Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S 2012 - One Week Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Cayenne S 2012 - One Week Review

Not to try and outdo any of the amazing reviews on this site (w00t) I will give my brief rendition of this amazing SUV/truck/SAV after one week of ownership. I will admit at first I was shaky and unsure if we made the perfect choices but after spending some good time with our CS I think we nailed it for us.

Cayenne S: I was leaning towards a Turbo in fear that the S would not be a enough power for our driving but that S/V8 is fantastic and I finally figured out how to get it revving and peppy when it needs to be. Maybe an exhaust/intakes in the future but that’s about it.

Full Leather: It really adds such a nice plush experience to the ride and the car. I thought people would not notice since it was black but we lovvvee full black leather, just so hot! Next time I might order it with contrast stitching to give it that extra pop (I thought it came with gut metal but was wrong?!)

Black Interior Trim: @BMW the piano black gloss trim is an exclusive/individual option. At Porsche it’s a basic one for the CS. I love it, by far my favourite composition of them all. If you are worried about whether it looks “rich” enough, don’t!

Bose Package: XM Radio is a must, the CD/DVD changer is great for my massive mp3 burned compilations - I love how it actually lists a view of all disks in the changer and their names so you know what one to select SWEEET! The BOSE in the Cayenne is unreal and definitely worth the upgrade. It kills the one in my Targa and really gets the music bouncing; probably the best sound system I have ever owned.

Comfort Package: Auto sun shades are too cool our future babies will love that. The seat ventilation in the Cayenne works so much better then the Targa and really cools you off. The Lane Change assist is great for the wife but I think its a bit conservative to my driving (in and out) style . The park camera is great but the Japan earthquake has delayed the camera till November. The comfort seats are just that, comfortable you could sit in them for days. The seats have more adjustable options then a normal human would need, I could not imagine the 18 way. The comfort lighting package is special and really adds that next level touch to the car – especially the interior LEDs. The suspension management is very very cool and I use it tons depending on the type of driving I am doing but with the 21s its not like there is a massive difference in ride (still feel the bumps); also raising and lowering of the Cayenne is something we have not needed yet but its nice to have.

Multi-Funtion wheel: We need heating in the winter so this was a no brainer. Besides I like the buttons.

Panameric Roof: Get it! Massive and opens like nothing I have ever seen, wow Porsche really just does it up.

Compass: I think it adds a wonderful touch to the SUV nature of the Cayenne and I have used it twice now trying to navigate. Everyone really likes it when they see it, a good touch if you have the extra money to throw at it.

Porsche Entry Drive: Finally super use to this and I love how it attempts to inform you there are 2 keys in the car and starts to learn who is actually driving. Mind you I love actually unlocking the car with the fob at night - the whole truck lights up and those LEDs come on and it looks so mean and welcoming at the same time.

Crest in Headrests: This was a splurge option and we got it on all four seats. I notice its there but then again not sure I would notice if it was not. Know what I mean? Maybe a better option in a 911 then in a Cayenne.

PDCC: Makes a very very noticeable difference. I actually think that this Cayenne is just as planted and stable in the corners as my last M5 (no flaming). Yes I would got that far, PDCC is unbelievable and worth every penny. Now if you or the wife are just going to chill and migrate in the city you are not going to feel it but if you are doing some spirited driving its there and it reminds you constantly. This option is a must for a driving enthusiast.

PTV: This is one of those options that has had a lot of “iffy” discussion behind it. So my thoughts are if you are getting PDCC then get PTV because it really helps whip you around tight corners or U turns and you literally feel something pulling/pushing the back end of the CS. Its very cool and not always noticeable but when it kicks in you know it.

21s Cayenne Sport: When we picked up the truck it was parked next to a white turbo with the TurboII wheels. Honestly I could not say one looked better than the other but I love the unique look of the CS sport rims as they are special for the Cayenne. I have the TurboII on the Targa so it would not have made sense to get them again. The CS21s will be harder to keep clean but worth it in my opinion. Also got a 5 year Tire/Rim warranty – just a matter of time before we ding them somewhere.

Sand White & Black Wheel Arches: The contrast is amazing and I will definitely keep this layout, really gives the car a nice sporty and classy nature. Sand white is stunning and really holds up to dust and dirt well.

Cargo Management: This is a much more involved option then I thought. First you get the sliding rack in the back to stop things from flying around (sport mode), then you get a net, and then you get these snap in devices that have straps to allow you to secure a load that may need that added positioning – its pretty good value for $850.00 (CA) when I originally thought it was a rip!

The Little Things: I love the upgraded PCM for 2012, lots of nice upgrades that I need to figure out. I like the LCD display in the dash that you can scroll through using the multi-func steering wheel (putting this in a “heads up display” on the windshield would RULE!) I like the added “programmable” button on the multifunction wheel. The console is awesome (jet fighter) with lots of buttons, maybe a few too many hehe. Love the dials in the console, like how they have kept it that way.

In Summary: This ride was not cheap and the price out the door was around the starting point for a Turbo; however I really think it is worth every dollar spent. It is a full package SUV and demand/sales are showing. The buying experience from the dealership was impeccable and everything is so well thought out I have a hard time imaging how anyone is going to outdo the Cayenne/Porsche experience, maybe a Euro delivery!?. Like any enthusiast/entrepreneur out there I am obviously excited for whats next! My Targa lease is up December 2012 so more to come I am sure!

Last edited by uhn2000; 07-30-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Jamaica19 is infamous around these parts
Great review

I pick up my 2012 hybrid s this afternoon and this is nice to read. Enjoy!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
kwihk is infamous around these partskwihk is infamous around these parts
Great review!
damn i should have opt for the panoramic roof option..
wonder why the sales man said its not a good idea to have it in dubai...
i should have gone for it!!!!
btw I'm getting my cs tomorrow yea!
Safe driving people~ ^_^d

Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kwihk
Great review!
Maybe worried about the sun and heat in the car - eventhough there is a shade that comes across to cover the entire thing.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Great review,thanx

Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 PM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Not to try and outdo any of the amazing reviews on this site (w00t) I will give my brief rendition of this amazing SUV/truck/SAV after one week of ownership. I will admit at first I was shaky and unsure if we made the perfect choices but after spending some good time with our CS I think we nailed it for us.

Cayenne S: I was leaning towards a Turbo in fear that the S would not be a enough power for our driving but that S/V8 is fantastic and I finally figured out how to get it revving and peppy when it needs to be. Maybe an exhaust/intakes in the future but that’s about it.

Full Leather: It really adds such a nice plush experience to the ride and the car. I thought people would not notice since it was black but we lovvvee full black leather, just so hot! Next time I might order it with contrast stitching to give it that extra pop (I thought it came with gut metal but was wrong?!)

Black Interior Trim: @BMW the piano black gloss trim is an exclusive/individual option. At Porsche it’s a basic one for the CS. I love it, by far my favourite composition of them all. If you are worried about whether it looks “rich” enough, don’t!

Bose Package: XM Radio is a must, the CD/DVD changer is great for my massive mp3 burned compilations - I love how it actually lists a view of all disks in the changer and their names so you know what one to select SWEEET! The BOSE in the Cayenne is unreal and definitely worth the upgrade. It kills the one in my Targa and really gets the music bouncing; probably the best sound system I have ever owned.

Comfort Package: Auto sun shades are too cool our future babies will love that. The seat ventilation in the Cayenne works so much better then the Targa and really cools you off. The Lane Change assist is great for the wife but I think its a bit conservative to my driving (in and out) style . The park camera is great but the Japan earthquake has delayed the camera till November. The comfort seats are just that, comfortable you could sit in them for days. The seats have more adjustable options then a normal human would need, I could not imagine the 18 way. The comfort lighting package is special and really adds that next level touch to the car – especially the interior LEDs. The suspension management is very very cool and I use it tons depending on the type of driving I am doing but with the 21s its not like there is a massive difference in ride (still feel the bumps); also raising and lowering of the Cayenne is something we have not needed yet but its nice to have.

Multi-Funtion wheel: We need heating in the winter so this was a no brainer. Besides I like the buttons.

Panameric Roof: Get it! Massive and opens like nothing I have ever seen, wow Porsche really just does it up.

Compass: I think it adds a wonderful touch to the SUV nature of the Cayenne and I have used it twice now trying to navigate. Everyone really likes it when they see it, a good touch if you have the extra money to throw at it.

Porsche Entry Drive: Finally super use to this and I love how it attempts to inform you there are 2 keys in the car and starts to learn who is actually driving. Mind you I love actually unlocking the car with the fob at night - the whole truck lights up and those LEDs come on and it looks so mean and welcoming at the same time.

Crest in Headrests: This was a splurge option and we got it on all four seats. I notice its there but then again not sure I would notice if it was not. Know what I mean? Maybe a better option in a 911 then in a Cayenne.

PDCC: Makes a very very noticeable difference. I actually think that this Cayenne is just as planted and stable in the corners as my last M5 (no flaming). Yes I would got that far, PDCC is unbelievable and worth every penny. Now if you or the wife are just going to chill and migrate in the city you are not going to feel it but if you are doing some spirited driving its there and it reminds you constantly. This option is a must for a driving enthusiast.

PTV: This is one of those options that has had a lot of “iffy” discussion behind it. So my thoughts are if you are getting PDCC then get PTV because it really helps whip you around tight corners or U turns and you literally feel something pulling/pushing the back end of the CS. Its very cool and not always noticeable but when it kicks in you know it.

21s Cayenne Sport: When we picked up the truck it was parked next to a white turbo with the TurboII wheels. Honestly I could not say one looked better than the other but I love the unique look of the CS sport rims as they are special for the Cayenne. I have the TurboII on the Targa so it would not have made sense to get them again. The CS21s will be harder to keep clean but worth it in my opinion. Also got a 5 year Tire/Rim warranty – just a matter of time before we ding them somewhere.

Sand White & Black Wheel Arches: The contrast is amazing and I will definitely keep this layout, really gives the car a nice sporty and classy nature. Sand white is stunning and really holds up to dust and dirt well.

Cargo Management: This is a much more involved option then I thought. First you get the sliding rack in the back to stop things from flying around (sport mode), then you get a net, and then you get these snap in devices that have straps to allow you to secure a load that may need that added positioning – its pretty good value for $850.00 (CA) when I originally thought it was a rip!

The Little Things: I love the upgraded PCM for 2012, lots of nice upgrades that I need to figure out. I like the LCD display in the dash that you can scroll through using the multi-func steering wheel (putting this in a “heads up display” on the windshield would RULE!) I like the added “programmable” button on the multifunction wheel. The console is awesome (jet fighter) with lots of buttons, maybe a few too many hehe. Love the dials in the console, like how they have kept it that way.

In Summary: This ride was not cheap and the price out the door was around the starting point for a Turbo; however I really think it is worth every dollar spent. It is a full package SUV and demand/sales are showing. The buying experience from the dealership was impeccable and everything is so well thought out I have a hard time imaging how anyone is going to outdo the Cayenne/Porsche experience, maybe a Euro delivery!?. Like any enthusiast/entrepreneur out there I am obviously excited for whats next! My Targa lease is up December 2012 so more to come I am sure!
Do you need to pay for XM subscription? my rep just told me XM is only 3 month free, this is contrary to my past experience with previous generation of cayenne, when you call xm with the code from your PCM do they tell you to pay after 3 month?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
XM is only for three months. After that...Its pay to play.

J

Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Ylincooper is infamous around these parts
moar pics!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kwihk
Great review!

Here is what you are missing

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 AM
kwihk is infamous around these partskwihk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pepper09tt

oh boy.. your killing me LOL!!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Way to rub it in ... hehe.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by mteddylee
Do you need to pay for XM subscription? my rep just told me XM is only 3 month free, this is contrary to my past experience with previous generation of cayenne, when you call xm with the code from your PCM do they tell you to pay after 3 month?
I activated it yesterday online and it did not work yet but no where on the site did it say anything about free. I might have to call them in a bit if its not working yet.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Some pics...

Enjoy!

Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pepper09tt

Pepper09tt-quick question, is the Panoramic roof glass tempered or laminated? I am ordering my next with laminated side glass and wonder if the panoramic in tempered will negate the effects of laminated side.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I activated it yesterday online and it did not work yet but no where on the site did it say anything about free. I might have to call them in a bit if its not working yet.
I finally called XM yesterday and set it up. They did confirm subscription is only 3 month free. hopefully they will just keep it on and we'll never have to pay for it =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S 2012 - One Week Review