Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Consumer Reports says the Cayenne is bringing Porsche reliability down...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Consumer Reports says the Cayenne is bringing Porsche reliability down...

Anyone see that article.

Here is what they say about our cars:

Anyone have problems in these areas:

Name:  consumerreports.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  51.1 KB

Engine, minor: Oil leaks, accessory belts and pulleys, engine mounts, engine knock or ping.

Engine, cooling: Radiator, cooling fan, antifreeze leaks, water pump, thermostat, overheating.

Transmission, major: Transmission rebuild or replacement, torque converter, premature clutch replacement.

Transmission, minor: Gear selector or linkage, coolers and lines, rough shifting, slipping transmission, leaks, transmission computer, transmission sensor or solenoid, clutch adjustment, hydraulics (clutch master or slave cylinder).

Drive system: Driveshaft or axle, CV joint, wheel bearing(s), differential, transfer case, 4WD/AWD components, driveline vibration, traction control, electronic stability control (ESC), electrical failure.

Fuel system: Check engine light, sensors (includes O2 or oxygen sensor), emission control devices (includes EGR), engine computer, fuel cap, fuel gauge/sender, fuel injection system, fuel pump, fuel leaks, stalling or hesitation.

Electrical: Alternator, starter, hybrid battery and related systems, regular battery, battery cables, engine harness, coil, ignition switch, electronic ignition, distributor or rotor failure, spark plugs and wires failure.

Climate system: Blower (fan) motor, A/C compressor, condenser, evaporator, heater system, automatic climate control, refrigerant leakage, electrical failure.

Suspension: Shocks or struts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, alignment, steering linkage (includes rack and pinion) power steering (pumps and hoses, leaks), wheel balance, springs or torsion bars, bushings, electronic or air suspension.

Brakes: Premature wear, pulsation or vibration, squeaking, master cylinder, calipers, antilock system (ABS), parking brake, brake failure.

Exhaust: Muffler, pipes, catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, leaks.

Paint/trim: Paint (fading, chalking, cracking, or peeling), loose exterior trim or moldings, rust.

Body integrity: Squeaks or rattles, seals and/or weather-stripping, air or water leaks, loose interior trim and moldings, wind noise.

Body hardware: Windows, locks and latches, tailgate, hatch or trunk, doors or sliding doors, mirrors, seat controls, safety belts, sunroof, convertible top, glass defects.

Power equipment and accessories: Cruise control, clock, warning lights, body control module, keyless entry, wiper motor or washer, tire pressure monitor, interior or exterior lights, horn, gauges, 12V power plug, remote engine start, alarm or security system

Audio system: Audio systems, entertainment systems, navigation systems, backup camera/sensors, communication system.

Last edited by frank69m; 11-20-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
do you have the legend for what the dots mean?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:23 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Solid black = very bad and lots of problems

Name:  legend.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  4.7 KB

Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Only problem on my '11 CTT w/ 14,000 mi has been the oil level sensor, which had to be replaced.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Not reliable?
3000 miles of wot Autobahn driving(and 1000 on twisty French country roads) beg to differ
Only added 2 quarts of oil,and only problem I had was a flat tire
Oh yeah,there was one serious problem :the dvd player refused to play the dvd-audio of "LA Woman"

Last edited by pepper09tt; 11-20-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
DanK is infamous around these parts
only problem I've had is the radio cuts out for a second at stop lights. of course the dealer was not able to duplicate this

Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I've had a few quirks that we're fixed and non issues to date.
I would rate my CTT a 94% our of 100% for what the cayennes purpose is to me.
Great ride, 12,000 miles on it so far.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 PM
medtech is infamous around these parts
In a word, yes. The Cayenne is guilty of all of the above. Check out the other forums for lengthy discussions on all of them.

Cooling - The cayenne was produced with plastic cooling pipes. Plastic + heat = failure. Replacements are all aluminum.

Driveshaft - the cardan shaft will fail sooner than it should. Many happen around 60k.

Suspension - if you have air suspension it is highly likely you will experience issues with the compressor at the very least.

Support struts for the hood, tailgate, and parking brake - they fail, and fail often.

Gaskets around the headlights - same as the support struts.

Radio head units - commonly go defunct and need replacement.

I have owned both a V6 and a V8 '06 Cayenne and have experienced every one of these problems, some twice.

Still, IMO it's the best driving SUV on the planet.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM
DanK is infamous around these parts
correct if I'm wrong, but isn't this survey about the reliability of the 2011 model? I don't think that the problems below have started to appear on the 958 Cayenne... not saying that they won't, but the forums have seemed pretty quiet on problems with the new model. Honestly I was expecting more problems with my '11 due to it being the first year of production.

Originally Posted by medtech
In a word, yes. The Cayenne is guilty of all of the above. Check out the other forums for lengthy discussions on all of them.

Cooling - The cayenne was produced with plastic cooling pipes. Plastic + heat = failure. Replacements are all aluminum.

Driveshaft - the cardan shaft will fail sooner than it should. Many happen around 60k.

Suspension - if you have air suspension it is highly likely you will experience issues with the compressor at the very least.

Support struts for the hood, tailgate, and parking brake - they fail, and fail often.

Gaskets around the headlights - same as the support struts.

Radio head units - commonly go defunct and need replacement.

I have owned both a V6 and a V8 '06 Cayenne and have experienced every one of these problems, some twice.

Still, IMO it's the best driving SUV on the planet.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:10 PM
medtech is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DanK
correct if I'm wrong, but isn't this survey about the reliability of the 2011 model? I don't think that the problems below have started to appear on the 958 Cayenne... not saying that they won't, but the forums have seemed pretty quiet on problems with the new model. Honestly I was expecting more problems with my '11 due to it being the first year of production.
CR surveys are always questionable. I don't know why, but they covered only years '06 and '11 on this one. '04 was one of the worst years for reliability, and '11 seems too early for many of these issues to have surfaced. None the less, the conclusions are accurate.

I will say, thru experience, that EVERY year since '04 owners have been hopeful that they got the GOOD year (myself included). It hasn't happened yet...

Last edited by medtech; 11-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Black Pepper S is infamous around these parts
2012 purchased in August and now has 4100 miles.

1. Had the felt applied to the air vent to correct an issue with air conditioning. No issue since

2. Put a quart of oil in around 3000 miles when the warning light came on.
No issue since

3. Cracked windshield from a rock while driving home. Windshield replaced with factory original.
No issues

No rattles or squeaks
Very solid
Best ride I have ever owned.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
jesh is infamous around these parts
My fuel pump had to be replaced.

The interior of the car was rock solid but now it rattles like crazy everywhere inside. I can't find the source of it but some rattling from dash, some from backseat. Steering fluid was leaking also. Driver side back pocket (that you can put stuff in from the back seat) is coming off and nobody has ever even been in the back seat...touch screen wigs out once in a while during the hot weather. Umm... that's all so far and there are 4000 miles on it.

It's a loaded turbo, 2011.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 AM
jb111 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jesh
My fuel pump had to be replaced.

The interior of the car was rock solid but now it rattles like crazy everywhere inside. I can't find the source of it but some rattling from dash, some from backseat. Steering fluid was leaking also. Driver side back pocket (that you can put stuff in from the back seat) is coming off and nobody has ever even been in the back seat...touch screen wigs out once in a while during the hot weather. Umm... that's all so far and there are 4000 miles on it.

It's a loaded turbo, 2011.

i got the rattles from the dash i figured out that it is the rain sensor cover right behind the compass

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM
dubai_m5 is infamous around these parts
yea some rattles and dashboard noise ,, also the driver door i have some serious noise i guess this car anybody will get some rattles and noises inside after a while got it since august 2010

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Knock on wood, but not a squeak or rattle after 15,000+ miles. Car feels tight as a drum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports says the Cayenne is bringing Porsche reliability down...