Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne S build suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 AM
willy_jo is infamous around these parts
2011 Cayenne S build suggestions

Hi, I am new here.. finding this website very useful.. thanks for all the helpful comments. I am building my 2011 Cayenne S Jet Black exterior, Expresso/Cognac interior and struggling to decide on the following -

Wood Trim - Walnut vs Olive (I am a big fan of wood trims but haven't seen any pics of the espresso/cognac interior yet so can't decide between the two)

Rims - 20 inches Spyder vs 21 inches Turbo ( Absolutely love the look of the turbo.. but ride comfort is also important for me. I don't want to go for anything below 20 inches, my question is - would there be a significant difference in ride comfort between the two - 20 vs 21? Can anyone comment on the ride comfort with the 21s? Is it harsh?)

Seats - 18 way vs 14 way .... I sat on the 18 way adaptive few months ago and found it really uncomfortable (is it just me?) would 14 way with ruffled leather look ugly?

PDCC vs PTV - Can't afford to go for both. I have noticed that a few of you have opted for ptv over pdcc.. but I have read people say that while pdcc is noticeable in everyday driving, ptv is not.. so I am leaning towards pdcc.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 02:16 AM
ManMachine is infamous around these parts
Walnut over Olive IMO. I've seen a Panamera with Cognac interior and Olive wood - too much of a sea of golden yellow.

20" looks fine to me.
14-way is fine. 18-way are very nice seats but depends on the driver.
Use the savings to get PDCC and PTV.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ManMachine
Walnut over Olive IMO. I've seen a Panamera with Cognac interior and Olive wood - too much of a sea of golden yellow.

20" looks fine to me.
14-way is fine. 18-way are very nice seats but depends on the driver.
Use the savings to get PDCC and PTV.
The Panamera is not at all comparable; the cognac is monotone so yes, not enough contrast, I personally like the tineo wood with cognac on the Panamera. In the Cayenne, however, the olive provides a nice transition from the espresso roof liner, pillars, upper dash and center console to the lower dash and seats.

I ordered the 21" Turbo II wheels, but also found a set of 20" RS Spyders on ebay for winter, they are gorgeous, you can't go wrong with either.

It basically all boils down to personal preference. As far as the seats go, sit in both and see which you prefer.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
My advice: Ditch the 21 inch and go with the standard interior trim: Save the $$ and spend it on PDCC and PTV. Here is my rationale:-

The recipe for the ultimate Porsche DNA expression: 21 inch wheels, PASM, PDCC and PTV (in that order of importance). The PDCC/PTV combo will offer greater agility at every speed, more responsive steering, zero body roll and additional stability. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to drive like a madman to take advantage of these benefits.

I went with the 20 inch RS spyder wheel option (for a slightly less harsh of a ride with a small sacrifice in performance) along with PASM, PDCC, PTV. Your ordering a Cayenne S and cannot afford both these options....really

The look, feel and snug fit of the 18-way befits the sport cars nature of the Cayenne but I can see how one can be uncomfortable to some body frames. Please try to get some extended driving time on all three seat options and decide what suits you the best. Looks do matter (18 way has the best looks no doubt) but comfort is more important.

I personally think of MB, Lexus, etc when I see high gloss wood with all it's growth rings and knots in display...hence does not belong in a Porsche. Plus all the trim: aluminium, olive, birch, walnut will make the two tone even more busy. I went with the stock high gloss piano black wood (think that it would offer the best contrast for my choice of interior which is also the espresso/cognac). I would have really loved a matt finish like they have in the X5 (bamboo trim) which I really like but too bad there was'nt one.

Disclaimer: Above thoughts are purely my opinion. I am very new to Cayennes and have not owned or test driven any Cayenne with the PDCC/PTV option (given the lack of these options on most dealer inventories) so take it for whatever it's worth. However the literature, videos and reviews on these performance options are very compelling. Before I buy a car I do very solid research and I usually am not disappointed when I finally get into one.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
My advice: Ditch the 21 inch and go with the standard interior trim: Save the $$ and spend it on PDCC and PTV. Here is my rationale:-

The recipe for the ultimate Porsche DNA expression: 21 inch wheels, PASM, PDCC and PTV (in that order of importance). The PDCC/PTV combo will offer greater agility at every speed, more responsive steering, zero body roll and additional stability. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to drive like a madman to take advantage of these benefits.

I went with the 20 inch RS spyder wheel option (for a slightly less harsh of a ride with a small sacrifice in performance) along with PASM, PDCC, PTV. Your ordering a Cayenne S and cannot afford both these options....really

The look, feel and snug fit of the 18-way befits the sport cars nature of the Cayenne but I can see how one can be uncomfortable to some body frames. Please try to get some extended driving time on all three seat options and decide what suits you the best. Looks do matter (18 way has the best looks no doubt) but comfort is more important.

I personally think of MB, Lexus, etc when I see high gloss wood with all it's growth rings and knots in display...hence does not belong in a Porsche. Plus all the trim: aluminium, olive, birch, walnut will make the two tone even more busy. I went with the stock high gloss piano black wood (think that it would offer the best contrast for my choice of interior which is also the espresso/cognac). I would have really loved a matt finish like they have in the X5 (bamboo trim) which I really like but too bad there was'nt one.

Disclaimer: Above thoughts are purely my opinion. I am very new to Cayennes and have not owned or test driven any Cayenne with the PDCC/PTV option (given the lack of these options on most dealer inventories) so take it for whatever it's worth. However the literature, videos and reviews on these performance options are very compelling. Before I buy a car I do very solid research and I usually am not disappointed when I finally get into one.
I can't wait until you get your Cayenne!! Then, I can make the decision...

Old 10-23-2010, 06:30 PM
500hpGrl is infamous around these parts
Jet Black exterior, Expresso/Cognac interior sounds like a great combo! I have driven both the S and Turbo...in a few different color combo's...

Walnut versus Olive really comes down to what you prefer: Walnut is dark & shiny and Olive is lighter & not shiny. I know I'm stating the obvious...the Walnut might be a little too matchy with the espresso/cognac - perhaps the Olive would provide a nice contrast?

I'm sure you know this but with 20" and 21" tires - the wheel wells will be extended slightly on the Cayenne to accomodate the tire size. Can't go wrong with either size though - looks sweet either way. As far as comfort - make sure you get the air suspension - should offset any 'comfort' issues with the tires.

I found the 14-way and 18-way seats both comfortable - but again, it's your ride so make sure you spend some time in both seats to see what's going to be best for you.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 PM
jesh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by willy_jo
Hi, I am new here.. finding this website very useful.. thanks for all the helpful comments. I am building my 2011 Cayenne S Jet Black exterior, Expresso/Cognac interior and struggling to decide on the following -

Wood Trim - Walnut vs Olive (I am a big fan of wood trims but haven't seen any pics of the espresso/cognac interior yet so can't decide between the two)
I am ordering the same color, but in a Turbo. I went with walnut, the olive looks too light for me. I'd rather have the walnut blend in with the dash then a transitioning with the olive.

PDCC vs PTV - Can't afford to go for both. I have noticed that a few of you have opted for ptv over pdcc.. but I have read people say that while pdcc is noticeable in everyday driving, ptv is not.. so I am leaning towards pdcc.
I took a turbo for the day without PDCC and I can say it didn't bug me at all. I have an ML550 (2010) and it has body roll but I don't mind it (more significant to me then when I drove the Turbo for the day). A lot of people will say get it. Personally, I don't feel it's necessary but I got it anyhow If you get a chance, drive BOTH and see for yourself.[/quote]

Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JenK
I can't wait until you get your Cayenne!! Then, I can make the decision...
Jen, decision on what.....but I have a CS on order not a X5M ..... May I ask you to clarify the reason for that comment
Jesh, if one is not bothered by the bodyroll then the 3.5K is better spent on something else. I personally can't stand bodyroll and I drive quite a bit on mountain passes/twsities hence my decision to go with the whole 9 yards PASM, air-susp, PDCC, PTV. If all I was doing was NJ or PA turnpike then my decision would probably have been different. If anyone on this board spends a couple of days driving on the roads I drive in then it is a no-brainer.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I went with the stock high gloss piano black wood (think that it would offer the best contrast for my choice of interior which is also the espresso/cognac).
Is the stock option piano black wood? I didn't realize that it was wood. It looks like a plasticy material.. at least in the pictures.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by 500hpGrl
I'm sure you know this but with 20" and 21" tires - the wheel wells will be extended slightly on the Cayenne to accomodate the tire size. Can't go wrong with either size though - looks sweet either way. As far as comfort - make sure you get the air suspension - should offset any 'comfort' issues with the tires.
Wheel wells will be extended? What does that mean? Thanks, air suspension comes standard for the S in my region I'm trying to convince myself that the 20" looks good.. guess i will have to see it in person.. With the 21" it was love at first sight

Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Is the stock option piano black wood? I didn't realize that it was wood. It looks like a plasticy material.. at least in the pictures.
It is called monochrome high gloss black. I take my words back, it is not likely to be wood but certainly does not look cheap in my opinion.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Bill P. is infamous around these parts
Regarding the wheel well extension for wheels larger than 19"—my "S" is soon to be delivered with standard 18" wheels. I was undecided when I placed my order and have sense decided to have the dealer switch to 20" wheels. Is this possible or will I be forced to use 19"?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bill P.
Regarding the wheel well extension for wheels larger than 19"—my "S" is soon to be delivered with standard 18" wheels. I was undecided when I placed my order and have sense decided to have the dealer switch to 20" wheels. Is this possible or will I be forced to use 19"?
I wouldn't see why the well extensions could not be added afterwards. I also ordered 18 wheels with the intent to go with 20+ aftermarket wheels and keep the 18's for the winter.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Bill P. is infamous around these parts
Dumb question...would someone be kind enough to please explain exactly what the "wheel extensions" are?!

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Bill this thread that I started would be of some help to you:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ferrerid=40996

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S build suggestions