Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Radio keeps coming back on every time the car is started

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
DonS is infamous around these parts
Sorry, the issue that the radio can "never" be turned off when the PCM is on is a long standing one. There are a number of posts complaining about it.

I called the Porsche dealer about this issue soon after getting my 2011 Cayenne. The response was a somewhat flippant: "everyone complains about that". In other words; "live with it, Porsche isn't going to change it".

There are only two mitigations to keep the audio from booming back on when you start the car;

1. Hold the mute button in for two seconds turning the PCM off then turn off the car.
2. Turn the volume down as low as it will go before turning the car off.

Mitigation 1 unfortunately turns off all the other PCM features
Mitigation 2 will at least return the audio to a low (but not inaudible) level when turning the car on.

A related issue can happen if you have Navigation:
Let's say the radio is on mute. Then the navigation voice gives directions, but you want to hear it again? Push the MAP button twice and it'll repeat the directions. Cool, but let's say the volume was too low. Push the MAP button twice again and while the voice is speaking adjust the volume control up. Two things happen; the Navigation voice gets louder and the radio goes off mute and talks “loudly” over the navigation. Bug, bug, bug, Porsche.

And another radio issue is that you cannot listen to the radio without the engine running for more than a few minutes. So, if your parked waiting for someone, you have to run the engine. Not very "green" Porsche.

To summarize, I've wondered why Porsche hasn't corrected this long standing radio issue. Either a) they don't care, b) they won't or c) they can't. It's probably c) as I suspect that the PCM code is so inter-tangled, Porsche cannot segregate the audio from the other PCM components. I've been programming since 1968, and the PCM software/GUI implementation has left me very unimpressed.

Hopefully, Porsche will release a PCM patch to fix this very annoying issue. Let’s hope.

Regards

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Isn't this silly issue found in other Porsche models?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GOBEX
I have a similar problem. The radio is turned off completely while driving, park the car and on start up it's on. I thought it was just me.
If the radio was completely off when you turned off and got out, meaning no NAV/PCM functions, then when you get back in and start it up, it should still be off.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DonS
And another radio issue is that you cannot listen to the radio without the engine running for more than a few minutes. So, if your parked waiting for someone, you have to run the engine. Not very "green" Porsche.
That is something I see in almost every modern vehicle. Electrics will only run a few minutes after the engine is off. In most my other cars the time is around 10 minutes.

As for being green, well I would say that having to replace a dead battery is way more harmful on the environment than letting your car idle for a few minutes. The mining/shipping/construction/disposal of a battery creates far more pollution and hazardous waste than many are aware of.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
synk is infamous around these parts
Yea, especially for people who have the 1 kW Burmester. You probably wouldn't want to run it for more than a couple minutes.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
V10M is infamous around these parts
If you monitor the battery, won't it allow you to flick the ignition off then back on to listen to radio again without firing up the engine?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DonS
Sorry, the issue that the radio can "never" be turned off when the PCM is on is a long standing one. There are a number of posts complaining about it.

I called the Porsche dealer about this issue soon after getting my 2011 Cayenne. The response was a somewhat flippant: "everyone complains about that". In other words; "live with it, Porsche isn't going to change it".

There are only two mitigations to keep the audio from booming back on when you start the car;

1. Hold the mute button in for two seconds turning the PCM off then turn off the car.
2. Turn the volume down as low as it will go before turning the car off.

Mitigation 1 unfortunately turns off all the other PCM features
Mitigation 2 will at least return the audio to a low (but not inaudible) level when turning the car on.

A related issue can happen if you have Navigation:
Let's say the radio is on mute. Then the navigation voice gives directions, but you want to hear it again? Push the MAP button twice and it'll repeat the directions. Cool, but let's say the volume was too low. Push the MAP button twice again and while the voice is speaking adjust the volume control up. Two things happen; the Navigation voice gets louder and the radio goes off mute and talks “loudly” over the navigation. Bug, bug, bug, Porsche.

To summarize, I've wondered why Porsche hasn't corrected this long standing radio issue. Either a) they don't care, b) they won't or c) they can't. It's probably c) as I suspect that the PCM code is so inter-tangled, Porsche cannot segregate the audio from the other PCM components. I've been programming since 1968, and the PCM software/GUI implementation has left me very unimpressed.

Hopefully, Porsche will release a PCM patch to fix this very annoying issue. Let’s hope.

Regards
Agree, Porsche's PCM product management is a bit sketchy, to say the least. But I think there is a workaround that I can live with:
  1. Enable AUX media interface, if it isn't already
  2. Select AUX, leave volume at regular level and PCM on

This works because AUX is just a dumb cable connector: CD doesn't work because PCM won't select it unless there is something to play; AUX-BT doesn't work because it will auto-start whatever is set on the BT device; AUX works because the PCM has no way of screwing it up

The way I think about it is: the audio system is always on and selecting a source means draining that source into the system. AUX acts as a null device.

I think this should also solve your other issue with hitting the Map key twice.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
this is not a new issue, my 997 turbo s cab did it also.

i just leave the source on aux, because i cant stand this defect

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
I had my PCM updated 2 weeks ago,but have not listened to the radio in years
I don't see the need for it
Simply because I believe that to get music and news..I am rarely better served than by myself
Just my 2c

Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
You get used to it. At least you know that you are in a right vehicle when you hear a random radio when the car is started.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
silviuprundi is infamous around these parts
Hello,

It's a really easy fix - just set your radio, cd/tv/aux on whatever setting you like, then press the memory seat "SET" and then the position "1" or "2".

This is not a Porsche bug, it's an individual setting for radio or basically any other setting of the car. once you modify anything through the PCM or board computer, just memorize it onto your seat position.

I had the same problem

Hope this sorts you out!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
hammy113 is infamous around these parts
Thanks silvi. It works on my 09 997TT.
But doesn't work on my 2012 Cayenne Turbo.

Last edited by hammy113; 08-28-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Set my input to SAT then set memory.
Worked great for a few days.....now when I start the car, it's back to an FM Radio station that I rarely listen to. Annoying enough to get your attention, not enough to take it in to the Dealer.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 PM
bghunt is infamous around these parts
Cool Sound System Driving Me Crazy

Just got a 2012 Carrera GTS in a few months ago. As posted by others the Bose comes on when I start it. Last week it started going to full volume all by itself.To make matters worse, after I quickly turn it off, it goes right back to full volume. Not a safe driving atmosphere. I already set the PCM to factory but the problem quickly returned. I took the Toyota and left the Porsche at home today. Will contact dealer tomorrow. Based on others interactions with Porsche, I'm worried that there will be complacency. My problem seems more severe than others so I'll see what they suggest. More to be revealed.