Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New here...(critique my build, pls)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
FLYNLZRD is infamous around these parts
New here...(critique my build, pls)

Hi all, good to be here. I've been following this forum and the new Cayenne closely for a while. I have been waiting for the Q7 to run it's lease out, while contemplating on the configuration for the CS for Nov '12 delivery. Since it takes that long to get one, I figured I'd better start planning. So bellow is the semi-final (will there ever be a final?) copy of the build inspired in part by different vehicles you guys/gals show here. Special thanks to Woot.
A few things to consider:
1. Drivers: 80% Wife (80% by herself, so color combo joice was almost mutual)
2. Tracking: never (Boxster does a fine job)
3. 3 kids (15,10,5)
4. Main goal: luxury family SUV while avoiding unnecessary options.

Here it is:
http://cc.porsche.com/pva_new/client/print-files/gRwmMA8cuhuDkREocsyb6QpmCJlFcl.pdf?dialogId=print_ individual&RT=1318995416995

Thank you!
Stan

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-18-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: active link to another forum
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I just lost a link, apparently...

...because it was "to another forum". How do I file for an unfair trial around here?

Stan

Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
just cut and paste your order, or take a screenshot if its from the porsche builder.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry, here is the list.

Exterior Colour White
Interior Colour Two-Tone Natural Leather Interior in Espresso / Cognac
Seat Belts in Cognac
Comfort Plus Package: Nav, Camera, Lane Change, Seat Vent, Pwr Shades, Rear Heat Seats, Air+PASM, Light Comf pkg, PDLS, Moonroof , 14-Way Power Seats with Memory, Servotronic, Auto dim mirrors
Bose Audio Package: CD Changer, Bose, Sat
Rear Seat Entertainment
Entry & Drive
Wheel Arch extensions in exteriorcolour
Wing Mirror in Exterior Color
Exterior Package in Black (High Gloss)
Deletion of Model Designation
Trailer Hitch without Hitch Ball

And thanks in advance for your inputs

Last edited by FLYNLZRD; 10-20-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
What size wheels are you going with?

I like your build, the all white(especially the new Carrera white) with the high gloss black will look good.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FLYNLZRD
Sorry, here is the list.

Exterior Colour White
Interior Colour Two-Tone Natural Leather Interior in Espresso / Cognac
Seat Belts in Cognac
Comfort Plus Package: Nav, Camera, Lane Change, Seat Vent, Pwr Shades, Rear Heat Seats, Air+PASM, Light Comf pkg, PDLS, Moonroof , 14-Way Power Seats with Memory, Servotronic, Auto dim mirrors
Bose Audio Package: CD Changer, Bose, Sat
Rear Seat Entertainment
Entry & Drive
Wheel Arch extensions in exteriorcolour
Wing Mirror in Exterior Color
Exterior Package in Black (High Gloss)
Deletion of Model Designation
Trailer Hitch without Hitch Ball

And thanks in advance for your inputs
Love the color combo (esp. your interior).

My three comments:
- I'm not a fan of the Porsche rear seat entertainment system (I don't think it's particularly good and think that with the rate technology is changing/progressing there are far better, cheaper, portable solutions).
- I don't like Porsche's keyless system (I don't mind keyless entry but think Porsche's system is lacking)
- If you're running the non plus sized tires the wheel extensions might be overkill.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your responces, Vince
Every SUV she drives needs wheels refinished yearly. The plan is to go with base 18" to be used in the winter and get some el-cheapo 20" rims for the summer.
I dont want to get options I dont really need, so I am having doubts about Entry and Drive as well as the Comfort Plus Package. Of all its options, I really need the Nav, Camera, Rear Heat Seats, Light Comf pkg, Moonroof , Servotronic and Auto dim mirrors.
Dont really need the Lane Change, Seat Vent, Pwr Shades,Air+PASM,PDLS and the 14-Way Seats. I can save $6.5K by dumping these and the truck will still look the same and will probably have the same resale value down the road. On the other hand, I really want the Air+PASM and if I get these, I might as well get the full pkg. I dont know what to do.
How about the seats? Are the base Comfort Seats really comfortable enough?
And one more thing, I am planning on painting the bumpers bottoms and the skirts white later (the white mirrors and the wheel arches I am ordering already), so should I get the dark rear lights to go with the look? Or is that another option I dont really need?
Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

My three comments:
- I'm not a fan of the Porsche rear seat entertainment system (I don't think it's particularly good and think that with the rate technology is changing/progressing there are far better, cheaper, portable solutions).
- I don't like Porsche's keyless system (I don't mind keyless entry but think Porsche's system is lacking)
- If you're running the non plus sized tires the wheel extensions might be overkill.
This is what's great about forums, I personally am not a fan or that color interior, but people do like it or they wouldn't make it.

As for the rear entertainment. Do you really want it or it something you think you want? I can't stand them, nothing more annoying to me than when I get in friend's cars with their kids and we can't drive 2 miles without them crying for Spongebob or whatever else it is they must have to be entertained for 2 minutes.

I have kids and my Denali came with a rear entertainment system, and after 4 years it still has the plastic on it.

I do agree with Da Happa, if you must you can pick up an iPad or 2 for cheaper than that bulky system and have something more than just a dvd player. The kids can at least play games and have other forms or entertainment on it(reading/crosswords/puzzles/drawing) besides a tv show.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

My three comments:
Thanks Chris
My concern is that because of the cognac seats, getting aftermarket TVs put in later might create a color issue, no?
Can you elaborate on the Entry "lacking", pls.
And I am planning on bigger wheels for the summer.

Stan

Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your responces, Vince
Every SUV she drives needs wheels refinished yearly. The plan is to go with base 18" to be used in the winter and get some el-cheapo 20" rims for the summer.
I dont want to get options I dont really need, so I am having doubts about Entry and Drive as well as the Comfort Plus Package. Of all its options, I really need the Nav, Camera, Rear Heat Seats, Light Comf pkg, Moonroof , Servotronic and Auto dim mirrors.
Dont really need the Lane Change, Seat Vent, Pwr Shades,Air+PASM,PDLS and the 14-Way Seats. I can save $6.5K by dumping these and the truck will still look the same and will probably have the same resale value down the road. On the other hand, I really want the Air+PASM and if I get these, I might as well get the full pkg. I dont know what to do.
How about the seats? Are the base Comfort Seats really comfortable enough?
And one more thing, I am planning on painting the bumpers bottoms and the skirts white later (the white mirrors and the wheel arches I am ordering already), so should I get the dark rear lights to go with the look? Or is that another option I dont really need?
Thanks again.

I would just stick with the premium plus as it has everything you want and to get some of those things a la carte can add up.

I have never been in the 8 way seats, but the 14 way seats are stupid comfy and feel right in that car. Everyone who has sat in mine has made the same comment, "It feels like a jet fighter". What more can you say.

LOL, we really don'y need any off the cosmetic options, but honestly I like the rear dark lenses and with the all white/gloss black, I think it would look good.

That's a choice you have to make.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Chris
My concern is that because of the cognac seats, getting aftermarket TVs put in later might create a color issue, no?
Can you elaborate on the Entry "lacking", pls.
And I am planning on bigger wheels for the summer.

Stan
Hi Stan -

I really think you're alot better doing the portable DVD/Blu Ray or Ipad route rather than the rear seat entertainment system for a number of reasons including cost, potential repairs, and technology obsolescence. Let's be honest, at the rate technology changes the RSES in the Cayenne is already probably a generation behind.

Porsche's version of keyless drive makes you insert a dummy key in the ignition switch. IMO, that's overly complicated and dumb. The keyless system in our Audi, by contrast, allows you to open all the doors (and the rear liftgate) and start and top the car by pushing a button on the center console while the "key" remains somewhere on your person. If you're going to do keyless, do keyless. Don't make it a multiple step process with the potential to misplace an additional key.

IMO, the 14 way seats are amazing and worth the money. I'm not sure if the 18 ways are worth the additional $ given the fact that this is an SUV and I'm not going to drive it like I drive my Carrera S (which had the non-power, ultra aggressive sport seats that I loved).

I would also think long and hard about keeping the premium + package. Personally, I'll never use the ventilated seats or rear seat heaters but when I added up the options side by side, the premium package + was still cheaper and I got things that I actually want (like the air suspension).

Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
I will agree that the entry/drive on the Porsche isn't as nice as other implementations (had it on my previous Lexus and BMW), but it still functions the same. The dummy keyfob stays in the car/ignition- I'm sure there is a way to remove it, but on my '11 Cayenne, it's not easily removable and stays put 100% of the time. Everything else is functions as expected. No regrets ordering it, great option IMO.

As other mentioned, 14 way seats are great. I would also pass on the rear seat entertainment and opt for iPads, and would also pass on the extended wheel arches unless you're planning on going with 21+ wheels in the summer, which doesn't seem like a good idea given the wife/annual wheel refinishing

Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by slw23
I will agree that the entry/drive on the Porsche isn't as nice as other implementations (had it on my previous Lexus and BMW), but it still functions the same. The dummy keyfob stays in the car/ignition- I'm sure there is a way to remove it, but on my '11 Cayenne, it's not easily removable and stays put 100% of the time. Everything else is functions as expected. No regrets ordering it, great option IMO.
The "dummy" key fob is removable, at least as the entry/drive is implemented on the 997.2. You hold the key in the "off" position for several (10?) seconds. Seems to me to be a problem waiting to happen. Again, just my personal preference/opinion.