Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne vs. Panamera: Anyone ever wonder why the big price difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Cayenne vs. Panamera: Anyone ever wonder why the big price difference?

Cayenne S: starts at $65,000
Panamera S: starts at $90,300

Cayenne S: v8, 400hp@6500
Panamera S: v8, 400hp@6500

Cayenne Turbo: starts at $107,100
Panamera Turbo: starts at $136,700

Cayenne Turbo: v8, 500hp@6000
Panamera Turbo: v8, 500hp@6000

Anyone know why the 30k price difference for comparable equipped (same engines, etc.) vehicles? They are similar inside too...
The only thing I could think of was Porsche is trying to compete directly with the X5 and GL in terms of pricing.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
The Porsche Cayenne has a cheaper base price because it shares plattform and many parts with other VW group SUV's.
A Cayenne is beefed up VW Toureg.

Last edited by galion; 01-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Do a search for other threads on this very topic, there are a few. You have to drive both of them back to back to feel the difference. The PDK and supple ride and superior handling of the panamera is not very different than the cayenne. I chose a cayenne because we have little boys with car seats and the panny is just too nice for that treatment, and plus I like to have an suv in the stable. But will plan on getting a PTT next. MY CTT with PDCC handles great for an suv. Its extremely fast but the long delay when shifting from 1st to 2nd under heavy load is annoying. The pdk would hold boost and shift a million times faster, but it can not handle the towing capacity or offroading ability of the suv so it needs the torque converter of the normal auto tranny.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
The two vehicles are the best in their respective categories, but are definitely not interchangeable. I enjoy driving both. The PTT still makes me laugh every time I engage launch control and just disappear when I take my foot off the brake pedal. The Cayenne is a great SUV but the Panamera remains absolutely flat when things get twisty. Having owned a Cayman S in the past, I can drive the PTT as easily as the Cayman. The Cayenne S maybe about 7/10ths of the Cayman S.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by wem
The two vehicles are the best in their respective categories, but are definitely not interchangeable. I enjoy driving both. The PTT still makes me laugh every time I engage launch control and just disappear when I take my foot off the brake pedal. The Cayenne is a great SUV but the Panamera remains absolutely flat when things get twisty. Having owned a Cayman S in the past, I can drive the PTT as easily as the Cayman. The Cayenne S maybe about 7/10ths of the Cayman S.

Well, I know you can't compare the two because they have different applications. You say it's 7/10's, but you are comparing two different vehicles. The Cayenne could smoke the Cayman in mud and dirt.

My point in asking the question was with the exception of the PDK, engine and a lot of the features seem the same. So is it worth the 30k extra for the same equipment? I guess depends. Just wondering why the price is so far apart.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
I've wondered the same thing... PTT is a great car but it's hard to understand the $30k premium. The parts sharing makes sense but that being said thEre is little shared for a CTT and any toureg other than frame.

Last edited by Vyper340; 01-25-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Of the 14 cars I have owned in the past 8 years, the Aston Martin and the Panamera TT receive the most attention. Women always compliment the Aston Martin. Guys really like the Panamera. The new Cayenne is a nice looking vehicle inside and outside, but it doesn't get any double takes. Maybe it is because Cayennes are pretty common around my town. Whether or not a Panamera TT is worth a $30k premium over a CTT is an individual choice. Fortunately for me it was not an either/or decision. As you said, each can do things the other cannot. Next up for me will be the new Boxster S.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Cayenne shares many common parts from Touareg/Q7 but Panamera shares nothing.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hkb5variant
Cayenne shares many common parts from Touareg/Q7 but Panamera shares nothing.
I don't agree at least as far as the turbo is concerned unless you are referring to frame, nuts and bolts. The sheet metal and trim is all different, the suspension is totally different, wheels different, interior totally different, dash/electronics different, transmission different, exhaust different. That doesn't leave a whole lot to "share" with the Toureg and my understanding is that the platform design is the only shared item where platform refers to the frame/foundation design.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 AM
AJRDU is infamous around these parts
The platform is generally the most expensive part of development and design of a new vehicle (if you exclude engine design and development costs). Even though the 3 SUVs (Cayenne, Q7, Touareg) share very little of what can be seen on the inside or out, the cost of developing them was greatly reduced by sharing the hidden parts. The crash structure, the floor pans, the hard points and suspension mounts and even a lot of the basic suspension structure is shared among them even though the tuning is totally different. If you pul the front wheel off and look at the aluminum suspension parts on the new cayenne, for example, many of them have a VW stamp on them. Consider that the Panamera was a clean sheet design with none of its development costs shared among multiple nameplates, and that its sales volume will be less than combining the sales of Cayennes, Q7s, and Touaregs. Add to that the fact that there was a new v6 developed for it and you start to see that there has to be some sort of premium to help recoup the design and engineering expense. Engines costs millions to develop and right now that V6 is only being used in the Panamera--unlike most other engines in the Porsche line-up. That's expensive. I guess you also have to consider that the Panamera may compete in a segment of vehicles where the profit margin can be a little higher. All combined would explain the pricing.

Last edited by AJRDU; 01-26-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Makes sense

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by AJRDU
Add to that the fact that there was a new v6 developed for it and you start to see that there has to be some sort of premium to help recoup the design and engineering expense. Engines costs millions to develop and right now that V6 is only being used in the Panamera--unlike most other engines in the Porsche line-up. That's expensive. I guess you also have to consider that the Panamera may compete in a segment of vehicles where the profit margin can be a little higher. All combined would explain the pricing.

Isn't the V6 in the Cayenne the same as the Panamera.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 AM
AJRDU is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by frank69m
Isn't the V6 in the Cayenne the same as the Panamera.
No. The Cayenne's engine is the same size but is a tuned and massaged version of the VW developed narrow angle VR-6 that has been around since the 90's. The Panamera's is a brand new traditional angle V6 with the same displacement and power rating but greater smoothness and lower overall height making it better suited for the low hood of a sedan.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AJRDU
The platform is generally the most expensive part of development and design of a new vehicle (if you exclude engine design and development costs). Even though the 3 SUVs (Cayenne, Q7, Touareg) share very little of what can be seen on the inside or out, the cost of developing them was greatly reduced by sharing the hidden parts. The crash structure, the floor pans, the hard points and suspension mounts and even a lot of the basic suspension structure is shared among them even though the tuning is totally different. If you pul the front wheel off and look at the aluminum suspension parts on the new cayenne, for example, many of them have a VW stamp on them. Consider that the Panamera was a clean sheet design with none of its development costs shared among multiple nameplates, and that its sales volume will be less than combining the sales of Cayennes, Q7s, and Touaregs. Add to that the fact that there was a new v6 developed for it and you start to see that there has to be some sort of premium to help recoup the design and engineering expense. Engines costs millions to develop and right now that V6 is only being used in the Panamera--unlike most other engines in the Porsche line-up. That's expensive. I guess you also have to consider that the Panamera may compete in a segment of vehicles where the profit margin can be a little higher. All combined would explain the pricing.
Very good explanation.

Quite a lot of differences in the sheet metal manufacturing as well...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
While R&D cost may be a factor, they could very well recoup the cost by quantity, selling them at mass consumer price. But then that would ruin the brand prestige.

They might also be setting the price based on the competitiveness of the segment. CTT is already one, if not the most, expensive SUV on the market. If they go even higher to PTT price level, it's be a harder sell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. Panamera: Anyone ever wonder why the big price difference?