Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

V6 Engine - 2011 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
V6 Engine - 2011 Cayenne

Does anyone know if the v6 engine that's used in the 2011 cayenne is the same as that from the base panamera?

Also i've read in various areas that the panamera v6 engine was developed solely by porsche, but the v6 engine in the cayenne is vw derived?

anyone have any reading material or knowledge about the history of the v6 engine in the 2011 cayenne?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
did some searching and answered my own question....

"While you will likely mistake the exterior of the six-cylinder Panamera for its eight-cylinder or turbocharged siblings at first glance, don't confuse the new 3.6-liter V6 in the Panamera with the revised 3.6-liter V6 in the 2011 Porsche Cayenne – they are completely different. The SUV shares its Volkswagen-sourced 10.6-degree iron-block six with the Touareg (touted as the "VR6 FSI"). However, Porsche has developed an all-new lightweight 90-degree aluminum-block V6 for its flagship sedan. Not only does this dissuade potential naysayers, but it allows the automaker to assemble the V6 alongside the V8 (they share 40 percent of their componentry) and easily adapt the V8's all-wheel drive system to the new V6."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/06/2...iew-road-test/

here's another one...

"While the world is just now getting its hands on it, the arrival of the six-cylinder model has been anticipated for some time, but its powerplant specifics have been largely shrouded in mystery. With an all-new Porsche-developed 3.6-liter V6 on the table (recently fitted to the Panamera), the automaker had a choice between its own engine and an updated version of the carryover Volkswagen-sourced 3.6-liter unit. Economics won the battle, so the standard Cayenne will once again share powerplants with the Volkswagen Touareg."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/13/2...iew-road-test/

this is not to say that i'm not getting a v6, and i test drove one yesterday and was very happy with the performance.

should i expect vw reliability though with the v6 engine? i'm really curious as to where the v6 cayenne engine is built, i assume a vw factory? or is it at least a shared vw/porsche factory?

Last edited by 2011PorscheCaye; 02-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Motortrend: "The Cayenne's V6 is the 3.6-liter V-6 is an updated version of the engine introduced at the 2007 midlife makeover of the first-generation Cayenne. It's a member of the Volkswagen Group's long-lived, narrow-angle, vee-engine family. Designed in the late 1980s, it first appeared in Europe (in the VW Passat) in 1991, and has been persistently developed over two decades, including, in the middle of this decade, the adoption of a 10.6-degree angle instead of the earlier 15 between cylinder banks.

On paper, the engine in the least expensive version of the new Cayenne looks fine. Check the maximum outputs and you'll see the number 295 both times. But while the power and torque figures are highly competitive, driving it reveals that the engine's refinement isn't. Idle isn't as smooth as it should be. Then, around 3000 rpm, there's a period of tingling vibration. And the last 1000 rpm before redline isn't a pleasant thing to hear. To be blunt, the engine falls short of Porsche's elevated standards.
Exactly how high those standards are has been made plain by the 3.6-liter designed by Porsche for the new V-6 version of the Panamera. The European launch of the Cayenne and Panamera V-6s was staged over consecutive days on roads around Cologne, Germany. Driving one, then, next day, the other, was educational to say the least.
Porsche's own engine is smoother and offers greater sonic satisfaction. The Panamera V-6 also feels more snappily responsive, although some credit for that is surely due to its sporty seven-speed double-clutch - PDK in Porsche's lexicon - transmission. The Cayenne's VW-sourced V-6 is teamed with a not-quite-so-sporty conventional automatic with torque convertor. Made by Japanese company Aisin, it's nevertheless a fine transmission. It deserves to be bolted to a better engine".

Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 PM
ouch. i would've loved to get the s, but for 15k more i couldn't do it. after driving the base model i'll still definitely enjoy it, but knowing that there's a vw engine in there will bother me... not enough to pay an extra 15k though.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2011PorscheCaye
ouch. i would've loved to get the s, but for 15k more i couldn't do it. after driving the base model i'll still definitely enjoy it, but knowing that there's a vw engine in there will bother me... not enough to pay an extra 15k though.
You'll get over it- quickly. The truck drives great, I haven't noticed any of the idle or vibrations issues you've read about, but then again, I'm a not critic and I'm not comparing it's engine refinement to any other Porsche experience. However, I will say this. I can now understand the passion people have for their P cars. The base Cayenne serves as an entry point for many Porsche consumers that aren't as interested in the Boxster or Cayman. I didn't want to spend the extra $ for the V8 either, but after having the 6 for just over a month has made me a believer. I have no regrets with my 6, and it's because of my 6 that in a few years from now, I will consider a V8.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I have yet to see anyone not enjoy their V6 Cayenne and most if not all the owners who visit this forum are enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
yea i can definitely see myself transitioning into porsches for the next years to come. i've previously been a BMW guy (i've had a 740, X5, 550) but just sitting in the cayenne and driving it... man amazing.

they really made the interior a whole level better than the current cayenne i think. back in '07 i was comparing the current gen x5 with the cayenne (which i also test drove back then) and i thought the cayenne was a decent performing car, but the interior just didn't do it for me. so at that time i got the x5. i can't say the x5 has anything on the new gen cayenne; performance, styling; and interior luxury.