Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by steph280
Are the leather used by Porsche just so fragile? Our 130K+ miles Toyota with its whopping $1000 leather option has lasted over a decade and still going strong, compared to the $3000+ Porsche leather which can show wear before the car hits 5000 miles.
It's the seat design and you have to take into account the driver or passenger.

My Father in Law has had 2 Mercedes SLs and both seats have been trashed after less than 35-40K miles, they look like the pic of the Yukon seat. The thing is he wears a cell phone there on his left hip and that is what is causing the problems for him, well that and the fact you have to slide down and climb out of that car, since it's so low.

I have had 3 GM SUVs in the last 10 years and each has gotten over 75000 miles without more than normal creases, no rips or tears.

On a side note, I was at the Porsche dealership a few days ago and was checking out the new 911s and I got into one and noticed how constraining the seat was then saw the sticker where it stated 18 way seats.

That is an option I would definitely pass on, the 14 way are the perfect balance of sport and comfort in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VinceV
It's the seat design and you have to take into account the driver or passenger.

My Father in Law has had 2 Mercedes SLs and both seats have been trashed after less than 35-40K miles, they look like the pic of the Yukon seat. The thing is he wears a cell phone there on his left hip and that is what is causing the problems for him, well that and the fact you have to slide down and climb out of that car, since it's so low.

I have had 3 GM SUVs in the last 10 years and each has gotten over 75000 miles without more than normal creases, no rips or tears.

On a side note, I was at the Porsche dealership a few days ago and was checking out the new 911s and I got into one and noticed how constraining the seat was then saw the sticker where it stated 18 way seats.

That is an option I would definitely pass on, the 14 way are the perfect balance of sport and comfort in my opinion.
Of course it also has to do with the cow it came from (seriously) and what part of the leather. I used to have a leather shop and when we bought hides, we preferred the ones with barbed wire marks indicating the cow was not a placid one. The belly hide is much more inclined to wrinkle and is softer than the shoulder portion. You might notice that on shoes where one part of the shoe seems to wrinkle and crease much more than the other.

Anyhow seems like it might be worthwhile developing a "seat horn" as a takeoff from a shoe horn. A think plastic material that you would slide over and then put it behind the seat after you get in. Since most of the time will be in the seat itself, I don't want to let a cosmetic issue affect the comfort/function of the seat itself. Worst comes to worst, it will wear away and tear and I'll ignore it or get new leather on that side but meanwhile be able to enjoy the additional tightness and as one person said "sitting in instead of sitting on" the seat. But I agree too with what you said initially that it depends on the driver & passenger.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Since when did Toyota start using leather on their seats