Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM
http is infamous around these parts
2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...

1. Please define the word "performance as it pertains to cayenne.
2. V6 vs V8 . Is the difference in power huge .....
3. V6 vs V8 maintainence
4. V6 vs V8 resale value.

I have ordered a v6..., It seems people who have a V8 in general think V6 is very average.. not worth getting ,does not have enough power .
What do you guys think ??
Is V6 that worthless ?
I am coming from a Lexus Rx 330..., What do i expect ??
I drive 20 miles each way to work ,occasional long drives , never go above 80-90. Is V6 plenty...
What will i be missing except a bit extra power ...

Thanks

Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Coming from the Lexus you will be amazed in every way when compared!!
The v6 is a bit underpowered in my opinion. With the v8 you'll stay in a lower fear faster and probably get equal gas mileage as the v6 but have the option to have more power when needed.
I would opt for the v8 if I was you.
As far as resale, the v8 is a stronger resale without question.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
The light weight rx and the basic options will make you feel you're coming from a tin can on wheels to a tank, even if you just get the v6. Don't get me wrong we own a GX and a LX and a land cruiser, they are good cars to a point but the Porsche cayenne is in a different league than any out there. No comparison.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
Performance, IMO, does not only mean power, it also means steering response, feel of suspension, and drive quality. The V6 and NA V8 will be identical in these areas without the upgrades, with the big difference in HP and torque in the V8. I've learned most will steer towards the V8, but keep in mind those are folks that are not only enthusiats, but are also coming from other high performance vehicles. I will agree with Jace that you will absolutely love any variant of the new Cayenne, esp compared to the RX. I only say this because my wife drives an RX350, and there really is no comparing the two. I honestly have a hard time driving her car anymore.

I will respectfully disagree that resale is better on the CS, primarily as noted by the residual value Porsche provided on similar lease programs. Time will only tell on this one.

W/r/t maintenance, obviously too early to tell on this new gen, but from what I've read over the past several months on this and other forums, the V6 is more reliable of the older gen Cayennes. I haven't seen the issues of plastic coolant pipes, scored cylinders, carden shaft, etc. on the V6s that seem to plague some of the older V8s.

All that said, if money isn't an issue and you have doubts about the V6, go with the CS. I can tell you that I love my V6- it drives great and has sufficient power when comparing it to my previous cars, but it doesn't mean I haven't thought about that V8. Good luck, I'm certain you'll be happy either way you go.

Last edited by slw23; 05-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 PM
kwihk is infamous around these partskwihk is infamous around these parts
I would say go for V8 but we all know Everything in Porsche is option so...
If ur easy with the throttle I'd say V6 might better suit u with extra option!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Ya everyone has to draw a line somewhere or you'll just end up spending $150k+ on a cayenne and that's just not fun for anyone I just drew my line after all options were added.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
the v6 is lightyears ahead of last years v6.. most that have driven the v6 its been the previous model or a light test drive and they base their opinion off that.

i would say the 2011 v6 is quicker than average for an SUV with 300hp..

i would also say the v6 surprised me very much seeing that my only drive with it was a calm test drive... i also calmly test drove the v8 and sounded better but couldnt really stretch its legs.. now that i love my v6 i think about how much better and faster the v8 would be... but honestly if i jumped to the v8 i would just get the turbo... all the standard options on the turbo plus the 500hp beast under the hood sells it for me.

my v6 is quick,
v8 is a badass and i wanna go back to dealer to drive one in sport mode.
v8 TT would just be INSANE... but end of day i'll buy a 911 TT before a CTT as for the 20k diff i love the 911.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
as far as bang for the buck, there s NO possible way u can say the v6 isnt the best bang for buck.

same chassis,
same trans,
same towing,
same interior,
same looks minus (hood/tailpipes/front bumper)
same options,

so for 50k you get everything porsche but "only" 300hp.

for 17k more you can add 100hp and get silver calipers (and still add options)

for 56k more you can add 200hp and get red calipers, new hood/bumper and tail pipes, (other standard options also) but still add options.

no way you can say 2 v6's is not better than 1 turbo.. dollar for dollar, cent for cent... its the best SUV deal out of any maker... the other makers v8's are slower and use more gas than the v6 cayenne.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
deddie is infamous around these parts
I received a V6 Cayenne loaner car from my dealer for a couple of days while my 911 was being serviced. Being the V6 model, I didn't expect much. I was really surprised how much I liked it. Pulled harder than I expected and was way sportier than any other SUV I have driven. I walked away thinking the V6 would be a great value for someone looking for a sporty SUV, but not needed big power or heavy towing needs.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 AM
SeaCay is infamous around these parts
+1 for the V6 Cayenne. Coming off an RX you will be very excited by the differences. We have had several RXs, GS, and LS in Lexus and the C is much more fun but also luxurious. The V6 has plenty of pop without even going into the sport mode so unless you will racing for pink slips I doubt you will have any regret in getting the the C V6. The bigger question is, which options to get? Lots of threads on that.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 AM
synk is infamous around these parts
I'm only coming from an I4, and I'm leaning towards a V8. I'm assuming it's going to be better for off-road and towing.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 AM
hrd
hrd is infamous around these parts
I visited a Porsche dealership today to look at Cayennes and just happened to ask if the Panamera is still the best-selling Porsche. The salesperson said no, it's now the V6 Cayenne. The dealer had no V6s on the lot. That should tell you something about the resale value going forward.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM
MAPC is infamous around these parts
Most of what has been said above is correct with the exception of some of the earlier comment about resale values. The V6 has the highest residual. In other words, the % up charge for the V8 when new evaporates substantially on the used market. Time will tell if that applies to the new gen as well but all indications indicate that it will.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:54 AM
bruinxman is infamous around these parts
I was in the same boat as most of you guys. I tested the V6 and it was not bad pretty decent compared to what I expected but there was still lag as we had the sales person, myself, and the wife in the car. Again not bad but not what I'm used to with my M (2 totally different vehicles). Still overall its a great car and the wife is going to be driving it most of the time, but I still wanted move. Is the price difference justified? Not sure it all depends on how much of an impact the price differences makes to you. I think I would have been ok with either but I wanted the V8 but it would mean extra $$$.

So then I looked into things a little more because I was thinking what wa1l1in was thinking is the only difference the engine? Nope. Just like the CTT comes with a lot of standard options, the CS comes with more stuff when you pick options or the options are priced cheaper on the CS.

For example PASM does NOT come with the premium package on the C but it does on the CS (at virtually the same price) - add $2K. The 19' turbo wheels are $400 more on the C than the CS. For those getting the tiptronic its standard on the CS but a $3K option on the C. The panorama roof is $1,200!!! more expensive on the C than the CS.

So at the end of the day I priced both vehicles based on what options I wanted and you know what? That $17K price difference dropped to $10K because the options made up $7K. Since I wanted the CS anyway, I found a way to justify this based on price too because if I am going to spend that much on this car an extra $10K wasn't going to break the camels back and I would be getting something I am truly happy with (thank god I didn't test the CTT - ignorance is bliss). I put the order in last week and it gets here early August.

With that said my dealer did say the C sells much better than the CS or CTT - duh! unless you have $100K just under the bed doing nothing.

Can't wait until it gets here!

Last edited by bruinxman; 05-15-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM
http is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone . Those are great responses.
My june build up will be locked soon . V6 will serve me well for now. If i am impressed and get addicted to power ..., likely ..will get Audi R8 or 911 t in few years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 ... V6 vs V8...help ...