Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Fabspeed exhaust tip fail....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Fabspeed exhaust tip fail....

So......

I ordered a set of Fabspeed cat delete's and exhaust tips for my ned CS about a week ago. As soon as they arrive I set off to install them. The cat deletes fit ok, but I was a little upset to see that, while Fabspeed includes new hardware for the upper connection, they decided not to supply a new nut for the middle support brace. For those who are unfamiliar, the OEM secondary cats have a nut tack welded onto them, this is used to attach them to a middle brace.

OEM:

Fabspeed:

So...no nut welded on. They want you to re-use one of the nuts removed from the secondary cat connection. Kind of sad when spending $600 plus for some cheap pipes.

Then we get to the tips. First off, one tip had very poor chrome work on it:

No, thats not dirt of grease....its flaking chrome. Keep in mind these came out of the box this way. They were not dropped or mishandles in any way, shape, or form.

The first tip (pictured) bolted on with no issues...super easy install.

The second tip did not fare so well. The fabspeed tips are two piece....so the piece in question is actually a short, 90 degree elbow that connects the tip to the exhaust can. The flared end of the Fabspeed elbow was not flared nearly enough....pics:

OEM:

Fabspeed:

This results in the OEM clamp putting plenty of force on the OEM flare (on the exhaust can) but not enough force on the fabspeed side of things.

The outcome:

I have since resorted to a piece of security wire to hold the tip up and stop it from falling down (as seen in the picture). The Fabspeed tip will not fall off....but also will not tighten down adequately.
The tips/pipes were purchased through Tom @ Champion Motorsport. I called Tom to complain about my experience and he handled it very well, calling fabspeed to get a replacement elbow. Even after sending pictures to Fabspeed, they still will not send a replacement unless they speak to the "shop that installed the parts" to "make sure they were installed correctly". Pretty poor choice...especially for a (most likely) five dollar part. Buyer beware I guess.

Last edited by TighTT; 01-27-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Ylincooper is infamous around these parts
I bought these and they were absolutely perfect. easy install. Good luck with your tips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Porsche-Cayenne-Turbo-958-OEM-Style-Muffler-Exhaust-Tips-Dual-Tailpipe-HOT-/130604933649?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item1e68a92211

Last edited by Ylincooper; 01-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
I would recommend calling Joe at Fabspeed direct. He has always seemed to be a stand up guy that backs up his products. IMHO the flaring issue looks like some damage that happened before installation (shipping, packing at a vendor, etc.). Good luck

Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear but thanks for the heads-up.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
irishfan1985 is infamous around these parts
I had a set of Fabspeed mufflers on my GT3...needless to say the welds on the mufflers actually failed and split open. This led to an obnoxcious rattle and looked horrendous. I was absolutely disgusted by the whole ordeal and contacted them directly. They did replace the pipes and I must say they accommodated me rather quickly with a new set. They seem like nice chaps but I don't think they can hold a candle to AWE's fit & finish. IMO

Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vyper340
I would recommend calling Joe at Fabspeed direct. He has always seemed to be a stand up guy that backs up his products. IMHO the flaring issue looks like some damage that happened before installation (shipping, packing at a vendor, etc.). Good luck
Both elbows were not flared enough. We managed to get the drivers side on but the passenger side simply will not work. Its being held up by safety wire until I order new tips from another vendor. Sad.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
SIIK2NR is infamous around these parts
wow.... sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting. My confidence in Fabspeed has just dropped about 4-5 notches.

Not every product will be 100%....100% of the time. However, customer service is what keeps people coming back. Sounds like this could also be an issue.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hi TighTT, I'm sorry to hear about your issue, its uncommon for things like this to happen. I will make sure it gets handled and resolved quickly. Please call me at 215-646-4945 or PM me your information so I can get in contact with you.
Mistakes can happen but we try to be perfect with everything we make. As for the nuts that are welded on your stock 2ndary pipes, I have updated our shipping product manual and hardware will be included. I apologize for this and thank you for bringing it to our attention, I'm not sure how we missed this.
We always need to talk to the installer regarding installation to get more details on the problems that occur so we can the right decision on how to resolve it for you and for all future orders. I look forward to talking to you and getting this resolved quickly so you can enjoy your car with the Fabspeed upgrades.
Thanks,

Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed
Hi TighTT, I'm sorry to hear about your issue, its uncommon for things like this to happen. I will make sure it gets handled and resolved quickly. Please call me at 215-646-4945 or PM me your information so I can get in contact with you.
Mistakes can happen but we try to be perfect with everything we make. As for the nuts that are welded on your stock 2ndary pipes, I have updated our shipping product manual and hardware will be included. I apologize for this and thank you for bringing it to our attention, I'm not sure how we missed this.
We always need to talk to the installer regarding installation to get more details on the problems that occur so we can the right decision on how to resolve it for you and for all future orders. I look forward to talking to you and getting this resolved quickly so you can enjoy your car with the Fabspeed upgrades.
Thanks,
Alex,

I think I accurately described (with pictures!) what the problem is. This is a very simple install, unlike a turbo system for example, and, IMO, doesn't warrant further discussion. I plan to flare out the elbow myself (which is all it needs), remove the tips and cat by-passes from my vehicle, and sell them.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TighTT
Alex,

I think I accurately described (with pictures!) what the problem is. This is a very simple install, unlike a turbo system for example, and, IMO, doesn't warrant further discussion. I plan to flare out the elbow myself (which is all it needs), remove the tips and cat by-passes from my vehicle, and sell them.
Understand where you're coming from and totally agree!!
However...it seems Fabspeed wants to make good, I'd give him the chance to do so... why not just ask for a refund?

That way he gets to show he stands behind his product/customer service, you get your $$ back and no one else gets stuck with damaged tips which won't fit right.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Understand where you're coming from and totally agree!!
However...it seems Fabspeed wants to make good, I'd give him the chance to do so... why not just ask for a refund?

That way he gets to show he stands behind his product/customer service, you get your $$ back and no one else gets stuck with damaged tips which won't fit right.
I understand what you're saying but:

I plan to make the tips fit perfect before I sell them. Additionally, I plan to disclose the issues I faced with the potential buyer. Fabspeed wants to make good after I posted on the internet...instead of simply sending me the stupid elbow and taking back the incorrectly manufactured one. I dont want to deal with Fabspeed or they're products again.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
I'm confused. Fabspeed is making good on their product but you don't want that. Why?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vyper340
I'm confused. Fabspeed is making good on their product but you don't want that. Why?
Just a personal preference/decision. Im unhappy with how the mishap was handled and Im moving on. I no longer wish to run their products on my vehicle.