 1600-1800 miles. We've complained to the dealer multiple times and told it's "normal". NOW WAY that amount of oil being used up is normal. I'm about to try to invoke the Texas Lemon Law but I guess if a manufacturer claims something odd is normal, it's not a lemon. This is nuts. Oddly we picked the car up in Europe and had it there for six months, never needed a drop in 5500 miles. It shipped back to the US and immediately started burning a quart every 2000 or less.
That's definitely not normal Doug. 2013 Cayenne S here with 4,4xx on the odo. I religiously check my oil level every week and so far I am one tick down from max. For your wife's Cayenne to burn 1 quart every 1600-1800 miles is excessive. Does her exhaust gas have a blue tint to it by any chance ?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
2013 CTT with 2700 miles and added 1.5 quarts last week. This was the first time I checked it since new 3 months ago. The display showed half way down (2 bars from top). I added a little at a time for fear of overfilling.