Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New 2011 Cayenne "S"-I need some guidance!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 AM
ccexxp1 is infamous around these parts
New 2011 Cayenne "S"-I need some guidance!

Hi All, I'm new here, this site seems really informative! This '11 is my 3rd Cayenne "S", black with black and anthracite full wood, neat combo, and by far the best to date. I ordered in June, received Sept. 28, loaded with air susp., panoramic roof, etc (love it-last system had more movable pieces, but this one is better when closed). The only question I cannot figure out is that when the headlights are off of a sunny day, and driving certain directions, its hard to read the white numbers on the dials (speeo, tach, etc). Of course, when the lights are on, the numbers illuminate, easy to read. Is this something I am overlooking, or is it a design feature that I just don't love? As far as the car in general, big difference, really easy to drive, and finally comfortable with vented seats and that front portion of the seat moving forward. The 8 speed works well too, seems like it shifts unnoticeably. The sutting off at red lights (full stops) is wierd, not sure I am used to that, and in NYC, too many stops. I do and have shut it off though. I only have 100 miles or so, will report more, if anyone has any questions, please ask! Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM
BTW..I did read the manual...

The manual indicates a little "sensor", but, when the headlights are off, I don't think its "sensing" anything. Could be simply my eyes, wonder if anyone else has this issue? If this is my biggest complaint, I'm good!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations.

Black and black is always very very classy. Would love to see some pics of the exterior/interior of your beauty. I do have a few questions.

1. Air susp: Other than the height adjustment for off-roading
and loading, how does it affect the dynamics of regular driving. In
other words what are some other benefits of air-suspension and
how does one take advantage of the different settings
for regular driving.
2. Panoramic roof: Any downside to this option that you can think
of like rattles, road noise etc. I know that there is a shade under the
roof but how much light does that cut off ? If you don't want any
ambient light at all can you have it that way.

FYI: I have a Cayenne S ordered for a mid-Jan 2011 delivery with panorama roof and air-suspension. Mine is a jet black metallic with espresso/cognac
interior.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Response for you

1. The Air suspension is really 2 components: PASM and the leveling feature. the PASM or the 3 buttons (comfort, normal and sport) make the most noticeable difference in the handling, the leveling feature and raise/lowering only makes it level, I don't sense any handling variance.
2. I LOVE the panoramic roof, but, if you dont love the sun as much as I do, it can be overwhelming. Also, the screen does NOT eliminate the sun like a solid piece, it's perforated. No leaks so far, no rattles. My old one was great too. I can bet it gets hot in some southern states though.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I have PASM on my C4S, so am well aware of it's benefits. I did not realize that PASM option is tied into the air suspension on the Cayenne's. Looks like the pano roof is a winner in my books..but as you mentioned it is definitely not for everyone.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
to elaborate on the Panoramic roof...

Now that I'm thinking about the panoramic roof, there are some substantial differences between the prior one and this one: some I like better, some not as much. For example, the prior system permitted 2 pieces to open (1 above and 1 below) the rear fixed piece. Thus, when fully opened, more sky or open area (66%). This one has 2 larger pieces, the front one goes on top of the fixed back one (about 50% open), seems much simpler to me. The benefit is that when closed (mainly for me) there is more glass and less bars across, and this was only $660, the old one was $3,900...BIG DIFFERENCE. I also got those roof rails, something that I could not order in the past (the ones that go front to back on each side), I like the look of those with a truck like vehicle. Too soon to tell about reliability since as I understand it, somehow mine was one of the first shipments with pano. roof. I bet Porsche simply went to the Audi garage and lifted the Q5 roof!! I will never know...looks similar to me though.
On another note, I'm thinking that I will look at the displays of the demo(s) at the dealer to figure out if my lights simply don't work, OR, if they are designed to only come on when the headlights/parking lights are on.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
sid_vicious is infamous around these parts
if you are up to it, would be very helpful to see some photos of the pano roof from inside the car with the sunshade open and closed. also, is there any choice of alternative shade/screen if you don't like the perforated one? thanks and congrats on the new ride.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Pano roof...

Sure, I can get some pics tonight (after work) of the roof, inside, open, closed, with screen, without screen, and try to post. I don't usually drive, and my car is in the garage at my apartment. The problem, though, is that I'm not sure I know how to post the pics! I do know how to email pics, so, once I take them, I will try, and if I can't post, if I email, is there anyone that will post them?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I have given you some rep (reputation) points for taking the effort to post pictures. I have PM'ed my email to you. So if you are not sure how to send the pics please email them to me. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
sid_vicious is infamous around these parts
Thanks! I'll send you my email as well in case you'd rather just email them.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
jwscfa is infamous around these parts
I have had my "S" for about two weeks and the instruments are hard to read except when the lights are on. If I were ordering a car I would go with the white dials like my Carrera "S" but it is a pricey option. The only other minor complaint I have about the car is the location of the power outlet in the front. It is so tucked away under the right side dash dash that it pulls down on my radar detector suction mount coiled cord almost enough to cause it to fall off. Nothing a straight cord would not fix otherwise it is a great car.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Wow another 2011 CAyenne S owner. Congrats. Can we see some specs and pictures of your ride ?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
jwscfa is infamous around these parts
Dark Blue Metallic, Grey Standard Leather. 20' Sport Design Wheels, 14 way seats, Birch Package and heated multifunction birch wheel. Vented and heated seats, Bose, PCM, Reverse camera, BiXenon, XM,Trailer coupling. Light comfort package, wheel crests and roof rails. My current pictures are too large to post but when I get smaller file size pics I will post.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
both sound nice! Post some pics!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
subscribing to get some pics of the pano roof. i live in Sacramento where our summers reach 105 or so but for $600 I couldn't pass up the pano option. figured if it gets too hot I can always tint it...

also, you think the railings make difference appearance wise? if you can post pics with the railings showing that would be great. i just started my ordering and don't want to make a mistake of not ordering them when the $ is so little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 2011 Cayenne "S"-I need some guidance!