Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Oil Level Checking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Oil Level Checking

Stopped off at my dealer today, to find that Porsche has revised pages 114, 242 and 244 of the owner's manual regarding checking the oil and coolant level. Your dealer should have the new pages to be inserted in the manual. Almost unbelievably, on the revised page 114 it now states that the difference between min and max on the electronic dipstick is 2.1 qts., instead of the 1.06 qt. that was originally stated!!! Wish I knew that to begin with. Other important differences are oil should be checked with motor running (or even driving), not with engine off. Also should always check oil level after driving 30 miles or at least 194 degrees F. Now I can add a qt. when it's down half way, certainly makes more sense as to why adding a qt at the minimum mark never brought it up to full. Live and learn.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
My SA told me the rule of thumb is first only add half a qt when the warning light comes on. he said on average when the light comes on most pepper will only need 8/10 of a qt and not a full qt. after half of qt is added take the car to the dealer for scan so they can tell you how much more to add. this way there is no overfilling risk.

mike

Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mteddylee
take the car to the dealer for scan so they can tell you how much more to add. this way there is no overfilling risk.

mike
Take it to the dealer just to check oil!!!!!!!!!! What is your dealer smoking? They can't really expect somebody to do this. I have 3 Porsches and live about 40 miles from the dealer. I have a life that isn't centered around having my oil checked at the dealer.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gammaman
Stopped off at my dealer today, to find that Porsche has revised pages 114, 242 and 244 of the owner's manual regarding checking the oil and coolant level. Your dealer should have the new pages to be inserted in the manual. Almost unbelievably, on the revised page 114 it now states that the difference between min and max on the electronic dipstick is 2.1 qts., instead of the 1.06 qt. that was originally stated!!! Wish I knew that to begin with. Other important differences are oil should be checked with motor running (or even driving), not with engine off. Also should always check oil level after driving 30 miles or at least 194 degrees F. Now I can add a qt. when it's down half way, certainly makes more sense as to why adding a qt at the minimum mark never brought it up to full. Live and learn.
Thanks. Valuable information. Sure beats making a weekly trip to the dealer to have my oil checked.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Take it to the dealer just to check oil!!!!!!!!!! What is your dealer smoking? They can't really expect somebody to do this. I have 3 Porsches and live about 40 miles from the dealer. I have a life that isn't centered around having my oil checked at the dealer.
lol forgot to mention dealer is only 8 miles from where I live and i drive pass it several times a week.

i bought 3 qts from the dealer but 750miles so far and oil still reads full =)