Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sport Package question..... PDCC & PTV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Sport Package question..... PDCC & PTV

I am opting out on the Sport Package simply because of the steering wheel... as stupid as it sounds, this will be my daily driver and I want some damn buttons on the steering wheel!

That being said, are PDCC & PTV worth it as stand alone options? Sports package is $3500 but PDCC alone is $3500.... PTV is another $1500.

I will not be tracking the car at all.... Just driving around town and an occasional road trip.

Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
I also like the muti-function wheel so opt out on the sports package. I have the sport steering wheel on my 911 and don't like it much.

Ended up paying more for PDCC & PTV without using the package (I think it was $1500 more). I'm sure glad I did, now I enjoy the wheel, PDCC & PTV!!

Last edited by kw911TT; 12-25-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Honestly, I was a bit bummed at first that when I selected the Sport Package and didn't get the multi-function wheel, but now that I have the car, I'm more than happy that I got the sport wheel. I couldn't take it if I had to shift manually with the weird multi-function shifters. Plus, I don't think I'm missing anything with the sport wheel as I have voice control which allows me to change tracks and stuff. I guess volume controls could have been helpful in the wheel, but how often are you changing that once you've found the right volume level? I guess it's a preference thing, but I would definitely recommend the PDCC & PTV if the cost isn't a consideration.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 AM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by No.92
Honestly, I was a bit bummed at first that when I selected the Sport Package and didn't get the multi-function wheel, but now that I have the car, I'm more than happy that I got the sport wheel. I couldn't take it if I had to shift manually with the weird multi-function shifters. Plus, I don't think I'm missing anything with the sport wheel as I have voice control which allows me to change tracks and stuff. I guess volume controls could have been helpful in the wheel, but how often are you changing that once you've found the right volume level? I guess it's a preference thing, but I would definitely recommend the PDCC & PTV if the cost isn't a consideration.
For some reason, the plastic film cover over the sport mode light (well it is not really a light) keep getting water condensation. Looks kinda yucky....

Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by kw911TT
For some reason, the plastic film cover over the sport mode light (well it is not really a light) keep getting water condensation. Looks kinda yucky....
You mean over the Sport Mode button? If so, that's weird, I don't usually get condensation there. But living in Northern California it's not really humid so I'm not sure. Do you have drinks in the cupholder all the time? Maybe some moisture is getting on it from there?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM
BlueLodge400 is infamous around these parts
I have PTV but not PDCC. PTV is well worth it if you drive aggressive. But if you are not going to drive it hard, then don’t waste the $.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
We have 2 2011 Cayenne Turbos. The first one was ordered with the sport package (wife's) and the second one (mine) was ordered with PTV & PDCC in order to get the multi-function wheel. If I had a do-over on the second I would have ordered the sport package. I really like the feel of the sport steering wheel better and it is just as easy to use the stalk to control the functions of the car as the buttons on the steering wheel. The volume for the radio is all of 6" from your right hand as opposed to being on the wheel - big deal. Save the money and get the better wheel IMHO. I would not even think of not getting PTV & PDDC and I don't track my cars either.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Hey Duffy,

I'm in the process of ordering one right now too for 12/11 delivery, running into the same dilemma. My concern isn't the stereo controls but more so the telephone controls. Is it hard to actuate/disconnect calls w/o the multifunction wheel via an external Motorola phone? I can't believe Porsche pulls this crap, must of had a lot of Sport Wheels to get rid of... I agree with you, PDCC and PTV are a must.

Thanks,
Ted.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ted
Hey Duffy,

Is it hard to actuate/disconnect calls w/o the multifunction wheel via an external Motorola phone?

Thanks,
Ted.
Ted - I just use the pcm to make the call through the phonebook or dialing the number no matter which Cayenne I am driving. Once the call is connected the dash display automatically goes to "end call." Either push the button (multi-function) on the wheel or flick the stalk (sport) forward to disconnect the call. Don't even have to take your hand off the wheel - just use back of fingers to flick the stalk. I don't think the brand of phone matters as long as the bluetooth is connected.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
sitecap is infamous around these parts
My order has a build date of 9/29. Ordered PTV and PDCC without the sport package to get the multifunction wheel.

Test drove a car with both PDCC and PTV and it felt great (but I couldn't compare it to a car without).

This video shows PDCC in action:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3279948

Plus - it is possible to retrofit paddle shifters to a multifunction wheel:

See http://www.tech9.ms/performance/caye...e-shifters.htm

I'll keep that option open after trying the thumb shifters for a while.

It does suck that Porsche prices the option package that way - in order to get my desired configuration I had to pay $1500 more.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Thanks Duffy.

Yep, I guarantee you they're trying to get rid of those extra Sport steering wheels they have in stock Really if it's that easy w/o the multi function I may just keep it and save the $1500.00.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
2012cayenne is infamous around these parts
Now you guys have got me a little concerned. I have a 2012 Cayenne S on order without PDCC or PTV. Also, I'm guess the Sport option is only on the Turbo? I did get the Premium Package Plus. To add PDCC and PTV it's another $5K. Wish I could drive a Cayenne with AND without it side by side. Anyone get a chance to do that? I'll probably keep the car for 3 years and put on about 15-17K miles a year. I love to drive and love the sports feel but my car is already coming in at $87K.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM
SPLU is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2012cayenne
Now you guys have got me a little concerned. I have a 2012 Cayenne S on order without PDCC or PTV. Also, I'm guess the Sport option is only on the Turbo? I did get the Premium Package Plus. To add PDCC and PTV it's another $5K. Wish I could drive a Cayenne with AND without it side by side. Anyone get a chance to do that? I'll probably keep the car for 3 years and put on about 15-17K miles a year. I love to drive and love the sports feel but my car is already coming in at $87K.

I drove both back to back, but the non PDCC/PTV Cayenne was a CS, and the one with PDCC/PTV was a CTT. So I tried to gauge only the handling on turns, off-ramps and lane changes, without gunning the throttle on the CTT, so as to try and make the comparison as apples-to-apples as possible. I found that in terms of body roll, I couldn't really perceive much of a difference (this was city/highway driving with off-ramps). However, in terms of cornering feel, I felt a significantly perceivable difference, with the PDCC/PTV equipped CTT having much more of that "cornering on rails" type of feeling. I'm not sure, but I think most of that feeling comes from the PTV and not the PDCC. So I am currently at the point where I can justify the PTV, but not necessarily the PDCC, on the CS I am about to order. Not that PDCC is bad, but for $3500, I could maybe do without it since the body-roll seemed equivacal to me. However, I LOVE that "cornering on rails" feeling and think that $1500 for PTV is well worth it (caveat: I am assuming the most of that cornering benefit was from the PTV and not the PDCC).

Would love to hear other opinions from people who have driven Cayennes back-to-back with/without PTV and/or PDCC.

Lastly, I am in process of ordering a CS with 19 turbo rims and all season tires. The dealer told me that unless you have summer tires and >20 inch rims, you won't be able to take advantage of PTV/PDCC. Any thoughts on that?

Thx!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by SPLU
I drove both back to back, but the non PDCC/PTV Cayenne was a CS, and the one with PDCC/PTV was a CTT. So I tried to gauge only the handling on turns, off-ramps and lane changes, without gunning the throttle on the CTT, so as to try and make the comparison as apples-to-apples as possible. I found that in terms of body roll, I couldn't really perceive much of a difference (this was city/highway driving with off-ramps). However, in terms of cornering feel, I felt a significantly perceivable difference, with the PDCC/PTV equipped CTT having much more of that "cornering on rails" type of feeling. I'm not sure, but I think most of that feeling comes from the PTV and not the PDCC. So I am currently at the point where I can justify the PTV, but not necessarily the PDCC, on the CS I am about to order. Not that PDCC is bad, but for $3500, I could maybe do without it since the body-roll seemed equivacal to me. However, I LOVE that "cornering on rails" feeling and think that $1500 for PTV is well worth it (caveat: I am assuming the most of that cornering benefit was from the PTV and not the PDCC).

Would love to hear other opinions from people who have driven Cayennes back-to-back with/without PTV and/or PDCC.

Lastly, I am in process of ordering a CS with 19 turbo rims and all season tires. The dealer told me that unless you have summer tires and >20 inch rims, you won't be able to take advantage of PTV/PDCC. Any thoughts on that?

Thx!
Well, I do have to question is how can you tell it's the PTV and not the PDCC that was the reduction in roll? Perhaps it's the PDCC all along? I have torque vectoring in my Audi TT which comes standard with Quattro and when I go around corners, I most definitely feel a roll especially now that the springs are older. It still drives like it's on rails, but the roll is definitely apparent.

As far as what the dealer says about the PVT/PDCC and 20+" wheels, I call BS. Why should it matter how big the wheels are? Yeah, summer tires on any car will help in the summer so I think that's a non-issue.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I don't mean to. For a vehicle this large and heavy, I would want any anti-roll or stability program associated with it for full control. You may be able to get away with stuff with a sports car like a 911, but with higher vehicles, you risk the chance of flipping over.

Last edited by No.92; 09-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:02 AM
SPLU is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by No.92
Well, I do have to question is how can you tell it's the PTV and not the PDCC that was the reduction in roll? Perhaps it's the PDCC all along? I have torque vectoring in my Audi TT which comes standard with Quattro and when I go around corners, I most definitely feel a roll especially now that the springs are older. It still drives like it's on rails, but the roll is definitely apparent.

As far as what the dealer says about the PVT/PDCC and 20+" wheels, I call BS. Why should it matter how big the wheels are? Yeah, summer tires on any car will help in the summer so I think that's a non-issue.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I don't mean to. For a vehicle this large and heavy, I would want any anti-roll or stability program associated with it for full control. You may be able to get away with stuff with a sports car like a 911, but with higher vehicles, you risk the chance of flipping over.
Just to be clear, I am advocating PTV, and not PDCC, and I'm advocating the cornering benefit, and not the anti-roll benefit. When I drove the vehicles back to back I did not appreciate much of an anti-roll benefit, hence I am not convinced of paying $3500 for PDCC. However, when cornering I did truly appreciate the cornering advantage of the PTV. The reason I attribute this to the PTV and not to the PDCC is because what I felt was a "cornering on rails feeling" with a bit of "oversteer" and the feeling of being "pulled through the turn." What I felt was not necessarily less leaning. Hence I'm not sure how much PDCC was a contributor. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got. So, for $1500, I think PTV is a no-brainer for cornering feel, and not for anti-roll. For me, the jury is still out on PDCC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Package question..... PDCC & PTV