Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help me build the most awesome CTT ever for my wife!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM
finiteyoda is infamous around these parts
Talking Help me build the most awesome CTT ever for my wife!

After a few years of waiting on the fence, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a '12 CTT. Me and my wife had been looking at the older cayenne's, which just never did it for us, and after considering the usual suspects (Q7, GL550, then CL600) we fell in love at first sight with the new Pepper

Just put the deposit down, for a turbo with October build date, and now trying to make it as perfect for her as possible (for which these forums have been immensely helpful!) This is the current option list we're at now, additional notes below. Anything missing, or looks pretty complete?

PU4 - Premium Package Plus
2T - Jet Black Metallic
VB - Two-tone Natural Leather in Espresso/Cognac
8SI - LED Rear Lights Tinted Black with Adaptive Break Lights
1D6 - Trailer Coupling without Removable Ball Joint
3S1 - Roof Rails and Moldings with Matte Aluminum-Look Finish
3FU - Panorama Roof System
VW5 - Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass
2JX - Stainless Steel Skid Plate in Front and Rear
G1G - 8-speed Tiptronic S Inclusive Auto Start Stop Function
CZ4 - 21" 911 Turbo II Wheel with Wheel Arch Extension
Q1J - Adaptive Sports Seats with Comfort Memory Package
5ZF - Porsche Crest Embossed on Front and Rear Headrest
1XJ - Heated Three-spoke Multi-function Steering Wheel in Walnut
PH4 - Walnut Interior Package including Selector Lever
7M7 - Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated
QR1 - Compass Display on Instrument Panel
9VJ - Burmester High-End Surround Sound System

Exterior Color: My wife's in love with the JBM (plus we've never had a black car before), so this one was easy.

Interior Color: We were back and forth on U/C and E/C for quite a while. For a black car, these two seemed the most aesthetic two-tone choices (and we really wanted the deviant color stitching). The E/C seems to have won out tho, both for being easier to clean, and being the natural leather. Luckily, we're not really jeans people, but I'm guessing I'm still going to be cleaning it regularly to keep it pristine tho!

21" 911 Turbo II Wheel: My wife loves this wheel, and I agree it's probably the best looking cayenne wheel I've seen, short of the concave Gemballa Tornado wheels Question: Does this wheel come in either all silver, or silver/dk grey, I feel like I've seen both variants and want to make sure I get the right one. I've also seen a 22" version for sale elsewhere, though Porsche doesn't seem to offer it in the US.

Adaptive Sports Seats: Still hoping to see these in person, I've only seen the 14-way's. I'm a little worried about 3rd passenger seating in rear row, but hoping it'll be acceptable.

Porsche Crest Embossed on Front and Rear Headrest: Have seen these on lighter colored leather and think it's a nice touch, with the E/C hoping it'll lok great!

Walnut Interior: Toss up between walnut and carbon fiber, but my wife thought the carbon fiber looked too technical so walnut seemed the next best choice Looked at the yachting mahogany too, but she's not a big fan of the birch pin-striping.

Door Sill Guards, Illuminated: Always wanted these on a car, thought here's finally my chance! Saw these on a new CLS last week, looked very sharp. I can only imagine how they'd look at night.

Compass Display: I would've preferred a chrono timer personally, but this is some nice cosmetic sugar, so I figured why not...

Burmester: I'll admit, this was my one splurge I love high-end audio equipment, and I have no doubt that Burmester did a bang-up job with this car.

LED Rear Lights Tinted Black with Adaptive Break Lights: Haven't quite seen how this looks on a black car yet, but hoping for the best! Hopefully the factory tinted taillights don't have the DIY look to them, will have to see in person I guess...

Trailer Hitch: I'm still a little on the fence about this one. I live in CA, so space is at a premium, and I don't even have room for a trailer (only two garage spots). Nonetheless, I'd definitely like to start tracking in the future, and having a car that can tow would be invaluable I think. I guess I can always rent a trailer from U-Haul, and hopefully in another 5 years I'll move to a bigger place.

Roof Rails / Stainless Steel Skid Plates: I'm a big fan of the look of the aluminum bits on the black cayenne, so had to get all these Figured I might have use for the roof rails too. The rear skid plate's the only thing I'm a bit unsure about, comsetically it's different on the US model, I'll create a separate thread about that actually.

Window tint: Do all US cars come without any window tint? I thought there was any option to have the rear and back windows factory tinted, although my sales consultant indicated all the US cars come untinted.

Rear seat airbags: Don't have kids yet, but eventually, and wondering if I need to ask the dealer to disable the rear airbags... Is this something difficult/impossible to do after the fact? I would've thought there's a switch in the car to disable them, as opposed to needing to remove them entirely.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Awesome spec.

I would only suggest one or two splurge options. I got, on my second CTT, the PCCBs. Love the stopping on these. Wouldn't have thought that it made a difference, but in 1 week of ownership, have had two quick stops and it is MUCH MORE powerful in the stopping department.

The second, exterior high gloss black. I really like the way this looks, and pepper09tt has great pics of his car with it. I just love the sportiness and clean lines of the exterior black trim.

I am a big fan of the olive trim. Such a nice look with the Espresso transitioning to the cognac. I have some pics I will be posting soon. ronl has some he has put up. Absolutely amazing wood color.

Burmester is worth every penny. Didn't have on the '11, and hadn't heard it till I got the '12. Boy am I glad I didn't. Would have hated my Bose, and the Bose is great in its own regard.

I would skip the 18 way seats. There are many posters on here, who despite the comfort, are complaining about excessive wear/tear on the side bolsters. I had the 20 way comfort/adaptive seats in my M5 and X5M, and coming to the 14's I am not disappointed one bit.

Roof rails are subjective. Skid plates are nice on the black (added them on my '11, skipped on the '12).

21' Turbo II's are silver with dark inside coloration.

No 22's direct from Porsche.

Great build... You will love the car.

J

Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Oh, and maybe add Voice Control and telephone module. Telephone module, depending on your mobile you carry, can be activated through the remote bluetooth SIM protocol and used without a SIM in it. Not a NEED option, but fun if you don't mind spending the money.

J

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
New Aerokit
Black interior
CF interior
PCCB

Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
The adaptives will get in the way of having 3 passengers in the rear. Highly recommend you sit in both before deciding. Some people have strong opinions on these - both ways

The sport package, or Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) & Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) separately if you are firm on the multi-function steering wheel. These really change the dynamics of the car. We have the multi-function on one of the Cayennes and the sport on the other. Should have ordered sport on both.

Also highly recommend you read W00t's wonderful thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ts-avatar.html

Last edited by imcarnuts; 08-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree with imcarnuts. Much prefer the sport steering wheel. The sport wheel with the toggle controller on the wheel, and especially with voice control, gives you everything you need.

J

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
For the looks that is subjective to you guys but I think it will look great especially like the skid plates on black. The lack of PDCC and PTV will be a huge regret. The whole reason for paying an extra 30 to 40k above a fully loaded Range rover supercharged is for the handling dynamics to go with the power of the CTT. So please do not skip it. And I did not see the convenience pkg (keyless entry and go, LCA, adaptive cruise, forgot the other stuff). There are a lot who say that these are worthless but I think they are great and use them daily. I have the 18 way seats and have 2 car seats in the back. Sometimes my wife will sit in the back between the 2 kids and their car seats and she says it is comfortable. Also we have over 10k in miles on the car with no scuff marks or wear on the seats high bolsters.
Enjoy the car, you better warn her that you will be borrowing it from her at every opportunity

Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Regarding the PCCB's, I'm unsure about them. The unsprung weight reduction and lack of brake dust is nice, but not worth $8k imo. I've not seen any hard numbers indicating they reduce stopping distance (esp. on a 958). The reds seem a more proven technology, and much easier to maintain over the long run ($5K for a single PCCB rotor??). The horror stories on this forum about people having prematurely cracked PCCB discs aren't helping either... Bottom line, we're not likely to ever track this car, and the PCCB's seemed like too much a splurge for how we're gonna use this car (plus my wife actually prefers the red calipers over yellow, so go figure!)

Regarding 14-way vs. 18-way, I'm still hoping to see a car with 18-way. In all the photos I've seen with 18-way, the 2nd-row seating doesn't look bad to me at all. We only occasionally would have a full 5 people, not always. My CLS55 I sold had the adaptive seats with large side bolsters, and I actually really liked them. Getting into the 14-way, I felt like it was comfortable, but not as snug as the CLS55. I'm hoping the 18-way will be a vast improvement over the CLS even, in which case, I can live with our 5th passenger suffering a little

Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
The second, exterior high gloss black. I really like the way this looks, and pepper09tt has great pics of his car with it. I just love the sportiness and clean lines of the exterior black trim.
Probably a subjective thing, but we both really like the chrome trim on the exterior. Seen several with it blacked out, and weren't a big fan, I just think the chrome trim works really well on the JBM and gives it a classy touch. Agreed tho, not as stealth or sporty.

I am a big fan of the olive trim. Such a nice look with the Espresso transitioning to the cognac. I have some pics I will be posting soon. ronl has some he has put up. Absolutely amazing wood color.
Will look for your pics... curious to see how it'd look with E/C.

Oh, and maybe add Voice Control and telephone module. Telephone module, depending on your mobile you carry, can be activated through the remote bluetooth SIM protocol and used without a SIM in it. Not a NEED option, but fun if you don't mind spending the money.
Our family only uses iPhone's, which don't support the remote bluetooth SIM. Maybe a future iOS version will, but I'm doubtful of it. I may not mind, but my wife will probably mind spending the money, if I explain to her the feature's basically useless with her iPhone 4

Originally Posted by luiscarlos
New Aerokit
Black interior
CF interior
PCCB
My wife's definitely not a fan of the black interior or CF, PCCB I mentioned above. The aerokit's an interesting one, but in the end I decided the plasticky bits aren't as obvious with JBM, and if I get bored in a year or two with the looks, we're gonna start putting a body kit on the car, so I'd rather just save the couple thousand up for that.

Originally Posted by imcarnuts
The sport package, or Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) & Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) separately if you are firm on the multi-function steering wheel. These really change the dynamics of the car. We have the multi-function on one of the Cayennes and the sport on the other. Should have ordered sport on both.
Yeah, I'm really surprised more people didn't chime in on this I had it included originally, then eventually removed it because I just can't imagine my wife driving the car in a way to really exercise and enjoy these options. If they'd offered it as a package without sports wheel, I would've maybe gone for it. Instead, I'm gonna put the extra $5k into my fund for a true track vehicle (no knock on the pepper, these cars are AMAZING for an SUV).

Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Also highly recommend you read W00t's wonderful thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ts-avatar.html
Yes, I love w00t's threads, it's what ended up convincing me to switch from U/C to E/C.

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
For the looks that is subjective to you guys but I think it will look great especially like the skid plates on black. The lack of PDCC and PTV will be a huge regret. The whole reason for paying an extra 30 to 40k above a fully loaded Range rover supercharged is for the handling dynamics to go with the power of the CTT. So please do not skip it. And I did not see the convenience pkg (keyless entry and go, LCA, adaptive cruise, forgot the other stuff). There are a lot who say that these are worthless but I think they are great and use them daily. I have the 18 way seats and have 2 car seats in the back. Sometimes my wife will sit in the back between the 2 kids and their car seats and she says it is comfortable. Also we have over 10k in miles on the car with no scuff marks or wear on the seats high bolsters.
Enjoy the car, you better warn her that you will be borrowing it from her at every opportunity
You guys are really making me reconsider the PDCC/PTV... Just still not sure, haha, you guys are making me paranoid now!! Car has the Premium Plus Pkg, so all the convenience features are there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I really have some thinking to do about the PTV/PDCC and 18-way seats...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't think I caught that you didn't have PDCC/PTV. You will really regret not having it. I feel as it is better on my '12 than my '11. Just seems to, subjectively of course, have even less body motion than my other one had.

I love the sport steering wheel. I just think it looks better. Again, a subjective thing.

Below are some pics pre-delivery. I will try taking better pics tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the pics Jason, would love to see if anyone has some of E/C with walnut! I've seen w00t's E/C with piano black, which is the closest I've seen...

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Ok, after some serious deep thought, I finally decided adding the PDCC and PTV+ was worth it. My hope is the PDCC will be more noticeable day-to-day, and improve passenger comfort (this was how I sold it to my wife at least ) and stability. The PTV+, I doubt she'll get much use out of, but it'll be fun for me at least!

Here's my final pro forma, anything else I should consider changing??

2T Jet Black Metallic
VB 2-toneNaturLthrEspresso/Cognac
8SI LEDRerLght-Blckw/AdptBreakLght
9VJ Burmester(R)HighEndSurrSoundSy
1D6 TrailerCouplw/o RemovBallJoint
QR1 Compass Display on Instr Panel
7M7 Door sill guards in stainless
1XJ WalnutTr3-spkMult-funSW w/Heat
5ZF PorscheCrestEmbFront/RearHdrst
VW5 Thrm&NoiseInsulatGls w/PrivGls
3S1 RoofRails w/Moldings-Aluminum
3FU Panorama Roof System
CZ4 21" 911 Turbo II Whl w/Arch Ex
2JX StainlessSteelFront/RearSkdPlt
0AW PDCC
1Y1 PTV Plus
PH4 Walnut Interior Package includ
5MG Walnut Interior Package
6Q8 Gear selector dark wood (walnu
PU4 Premium Package Plus
3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind
4D3 Seat Ventilation Front
4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center
7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control
9AH 4-zone Climate Control
9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting

Also, does anybody know if the windows come tinted or not from the factory?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
tex94 is infamous around these parts
That is a fantastic build! If you need someone to drive it for you let me know.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by finiteyoda
Ok, after some serious deep thought, I finally decided adding the PDCC and PTV+ was worth it. My hope is the PDCC will be more noticeable day-to-day, and improve passenger comfort (this was how I sold it to my wife at least ) and stability. The PTV+, I doubt she'll get much use out of, but it'll be fun for me at least!

Here's my final pro forma, anything else I should consider changing??

2T Jet Black Metallic
VB 2-toneNaturLthrEspresso/Cognac
8SI LEDRerLght-Blckw/AdptBreakLght
9VJ Burmester(R)HighEndSurrSoundSy
1D6 TrailerCouplw/o RemovBallJoint
QR1 Compass Display on Instr Panel
7M7 Door sill guards in stainless
1XJ WalnutTr3-spkMult-funSW w/Heat
5ZF PorscheCrestEmbFront/RearHdrst
3S1 RoofRails w/Moldings-Aluminum
3FU Panorama Roof System
CZ4 21" 911 Turbo II Whl w/Arch Ex
2JX StainlessSteelFront/RearSkdPlt
0AW PDCC
1Y1 PTV Plus
PH4 Walnut Interior Package includ
5MG Walnut Interior Package
6Q8 Gear selector dark wood (walnu
PU4 Premium Package Plus
3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind
4D3 Seat Ventilation Front
4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center
7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control
9AH 4-zone Climate Control
9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting

Also, does anybody know if the windows come tinted or not from the factory?
My sales guy mentioned to me that they were tinted from the factory, but not the dark tint. There is a privacy glass option which I'm assuming means a dark tint on the back seat windows.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 AM
What do you guys think of phone module and voice control? Is the voice control anywhere as near as good as the MB CL? (not the older one where you had to spell letter-by-letter, but the newer one with whole word recognition) Seems like it might be kinda useful.

My iphone doesn't support the phone module, but I'm wondering if they'll add support for it in a future iOS version... I'd love to have the phone use the roof antenna.

Also, is the privacy glass tint (on rear windows) that people are talking about this:
I didn't realize the thermal/noise glass also means your rear windows are tinted darker than normal. Just want to make sure I'm not missing an extra option to have them factory tinted.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by finiteyoda
What do you guys think of phone module and voice control? Is the voice control anywhere as near as good as the MB CL? (not the older one where you had to spell letter-by-letter, but the newer one with whole word recognition) Seems like it might be kinda useful.

My iphone doesn't support the phone module, but I'm wondering if they'll add support for it in a future iOS version... I'd love to have the phone use the roof antenna.

Also, is the privacy glass tint (on rear windows) that people are talking about this:
I didn't realize the thermal/noise glass also means your rear windows are tinted darker than normal. Just want to make sure I'm not missing an extra option to have them factory tinted.
Yes there is the extra option for the privacy glass which is for tinting and a better noise reduction. Here is the description online:

Thermally and noise insulated laminated glass with increased all-round reflection, heavily tinted for the rear side and rear window

If you like the darker tint, I'd get it if I were you. I chose this option and with a darker color car, I think it would look good.

Your CTT config is pretty close to mine. I have everything except for the roof rails, compass, and the sound system. Looks like your interior is a different color as well. I added the running boards to give it some extra silver "pop" on the side. I maybe should have added the roof rails, but we'll see. I've seen videos where a Cayenne Turbo doesn't have the roof rails but everything else and it looked hot. I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks when I get my car.

Last edited by No.92; 08-12-2011 at 11:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me build the most awesome CTT ever for my wife!