Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

The new Macan...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Exclamation The new Macan...

Well the release of the "baby" Cayenne (previously referred to as the Cajun) is on the horizon and it looks like it might be less "family" more "sports" inspired.

I put my order for a 2013 Cayenne on hold till the unveiling of the Macan and am wondering what other Cayenne owners think/feel about this newest variant...
Too "junior" or likely alternative to the Cayenne?

Cheers!

Sid.

Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2012, 01:52 AM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
The Macan is going to share the Audi Q5 chassis, so it is clearly smaller than the current Cayenne.

I would not expect it to be a more capable vehicle than the Cayenne, just as an BMW X3 is to a X5 or Audi Q7 is to a Q5.

They call them Baby for a reason. So if you want less room/less performance and of course less price, then wait it out.

If your intent is pure performance, and you just want a Porsche SUV, then maybe a top of the line Macan may be more performance orientated than a base Cayenne.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VinceV
The Macan is going to share the Audi Q5 chassis, so it is clearly smaller than the current Cayenne.

I would not expect it to be a more capable vehicle than the Cayenne, just as an BMW X3 is to a X5 or Audi Q7 is to a Q5.

They call them Baby for a reason. So if you want less room/less performance and of course less price, then wait it out.

If your intent is pure performance, and you just want a Porsche SUV, then maybe a top of the line Macan may be more performance orientated than a base Cayenne.
Yes that thought (Q5, X3) makes me cringe... but when I saw the styling sketch I rather liked it and since I don't need a large(r) SUV my interest was sparked.
That said, if it's a "bottom of the line" and really looks like a "baby" version than I'm going to stick with the larger, more "mature" Cayenne.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-10-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Yes that thought (Q5, X3) makes me cringe... but when I saw the styling sketch I rather liked it and since I don't need a large(r) SUV my interest was sparked.
That said, if it's a "bottom of the line" and really looks like a "baby" version than I'm going to stick with the larger, more "mature" Cayenne.

Thanks for the feedback.
If it looks like the sketches, it's gonna be a hot vehicle, both in terms of sales and looks. If you can now somehow get into a Porsche SUV for $40K, those things will fly out of the dealer.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 AM
sound pig is infamous around these parts
But will the Macan pass the two-sets-of-golf-clubs-in-the-back test?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by sound pig
But will the Macan pass the two-sets-of-golf-clubs-in-the-back test?
I've always wondered, at what point did golf clubs become the standard for space measurements?

My bedroom is 75 sets of golf clubs!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
If it looks like the sketches, it's gonna be a hot vehicle, both in terms of sales and looks. If you can now somehow get into a Porsche SUV for $40K, those things will fly out of the dealer.
Rightttt
I hate Porsche for doing that!!
So many people who don't know and just look at the ads or in car mags think oh that's pretty good, "you can get a Cayenne at $55K...

Phffff yeah if you want a manual that rides like a Bronco... no matter how many times I've configured it, at the very least it's 85K for a base make it a 100K for an S... pretty sure this same Porsche pricing "philosophy" will apply to the Macan

But you're probably right, they'll put a price tag on it of 40K... bringing the prestige of the P. brand down and for me making the the Macan a non starter.

Guess time will tell...

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Rightttt
I hate Porsche for doing that!!
So many people who don't know and just look at the ads or in car mags think oh that's pretty good, "you can get a Cayenne at $55K...

Phffff yeah if you want a manual that rides like a Bronco... no matter how many times I've tried to configure it, at the very least it's 85K for a base make it a 100K for an S... pretty sure this same Porsche pricing "philosophy" will apply to the Macan

But you're probably right, they'll put a price tag on it of 40K... bringing the prestige of the P. brand down and for me making the the Macan a non starter.

Guess time will tell...

LOL, yeah that's the great thing about a Porsche, A Cayenne S(for example) can be anywhere from mid 70's all the way to 105+ depending on a few marked boxes.

Remember when the Cayenne came out all the 911 guys screamed bloody murder, how that damn truck was going to ruin the brand, make it cheap, dilute it whatever they could say.

I welcome the Macan, I think it clearly has a spot. I don't ever think Porsche is going to be a vehicle that you can get into for under $40k, so I'm not worried about "cheapening" the brand, and as you stated they may have a base MSRP of 40ish, but after all the little options are added it's still gonna be a 55k+ vehicle easy, and that is a lot for a car the size of a Q5.

As a matter of fact when we bought our son his Q5(graduation gift) when they 1st came out, we got it for under $34k, yeah it didn't have the sunroof or nav, but it's still very nice.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
LOL, yeah that's the great thing about a Porsche, A Cayenne S(for example) can be anywhere from mid 70's all the way to 105+ depending on a few marked boxes.

Remember when the Cayenne came out all the 911 guys screamed bloody murder, how that damn truck was going to ruin the brand, make it cheap, dilute it whatever they could say.

I welcome the Macan, I think it clearly has a spot. I don't ever think Porsche is going to be a vehicle that you can get into for under $40k, so I'm not worried about "cheapening" the brand, and as you stated they may have a base MSRP of 40ish, but after all the little options are added it's still gonna be a 55k+ vehicle easy, and that is a lot for a car the size of a Q5.

As a matter of fact when we bought our son his Q5(graduation gift) when they 1st came out, we got it for under $34k, yeah it didn't have the sunroof or nav, but it's still very nice.
Personally I never thought the Cayenne was bad for Porsche (nor the Panamera), nothing wrong diversification
Used to drive just Range Rovers but switch to the Cayenne, my problem is with the "perception" of value...
That said, those whom are interested quickly find out that the advertised price is not realistic hence the amount of cayenne's or Macan's on the street will never be high (compared to other brands).

I have a feeling the Macan is going to have a unique look rather than look like a baby version of the Cayenne (as is the case with both X3 and Q5).

Old 03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
I'm not an SUV guy but regardless of how "pretty" they make 'em, they all like a 4WD mini-van.
Hahahah...bmw, audi, porsche, acura...they all look like mini-vans on steroids!!

With that said, I love the look of the new Cayenne but it's too big and cumbersome as a daily commuter.
I like that Porsche is making a smaller/lighter SUV that is just as capable and perhaps 90% as fast as the Cayenne.
However, I would definitely consider the Meccan if it comes out.
I like the trend where auto manufacturers are going...smaller and lighter!

Last edited by mark12345; 03-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by mark12345
I'm not an SUV guy but regardless of how "pretty" they make 'em, they all like a 4WD mini-van.
Hahahah...bmw, audi, porsche, acura...they all look like mini-vans on steroids!!

With that said, I love the look of the new Cayenne but it's too big and cumbersome as a daily commuter.
I like that Porsche is making a smaller/lighter SUV that is just as capable and perhaps 90% as fast as the Cayenne.
However, I would definitely consider the Meccan if it comes out.
I like the trend where auto manufacturers are going...smaller and lighter!
yeah i'm kinda curious too...
I know it's build on th same platform as the Audi Q5 (which I really don't like) but I have a feeling it will be very hard to tell.

same as that the Land Rover LR3 and Range Rover Sport share a platform... two totally different vehicles!
Also the Macan is suppose to get the same engine line-up as the Cayenne.
So a smaller/lighter vehicle with same power would mean faster and more nimble

We'll see soon enough.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
having a first gen cayenne and with high gas price nowadays (and i refuse to buy non-porsche atm), i am seriously considering this option. cargo space is "useless" to me and at the time of the purchase, cayenne was pretty much the best of the best SUV imo. it still drives perfectly fine and great but if porsche offers this, i am in!

i thought about evoque 4dr but i think this is worth the wait. really impressed with evoque. (haven't driven one but awesome styling overall)

Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Enilder
having a first gen cayenne and with high gas price nowadays (and i refuse to buy non-porsche atm), i am seriously considering this option. cargo space is "useless" to me and at the time of the purchase, cayenne was pretty much the best of the best SUV imo. it still drives perfectly fine and great but if porsche offers this, i am in!

i thought about evoque 4dr but i think this is worth the wait. really impressed with evoque. (haven't driven one but awesome styling overall)
Evoque looks pretty but personally as I understand it, its built on the same chassis as Ford's/Land Rovers CUV platform (Flex, Escape and L2). For that amount of money $55K w/options, I would get a used Cayenne or new BMW.

My wife has a 2011 328 AWD sport wagon. We would get this over before any larger SUV (w/exception to perhaps Meccan).

We like the new X3 as well...ugly, but the driving dynamics and size makes it a perfect city/tourer...

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
some news, it will be offered with 5 engines:

Gasoline:
Macan-TT: 3.0-liter V6 Biturbo with 370HP and 400 lb-ft of torque
Macan-S: 3.6-liter V6 with 295HP
Base-Macan: 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 220HP (0 to 62 mph in 7.5 seconds)

Diesel:
Macan-SD: 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 with 250HP
Macan-D: 2.0-liter turbodiesel 4-cylinder with 190HP

Macan Turbo buyers will be able to pick between two 911-derived gearboxes: the first is a seven-speed manual, and the second is a seven-speed PDK unit. The TT will feature two sequential Borg Warner turbochargers, and an air-to-air intercooler.

Although the Macan will share some of its underpinnings with the Q5, Porsche has gone to great lengths to give its SUV a sportier ride.
“We’ve surprised even ourselves,” said Porsche development boss Wolfgang Hatz. “It drives incredibly well and, from what we’ve seen from the competition, will be the most sporting car in its class.”

Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
some news, it will be offered with 5 engines:

Gasoline:
Macan-TT: 3.0-liter V6 Biturbo with 370HP and 400 lb-ft of torque
Macan-S: 3.6-liter V6 with 295HP
Base-Macan: 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 220HP (0 to 62 mph in 7.5 seconds)

Diesel:
Macan-SD: 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 with 250HP
Macan-D: 2.0-liter turbodiesel 4-cylinder with 190HP

Macan Turbo buyers will be able to pick between two 911-derived gearboxes: the first is a seven-speed manual, and the second is a seven-speed PDK unit. The TT will feature two sequential Borg Warner turbochargers, and an air-to-air intercooler.

Although the Macan will share some of its underpinnings with the Q5, Porsche has gone to great lengths to give its SUV a sportier ride.
“We’ve surprised even ourselves,” said Porsche development boss Wolfgang Hatz. “It drives incredibly well and, from what we’ve seen from the competition, will be the most sporting car in its class.”
you impress me with these news. this is great. i hope (i really hope) TT is priced below cayenne s but i doubt that...(with moderate options of course).

also, i'd think that they will take the NA 3.6L and TT (3.6L TT, not 3.0L TT). was that a typo?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.