Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by http
Thanks everyone . Those are great responses.
My june build up will be locked soon . V6 will serve me well for now. If i am impressed and get addicted to power ..., likely ..will get Audi R8 or 911 t in few years.
You wont be disappointed! I'm loving mine in every way. The power is def there but the handling and agility is what makes the cayenne a Porsche!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM
MAPC is infamous around these parts
I think that most of the people on here do a pretty good job of researching and selecting the 'right' Cayenne for them. I haven't read of anyone regretting getting the wrong model. For me, I have almost never- in all of the cars that I have ever purchased (of which there were many- perhaps even TOO many!), opted for the 'base' engine. In the case of the Cayenne, I felt that the V6 was more than adequate for my needs and I was excited to not have to spend more $$ than necessary.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
ronl is infamous around these partsronl is infamous around these parts
It seems not to have surfaced in this thread that the V6 is sourced from VW and NOT the same 300hp V6 in the panamera. Bruixman did a good job scoping out price differences and there is a good thread here called something like Playing with Numbers that really brings into relief the price and option differences.

Both 6s are direct injected. I think the panamera, like the cs and turbo, have steplessly adjustable variable valve timing which automatically adjusts for performance driving. Also, the press has beaten up on the VW six as having more vibration. All that said, I have yet to see anyone here not love their V6 Cayenne.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
MAPC is infamous around these parts
Agreed

Originally Posted by ronl
It seems not to have surfaced in this thread that the V6 is sourced from VW and NOT the same 300hp V6 in the panamera. Bruixman did a good job scoping out price differences and there is a good thread here called something like Playing with Numbers that really brings into relief the price and option differences.

Both 6s are direct injected. I think the panamera, like the cs and turbo, have steplessly adjustable variable valve timing which automatically adjusts for performance driving. Also, the press has beaten up on the VW six as having more vibration. All that said, I have yet to see anyone here not love their V6 Cayenne.
From all of the research that I had done, it seemed that the biggest complaint about the V6 was that it was sourced from VW. For me, that was a non-issue. If the reviewers said something like "since the V6 was sourced from VW, it has the following 6 negatives...." then that would matter. For me, I liked the way it drove, I liked its fuel economy and I liked the way it was priced.

I was looking at this from a practical perspective: I was comparing it to other $60K cars and not $80K cars. Compared to all other SUV's I looked at between $50-60K, the V6 Cayenne was a clear winner.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by MAPC
From all of the research that I had done, it seemed that the biggest complaint about the V6 was that it was sourced from VW.
Better get used to VW/Audi Group sourced engines and parts in your Porsches. We have only seen the beginning!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ronl

this is the thread, i remember it from the other forum.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...immensely.html

11,5 diff after options variance... and then the packages save you more, but they save more for both vehicles.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Dunno my brain was telling me C and my emotions telling me CS. At the end of the day its going to be driven in the city 90% of the time so the C would have been perfect but I have never owned a V8 and wanted to see what it was like. I presume they will get the same in gas efficiency.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
When you say city 90%, do you mean highway for the other 10%? If you meant off-road do you have another vehicle that you can use?

Originally Posted by uhn2000
Dunno my brain was telling me C and my emotions telling me CS. At the end of the day its going to be driven in the city 90% of the time so the C would have been perfect but I have never owned a V8 and wanted to see what it was like. I presume they will get the same in gas efficiency.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I must be the only one here that didnt like the V6. I traded mine for a CS that was sitting in the dealer's lot a couple of weeks after delivery. Lost a few bucks but definetely I am more happy now.
I couldnt stand that my old Dodge Durango wast faster off the line.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
bruinxman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
I must be the only one here that didnt like the V6. I traded mine for a CS that was sitting in the dealer's lot a couple of weeks after delivery. Lost a few bucks but definetely I am more happy now.
I couldnt stand that my old Dodge Durango wast faster off the line.
That personally was what I had an issue with also but since my wife didn't care either way (primarily her car) I was able justify it through costs (after options the price gap was only $10K) and ended up ordering the CS. Plus when I drive it I would have been disappointed that it couldn't pick up fast enough and to your point seeing an old Durango zoom by would have made me sad. But different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
http is infamous around these parts
Thanks ,

There is no end to power .. turbo is the only thing which will make everyone happy . That is not practical for me . I do n't do off road .., City drive to work , ocassionally get excited about doing 80 -90 , that 's it . V6 sounds okay for my needs . This is my first german car ...
To me burmester is more important than the extra 100 hp .
Different strokes for different folks....

Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
Don't forget the new power kit for the turbo.

Originally Posted by http
Thanks ,

There is no end to power .. turbo is the only thing which will make everyone happy . That is not practical for me . I do n't do off road .., City drive to work , ocassionally get excited about doing 80 -90 , that 's it . V6 sounds okay for my needs . This is my first german car ...
To me burmester is more important than the extra 100 hp .
Different strokes for different folks....

Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 PM
http is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by synk
Don't forget the new power kit for the turbo.
Yeah .........,all right ... . How can you live without a modded car ??

Need for speed ... there is no end .

Here is my solution..
If and when i feel the V6 cayenne is slow... Crank the volume on burmester , life will be fine after that .

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by synk
When you say city 90%, do you mean highway for the other 10%? If you meant off-road do you have another vehicle that you can use?
Ya hehehehe.. yes highway . In all honesty the rumble and growl of that NA V8 was just intoxicating - I was shocked that I was in an SUV. Can't wait to take delivery.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
DonS is infamous around these parts
I had the same questions last year. Actually drove a few hundred miles to a dealer who had both in stock. I mainly wanted to see if the V6 was adequate. Test drove and ordered the 6.

I've had the 6 for a few months now and no complaints about the power. Around town and on the highway we find it fine. Bear in mind it's an SUV. Not a 911. If I wanted a rocket-mobile I would have not put another 10 to 50 k in an SUV.

Another factor. I don't think Porshe really has designed a reliable V8 for this car. Look at all the threads for coolant pipes, coils, and the recent stop sale on all the V8s. The V6 is a VW engineered engine an appears to have be much more reliable. Maybe the Porshe engineers need help from VW.

So, up to you, but I took the 10K savings from and S and put it into options. It's worked fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...