Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Manual Trans Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM
DanK is infamous around these parts
congrats on the arrival of your new Cayenne! you must be very excited.

I'm totally jealous! my V6 manual transmission Cayenne has a build date of 1/20 so I'm expecting it to be delivered in late feb/early march.

I can't wait to hear your driving impressions of the car, and the manual transmission in particular.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM
2011Cayenne is infamous around these parts
Thanks, I am pretty excited.
here is my build:
2T Jet Black Metallic
MA Standard Black Interior
EXT Active All Wheel Drive
PIP Porsche Intelligent Performanc
0M1 100 L Fuel Tank PE5 14-Way Power Seats with Memory VC2 HomeLinkŪ Garage Door Opener
0NA Deletion of Model Designation
1D6 Trailer Hitch without Hitch Ba
1NP Wheel Hub Cover with Coloured
3FE Power Tilt / Slide Moonroof
3S1 Roof Rails in Aluminum Look wi
9JA Non-Smoker Package
9VL BOSEŪ Surround Sound System
5ZF Porsche Crest Fr & R Headrests
PV3 Comfort Plus Package

8EA Bi-Xenon Lights with PDLS
4L6 AUTO DIMMING INTERIOR REARVIEW
6XT AUTOMATICALLY DIMMING EXTERIOR
7T1 PCM with Navigation
1N3 Variable Assist Power Steering
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA 7X8 Reversing Camera including Par
3Y8 Powered Sunscreen for R. Wndws
7B6 12-VOLT OUTLET IN REAR CENTER
9MB DIMMABLE INTERIOR LED LIGHTING
4A4 Heated Front and Rear Seats
4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)

I also got a second set of 20" RS Spyder Design Summer Tires and Rims and will be using the 18" Base Rim for winter tires.

With any luck the paperwork comes in today and I can pick it up.

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Nice Pepper
Joyeux Noel

Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Brez is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2011Cayenne
My Cayenne landed in Halifax on last Friday and delivered to the dealer yesterday. I went by today to drop off the plates and take a preview. It was pretty sweet. If all goes well I can pick it up tomorrow, just in time for Christmas.
Swwwweeet!!! Please once you a get a chance (after the whole family stops crowding around you this XMas) see if you can answer the following!

1. How do you find the position of the stick shift in the 2011 C? Is it right on, too close, too far forward?

2. Is it comfortable with the right distance between the arm rest and the stick shift to have your elbow rest or is your arm extended forward like a cantilever beam?

3. Is the gear shifting smooth even when loaded or do find that you have to slip the clutch a lot to move forward?

4. Is the gearing at highway speeds (65-80) result in high RPMs (3000+) which in turn result in higher cabin noise?

5. Would you do it again or get Auto?

thanks
Brez

Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
manishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud of
Having a Manual GTS let me tell you it's a blast to drive espeically going to Mammoth in the snow but the resale value on Manual Pepper is in the Dog house...unless you plan on keeping it for a while it's better to stick with the Tip...I can't belive I said that. Any ways, congratualtions and let us know how the manual drives

Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Brez
Swwwweeet!!! Please once you a get a chance (after the whole family stops crowding around you this XMas) see if you can answer the following!

1. How do you find the position of the stick shift in the 2011 C? Is it right on, too close, too far forward?

2. Is it comfortable with the right distance between the arm rest and the stick shift to have your elbow rest or is your arm extended forward like a cantilever beam?

3. Is the gear shifting smooth even when loaded or do find that you have to slip the clutch a lot to move forward?

4. Is the gearing at highway speeds (65-80) result in high RPMs (3000+) which in turn result in higher cabin noise?

5. Would you do it again or get Auto?

thanks
Brez
Hi Brez, just picked it up and drove back to work. Still to early to comment on all your questions but for the position of the stick it is right where I would want it. I am 6'3" so it works for me. I find the position very comfortable, you can leave your hand on the shift **** and comfortably rest your arm on the center console.
The shifting is very tight for an SUV. It is similar to my wife's Saab 9-3 Aero.
The cabin noise is really not noticeable. You hear the rumble of the engine. I tested a CS as well and the noise is the same.
To date I would still get the manual. I waited much longer to get the manual because I know I would miss the stick shift. It is a heavy vehicle so it will take some getting used to for sure.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Congrats!

I am 6'3" as well so the stick should be placed similarly for me. Next time you take it on the HWY let me know if you can the rpm at 75 or 80 mph and how is the noise level inside!

Thanks again
Brez

Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks Brez, I have done some highway driving and there is not a noticable noise at 80 mph. In fact I am destined for a speeding ticket as it is really hard to tell how fast you are going it is so quite. I actually turned off the auto volume on the PCM which increases the volume as the speed increases because you don't need it.
Another interesting feature is the Sport mode on the Manual. I was wondering how it would affect performance on a 6 speed as you are in control of the shifting. It may be my imagination but in sport mode the sound becomes huskier, shifting is smoother (more like a car) and it is much more responsive. I don't really know what is going on under the hood but these are the things I noticed.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by 2011Cayenne
Thanks Brez, I have done some highway driving and there is not a noticable noise at 80 mph. In fact I am destined for a speeding ticket as it is really hard to tell how fast you are going it is so quite. I actually turned off the auto volume on the PCM which increases the volume as the speed increases because you don't need it.
Another interesting feature is the Sport mode on the Manual. I was wondering how it would affect performance on a 6 speed as you are in control of the shifting. It may be my imagination but in sport mode the sound becomes huskier, shifting is smoother (more like a car) and it is much more responsive. I don't really know what is going on under the hood but these are the things I noticed.
2011Cayenne,
Do you have any more impression of the manual transmission to share with us? Did you figure out what the was happening when you selected "sport" mode? Any insight would be welcomed.

Cheers
Brez

Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Hi Brez, I think the sport mode makes the gas pedal more responsive and probably changes the timing on the valves towards more performance.
On the Manual transmission, I still really like it. It is fun to use when you are ripping around. The daily commute in stop and go traffic can be a bit tiresome as the Cayenne is a heavy vehicle. If I was to do it again I would get the manual. If it wasn't offered I would be happy with the Tiptronic as I don't think it takes away from the experience of driving the Cayenne.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks,
I have still to test drive a V6! The local dealer just does not have any!!!
Glad to see that the manual would still be your first choice. I think it would be very beneficial offroad or in snow!
Cheers

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
426h is infamous around these parts
Canīt you get the new cayenne with a stick and V8 in europe?
That would be a deal breaker for me. I ordered my old Cayenne S with manual and absolutley love it.
If I could change anyting, I would like a slightly longer frist gear and a lower 6:th, which is a overdrive, in the old generation cayenne anyway.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
hey 2011 Cayenne - do you miss having a hand break? how is the hill hold function working out for you? thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
hi DanK, it was one of the things I was very curious about. The electric brake is pretty sweet as I tended to back out of the garage with the handbrake on my last car. The electric just thinks for you and disengages.
The Hold function is again pretty cool. Our driveway is steep and having the vehicle not roll back was a nice touch. I wonder how long the servo will last though on the electric brake. Seems like a high rust area with all the salt in canada.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM
glad to hear you're not missing the handbrake. I live in San Francisco so was a bit worried about negotiating the hills with just the Hill Hold feature. thanks for the update

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Manual Trans Questions