Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

JBM Cayenne V6 arrives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
DkTai is infamous around these parts
Wait, I thought there was going to be a clock in the place of the compass with no extra charge. How come you don't have that clock?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DkTai
Wait, I thought there was going to be a clock in the place of the compass with no extra charge. How come you don't have that clock?
I wondered that also.
There is times seen digitally now in the PCM screen and also in that screen next to speedometer. Maybe that's why the clock is no longer given. Or maybe it's because the car went to Canada ?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Finally got the cayenne today. Awesome to finally have it after the long wait! Drove it only about 15min home tonight. Wanted to drive more but Too busy and tired to do anymore tonight.

Initial thoughts.

1) those asking about the ride on the 21" wheels with no air suspension - seems fine to me but the roads in my city are great. Will test it out more this weekend.

2) no vibration issues

3) engine seems a bit loud and roaring...is this normal for the V6? i thought it would be more quiet like a luxury sedan.

Will update this weekend

Last edited by GIjbop; 02-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GIjbop
Finally got the cayenne today. Awesome to finally have it after the long wait! Drove it only about 15min home tonight. Wanted to drive more but Too busy and tired to do anymore tonight.

Initial thoughts.

1) those asking about the ride on the 21" wheels with no air suspension - seems fine to me but the roads in my city are great. Will test it out more this weekend.

2) no vibration issues

3) engine seems a bit loud and roaring...is this normal for the V6? i thought it would be more quiet like a luxury sedan.

Will update this weekend

Congrats and enjoy! Engine seems loud? Come on, you didn't buy a Lexus RX 350. You bought a Sports SUV beast

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM
TheBrainyBeav is infamous around these parts
Congratulations - enjoy!!!

Would love to hear more about ride quality on the 21"s after you've had a chance to break her in properly. I'm expecting a similar build to arrive in ~3 weeks but with 18" wheels. I'm planning to use the 18"s for winter and then get a set of Vorsteiner forged wheels for summer.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
slw23 is infamous around these parts
Yes, normal for the V6. I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard engine growl.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Today i drove the for 1.5hrs total through residential, city roads and highways up to 130km/hr.

Overall it was grrrrrreat! I was really losing interest in the car with all the waiting and was not even that excited when i picked it up because im so happy with the 911 i have already. But once i started driving the Cayenne, i was reminded why i was so excited to order it initially.

Overall it has such an superb combination of an aggressive and luxury SUV. The interior is amazingly comfortable (but this is comparison to the 911 with carbon fibre bucket seats ive driving for 5 months daily waiting for the cayenne). I have all these extra gadgets and features ive never had before that makes it feel so luxurious to me - lane change assist, entry drive, GPS, panoramic roof, automatic tail gate lift and close, auxillary bluetooth streaming of music from my iphone, memory seats and ventilated seats, back up camera etc. I dont have the Burmester but the Bose sound system is much better than whats in my 911 for sure.

For those wondering about the 21 inch wheels without air suspension..its not even an issue on the roads i drive on for me. The roads here are pretty good because the winter is pretty mild and large potholes and ridges on the roads are rare. No complaints at all with the smoothness of the ride. There are small potholes, and bumps on the highway i drive on but it was nothing i would even notice when driving over them. (but i am comparing it to the 911 which is much less comfortable and yet i never felt the 911 was too bad either..but i would avoid small potholes and road bumps if possible because I would definitely feel those driving over them).

For those wondering about Winter wheels. No i will not get them. It snows on average 1 week total a year here. It mostly rains here instead and rarely gets below freezing. I have driven my 911 on summer 19inch all winter. If its wet and colder than -5C i generally take public transit because it is convenient for my work location. Even if i had Winter Tires, i would not trust other drivers here as a large proportion of drivers here do not have winter tires and i would worry about getting hit ! I may change my mind on the Winter tires later if needed.

There seems to a noticeable roaring sound all the time ..almost like in an airplane...when driving over 30km/hr. Im not sure if its the engine because its present if a release the gas pedal and cruise. Im not sure if its the tires then. NEvertheless, it does not really bother me.

Ill try to add some more details and pics on the weekend.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:26 AM
OpinionChan is infamous around these parts
Im assuming that without AS but having PASM set to comfort mode would be as good as AS?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM
V10M is infamous around these parts
Air Suspension controls vehicle ride height and leveling. PASM controls the dampers / shock valve settings for comfort/normal/sport. They serve different purposes, although some may say that the air-bag-suspension may ride differently than conventional steel springs.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
one issue i had on pick up of the car was that the dealer washed the car and put tons of swirls all over the car. Very noticeable. Probably should have told them not too wash it when it arrives but i would have assumed a porsche dealer would know how to detail a black car.

i wonder if i should bring it to a professional detailer to polish the clear coat

Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
ACar is infamous around these parts
I"ll be picking up my V6 Metor Gray from the dealer next week. Looks like my build is quite similar to GIjbop (but with 19 Turbo wheels). It has indeed been quite a long wait

Hmm, looks like build for Canada do not come with the free clock as I did not see the clock on a couple of new arrival at the dealer's lot today.

I had a chance to take a 2011 CS for demo for a weekend. Both me and my wife heard a growling noise when applying gas. It was a bit unpleasant. We did find this car more noisy than our current MB GLK. But we still prefer the overall drive/ride of the C.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ACar
I had a chance to take a 2011 CS for demo for a weekend. Both me and my wife heard a growling noise when applying gas. It was a bit unpleasant. We did find this car more noisy than our current MB GLK. But we still prefer the overall drive/ride of the C.
Hmm, to each his owm.
The growling sound from my CS when applying gas is music to my ears while I am being pushed back against the seat.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
ACar is infamous around these parts
Sorry, think I used the wrong descriptive word. I meant weeing sound. Growling/roaring would be beautiful notes to my ears too. Love the cargraphic export loud on my C2S.

Perhaps it was just that CS I was test driving gave out that consistent low weeing sound.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
V10M is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ACar
Sorry, think I used the wrong descriptive word. I meant weeing sound. Growling/roaring would be beautiful notes to my ears too. Love the cargraphic export loud on my C2S.

Perhaps it was just that CS I was test driving gave out that consistent low weeing sound.
Wow! I thought I was the only one to hear this / it was only our CS that did this. When we 1 st picked up the vehicle from the dealership and driving home, I noticed that "weeeing" sound you are talking about. To me, that sounded like the car had a faint turbo-spooling kind of sound, but it wasn't turbo.

I think a more accurate description is that it sounded like a bad ground on an aftermarket stereo. The whining (faint) sound would change it's pitch according to throttle position. That was the first thing I noticed on the drive home and it had me worried.

However, after the car warms up, it becomes less audible. And now that we are almost passed break-in period, it has subsided till the point that I don't even think it is there anymore.

Might be the fuel pump. But after a couple thousand miles and it warms up, it goes away.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM

Initial thoughts.

2) no vibration issues

Will update this weekend

After 6 months..i took the cayenne in for a different issue and asked them to look into the roaring noise. I thought is was tire noise...but there is a definite humming noise...sounds like the noise you hear when sitting inside an airplane.

Anyways....they ended up finding and fixing the problem...wheel bearing problem. Now it sounds so much more quieter!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JBM Cayenne V6 arrives