Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
They stopped selling the V8s?!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DonS
Bear in mind it's an SUV. Not a 911. If I wanted a rocket-mobile I would have not put another 10 to 50 k in an SUV.
I respectufully disagree.
This is not just an SUV, its a $60K+ Sport-SUV, and in my mind, Porsches are not supposed to be slower than my old Durango or my in laws Grand Caravan minivan, this is simply not right.
If I wanted just an SUV I would have bought a Toyota Land Cruiser hands down, which is also faster than the Cayenne V6.

Last edited by galion; 05-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
Also, remember it doesn't have the low range transfer case like the previous gen, so if you're going to do some light off-roading it might be better to opt for a V8.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
I respectufully disagree.
This is not just an SUV, its a $60K+ Sport-SUV, and in my mind, Porsches are not supposed to be slower than my old Durango or my in laws Grand Caravan minivan, this is simply not right.
If I wanted just an SUV I would have bought a Toyota Land Cruiser hands down, which is also faster than the Cayenne V6.
Exaggerate much?

I'm not going to waste my time looking up numbers, but I highly doubt any of the vehicles you mentioned are faster than a 2011 V6 Cayenne 0-60. Possibly a Durango with a 5. whatever liter hemi engine? Even so, probably not by much.

The only comment I can agree with you on is that the Cayenne is a Sport SUV. Sure, speed and power can make it sportier, but having less power doesn't take away from the handling & agility that makes the Cayenne a Porsche. You have a V8 and are proud of it, great. But please don't try to make it sound like us V6 owners have wasted our money on some piece of junk.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM
http is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slw23
Exaggerate much?

I'm not going to waste my time looking up numbers, but I highly doubt any of the vehicles you mentioned are faster than a 2011 V6 Cayenne 0-60. Possibly a Durango with a 5. whatever liter hemi engine? Even so, probably not by much.

The only comment I can agree with you on is that the Cayenne is a Sport SUV. Sure, speed and power can make it sportier, but having less power doesn't take away from the handling & agility that makes the Cayenne a Porsche. You have a V8 and are proud of it, great. But please don't try to make it sound like us V6 owners have wasted our money on some piece of junk.
I do not buy the comparison with Dodge and minivan slightest bit .....
There is so much more than 100 extra hp in this SUV. I am happy with my decision to go with V6 . I do not do any off road at all . I think city drive is enough for me . I like the fuel economy of V6.
As said earlier , Burmester and technology package is must for me . I do not care for extra HP at present . If i feel need for speed ..Turbo is what i will think not V8 ....

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Lastly i have seen many good reviews of the V6 on rennlist and here . No obvious major problems . May be the VW engine is better .

Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
http somehow I missed this thread, now too late in the night and don't have the patience to read all posts on this thread. I've have not driven the v6. Just test drove the CS and CTT before going for the custom order. I did drive the Panamera V6 and was totally awestruck with the experience and never felt that it was underpowered (granted it is Porsche V6 and PDK is better than tiptronic). Cayenne V6 is superb for city driving but some may feel that it is slightly underpowered forhighway but I would disagree. Yes it will never be as fast as a V8 or have it's characteristic growl. I suggest you spend sometime driving both and see what fits your needs. Remember get it right the first time (be it v6 or v8) otherwise it will cost you more down the road to trade up. Plus you will be driving an expensive vehicle that you purchased brand new with an element of doubt in your mind.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 05-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Boxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the roughBoxster_S_girl is a jewel in the rough
I'd only take my 987S in for service when I could reserve the 957 as a loaner. It was always the VR6 model, but I LOVED it. I was definitely pleasantly surprised with it's feel, the first time I drove it. I had a Toyota 4Runner before it and felt the power felt at least as sufficient.

It was "enough" such that when it came time for me to buy something a little more roomy, I didn't hesitate looking at the C6 as well as the CS. Eventually, I stumbled across the perfect Cayenne for me: a 955 6 spd, base. The manual sold me... it was just too fun, too quirky, and too good a deal to pass up.

Only once did I wish it had more power: I was late for an appointment, and in a rush (not how I usually like to drive the Cayenne). Other than that, my Cayenne has it's intended use, and my Boxster has its intended use.

And both meet it perfectly.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
http somehow I missed this thread, now too late in the night and don't have the patience to read all posts on this thread. I've have not driven the v6. Just test drove the CS and CTT before going for the custom order. I did drive the Panamera V6 and was totally awestruck with the experience and never felt that it was underpowered (granted it is Porsche V6 and PDK is better than tiptronic). Cayenne V6 is superb for city driving but some may feel that it is slightly underpowered forhighway but I would disagree. Yes it will never be as fast as a V8 or have it's characteristic growl. I suggest you spend sometime driving both and see what fits your needs. Remember get it right the first time (be it v6 or v8) otherwise it will cost you more down the road to trade up. Plus you will be driving an expensive vehicle that you purchased brand new with an element of doubt in your mind.

Thanks Woot...

Your post is very helpful. V6 it is now . The order is locked . I am happy..

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 PM
d_amt_78 is infamous around these parts
I've recently ordered a V6. Both V6 and V8 are great; however, the 300 bhp is more than enough for me. Practically, with the current traffic conditions and the strict speed limit regulations, I can't see how people would be able to use the 400 or 500 bhp to the fullest. I can't even see the 300 bhp being used to the fullest.

It really doesn't matter if any other SUV is faster than my Cayenne. I can't see any of us racing on the public roads going to work or to pick up kids from school or to Walmart.

I agree that the Cayenne is a sport SUV and not only an SUV but at the end of the day it's not the low ultra light sport car. So if I'm looking a a sport car that pushes all the buttons of a sport car then I would go with the 911.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by d_amt_78
I've recently ordered a V6. Both V6 and V8 are great; however, the 300 bhp is more than enough for me. Practically, with the current traffic conditions and the strict speed limit regulations, I can't see how people would be able to use the 400 or 500 bhp to the fullest. I can't even see the 300 bhp being used to the fullest.

It really doesn't matter if any other SUV is faster than my Cayenne. I can't see any of us racing on the public roads going to work or to pick up kids from school or to Walmart.

I agree that the Cayenne is a sport SUV and not only an SUV but at the end of the day it's not the low ultra light sport car. So if I'm looking a a sport car that pushes all the buttons of a sport car then I would go with the 911.
Amen....