Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

SiriusXM - how long is it free?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
2012cayenne is infamous around these parts
SiriusXM - how long is it free?

My dealer told me 90 days but when I called SiriusXM, they told me I have 2 years free. Anyone know for sure? Also, does the traffic reroute you or just tell you where there is traffic?

Thanks,

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
CKKrause is infamous around these parts
My wife was told 6 months when she bought my '12 CSH.....

Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I have the burnester. Some say it varies in which radio you have.
I only got 3 free months then all shut down automatically. Some get longer randomly no real reasons why sone get varied subscription times.
I believe you can route based on traffic conditions and have it re-route automatically based on what traffic is currently on your screen. (I don't always find it exactly up to the minute, just a generat at times).

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
tex94 is infamous around these parts
definitely re-routes you based on traffic conditions. I have used that a few times already with only 700 miles on the car

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
2012cayenne is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tex94
definitely re-routes you based on traffic conditions. I have used that a few times already with only 700 miles on the car
I see you also have a 2012 X5. How does the Porsche NAV compare to the BMW NAV. I had a 2011 550 and sold it for the Cayenne. While on the subject, how do the two SUV's compare?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 AM
tex94 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2012cayenne
I see you also have a 2012 X5. How does the Porsche NAV compare to the BMW NAV. I had a 2011 550 and sold it for the Cayenne. While on the subject, how do the two SUV's compare?
The PCM on the Cayenne is much, much better than the BMW. I think in terms of quality of mapping, directions, traffic, etc., they are the same but the difference is really between iDrive and touch screen. On the BMW you need to learn all of the menu structures to be fluid with it. On the PCM it is just more intuitive. I'm sure all of the NAV systems in all cars will be touch and/or voice activated over time. External controllers are a thing of the past.

In terms of overall experience, I prefer the Porsche. Getting behind the wheel just feels better. Cabin is really nicely done where the BMW feels a little dated. I have 14 ways seats and they are much more comfortable than the standard X5 seats. In terms of ride quality, I find the Porsche slightly more forgiving of bumps and better on the turns but do think the BMW has "tighter" steering.

Really both are excellent vehicles and happy to have both but if I had to pick one it would be the Porsche. (Just don't tell my wife since the X5 is hers and she has been eyeing my Porsche since I got it last month!)

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
great mini review.

Before I ordered my CTT, I was deciding between the Panamera initially but decided it wasn't what I wanted, then I was mainly between the x55.0 and the x5M and the CTT.
Chose the CTT for MANY reason, but you are right, ALL are superior vehicles just some more than others.
preferred the air suspension, the incline dash, burmester, ceramics, reclining rear seats, and sliding bench, just to name a few.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:30 AM
kev_song is infamous around these partskev_song is infamous around these parts
My dealer told me 90 days but when I called SiriusXM, they told me I have 2 years free. Anyone know for sure? Also, does the traffic reroute you or just tell you where there is traffic?

Thanks,
It's supposed to be for 90 days. I have 4 radios with Sirius/Xm and their billing system was built by chimpanzees. It is completely screwed up, and their call center is in the Philipines and if you call and ask the same question a few times you'll get a different answer everytime. To make a long story short my 90 days turned into 10 months with the traffic service enabled. Don't be surprised if you go more than 90 days.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
Is the XM/Sirius an optional item that must be ordered or is it standard while the owner must pay forthe service? The website isn't very clear since it bundles HD radio with it t an extra charge.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kev_song

Thanks,
It's supposed to be for 90 days. I have 4 radios with Sirius/Xm and their billing system was built by chimpanzees. It is completely screwed up, and their call center is in the Philipines and if you call and ask the same question a few times you'll get a different answer everytime. To make a long story short my 90 days turned into 10 months with the traffic service enabled. Don't be surprised if you go more than 90 days.
I was part of the business launch team for XM and know the guy who built out the billing system. Nope, not built by chimps. It has to do with the integration and merging of two different companies billing systems - Siebel and Oracle vs. Peoplesoft. Things get a bit chunky because of differing promotion codes and the way they are appended to the account depending on what service you were originally with or receiver type.

There are also OEM manufacturing agreements / promotions codes which are still in play because of capital investment and royalties.

Porsche was originally in XM's camp and came with a 6-month trial.

GM was 60 days.

Chrysler was Sirius and came with 90 days.

So long as you miss the "kill" signal sent by the satellites on the beginning of the week your promotion is to end, you can extend your trial for weeks if not months.

And the way you defeat this is simple - keep your radio turned off. Don't power up the receiver.

If memory serves, the kill signal is cued to be sent out every 40 milli seconds for 24 hours on the day your promotion ends. Your radio is getting pounded. After that the frequency drops to every 10 seconds the next day. Every 30 seconds the next ... by the end of the week it's only 2x a day and then it cycles out and they assume your radio was deactivated in the sweep (it's only a 1-way system - they cannot verify).

They run an audit usually every 6 months or so, and your ID will be pinged again, but sometimes you'll miss that signal cycle too - which means more free radio for you.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Heist
I was part of the business launch team for XM and know the guy who built out the billing system. Nope, not built by chimps. It has to do with the integration and merging of two different companies billing systems - Siebel and Oracle vs. Peoplesoft. Things get a bit chunky because of differing promotion codes and the way they are appended to the account depending on what service you were originally with or receiver type.

There are also OEM manufacturing agreements / promotions codes which are still in play because of capital investment and royalties.

Porsche was originally in XM's camp and came with a 6-month trial.

GM was 60 days.

Chrysler was Sirius and came with 90 days.

So long as you miss the "kill" signal sent by the satellites on the beginning of the week your promotion is to end, you can extend your trial for weeks if not months.

And the way you defeat this is simple - keep your radio turned off. Don't power up the receiver.

If memory serves, the kill signal is cued to be sent out every 40 milli seconds for 24 hours on the day your promotion ends. Your radio is getting pounded. After that the frequency drops to every 10 seconds the next day. Every 30 seconds the next ... by the end of the week it's only 2x a day and then it cycles out and they assume your radio was deactivated in the sweep (it's only a 1-way system - they cannot verify).

They run an audit usually every 6 months or so, and your ID will be pinged again, but sometimes you'll miss that signal cycle too - which means more free radio for you.
Interesting...

Is there a way to find out when the XM radio was activated? So that we know when to turn it off for the 90 day kill period?

Vinny

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Wow!! We buy a 100k truck and try to
find ways how not to pay 10 bucks (or whatever it costs) a month for a service they provide.....Nice.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vinnysca
Interesting...

Is there a way to find out when the XM radio was activated? So that we know when to turn it off for the 90 day kill period?

Vinny
Technically, if the radio was already activated under a live dealer demo account they are supposed to contact XM after the Vehicle is sold. This doesn't always happen.

The best way to make sure is to call and find out when the demo ends on that particular radio ID.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM
race3 is infamous around these parts
my 2012 turbo came with 2 years of free xm

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by race3
my 2012 turbo came with 2 years of free xm
They might have upped the promotional time.

The numbers I'm quoting are circa 2007/08 when I left the company.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SiriusXM - how long is it free?