Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DRL LED's on turbo vs s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Here is a pic of my drl's
They come on as soon as you turn the key one notch
Name:  DSC00348.jpg
Views: 9249
Size:  41.3 KB

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Wish someone could figure how to leave those ON with the rectangular horizontal lights at the same time.....

My service guys tried even contacted Porsche..... No luck.....

Anyone???

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Today my service manager said no go on the conversion too!

Last edited by kw911TT; 08-30-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 AM
SlipR35 is infamous around these parts
Just finished converting the standard front over to the full turbo front. Had to rewire the headlights / daytime running lights and parking light connections to get everything to operate as per the stock turbo.

I did try to get both the turbo daytime running lights (4 LED's in the headlight assembly) and the lower horizontal parking lights in the bumper to come on together and stay on all the time.

However the module that controls the lighting won't let this happen as there is too much current draw and it turns both lights off. The module is looking for a specific current and is very sensitive to any changes outside the norm of what it is expecting to see. If it doesn't operate within set parameters it won't switch the lights on.

So from first hand experience I can confirm that the 4 LED's cannot be set to come on with the front parking lights as firstly it would require rewiring the lights and secondly reprogramming the lighting control module.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 AM
INDV6 is infamous around these parts
So apart from changing the front bumper you also changed the headlights to the turbo version (with the 4 led's) ? Therefore you no longer have the DRL in the light strip in the bumper.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Correct, I have the turbo headlights with 4 LED Daytime Running Lights and also the turbo parking lights in the bumper in place of the original LED's (new setup is all wired up and working). Keep in mind that I modified the stock wiring harness to match that of the turbo harness so that everything would work correctly.

It doesn't matter whether you are running the stock Cayenne LED's in the bumper or the turbo version rectangular parking lights, unless you modify the wiring you cannot get these lower lights to work in the correct sequence or together with the 4 LED daytime running lights in the turbo headlights.

I tried numerous combinations and nothing other than the stock cayenne or stock turbo wiring setup would work with the bi xenon lighting module without throwing up error codes on the dash (there are two lighting modules in the Cayenne's with Bi Xenons and they are the same part number for the turbo as for the stock cayenne)

My post was in answer to the query below.

Originally Posted by Jace
Wish someone could figure how to leave those ON with the rectangular horizontal lights at the same time.....

My service guys tried even contacted Porsche..... No luck.....

Anyone???
You could put the turbo headlights into a stock Cayenne with the stock daytime running lights in the bumper however there would be absolutely no way to get the 4 LED's in the turbo headlights to function. The stock Cayenne wiring loom for the headlights is missing the necessary pins and thus power compared with the wiring loom for the stock turbo. Hence why I had to rewire it all to get the Turbo headlights to work correctly.

Last edited by SlipR35; 01-07-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Slip,

If one has a CS and installs the turbo front bumper (and retains the CS headlights), will the turbo's LED strips in the bumper work? Is there re-wiring involved?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
hardracing is infamous around these parts
Reading this thread really took the wind out of our sales.

For a minute there we were hoping someone came up with a solution to make

the 4 LED DRL's stay on ALL THE TIME. Kinda like the New Range Rovers.

Why does Porsche always do things, NOT what the public wants.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
finiteyoda is infamous around these parts
Well, FWIW, the 4 LED DRL's wouldn't really be visible once the main headlamps come on. It would be nice to have the lower LED's stay on all the time (the ones integrated with the turn signals), but if you don't have a turbo you don't have that problem anyway...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by finiteyoda
Well, FWIW, the 4 LED DRL's wouldn't really be visible once the main headlamps come on. It would be nice to have the lower LED's stay on all the time (the ones integrated with the turn signals), but if you don't have a turbo you don't have that problem anyway...
You can make the lower LED's stay on all the time by just turning the lights to ON. You dont even have to remember to turn it back to AUTO when you turn the car off, because the lights will turn off when the engine is off regardless. Try it and see.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
finiteyoda is infamous around these parts
Right, but then your main headlamps are on all the time during the day. I don't think there's any way to make both the 4 LED's and the lower LED's stay on all the time (other than to unlock the car, but that only lasts for like a minute).

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by finiteyoda

There are a few locals that have the newer style Landrovers.

You can clearly see the LED Running lights, that are located around the Xenon... even when they are on.

Would assume the Cayenne would be no different.

And agreed, the Lower Night time Running Lights would be nice if they stay on for DRL as well.

Last edited by hardracing; 02-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I tried this when I was rewiring the lights on my car. In theory it's possible to do it and I did wire it up to check. The main problem is that the allowable tolerance for the current draw on the lights is set by the factory and it is very very particular.

When we tried to run the 4 x DRL's around the headlight at the same time that the lights were running the headlight wouldn't work and it would throw an error code on the dash. As soon as you wired it correctly all went ok. Unless you can change the parameters for the current draw limitations I think it will remain a pipe dream. Obviously the landrovers have a higher tolerance on the current draw (besides - lights don't work on landrovers... they're made by Lucas, the prince of Darkness..:-)

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by SlipR35
I tried this when I was rewiring the lights on my car. In theory it's possible to do it and I did wire it up to check. The main problem is that the allowable tolerance for the current draw on the lights is set by the factory and it is very very particular.

When we tried to run the 4 x DRL's around the headlight at the same time that the lights were running the headlight wouldn't work and it would throw an error code on the dash. As soon as you wired it correctly all went ok. Unless you can change the parameters for the current draw limitations I think it will remain a pipe dream. Obviously the landrovers have a higher tolerance on the current draw (besides - lights don't work on landrovers... they're made by Lucas, the prince of Darkness..:-)

Stupid Pipe Dreams....