Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

V6 or V8?? Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
texex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vitaman
You are getting almost 6% off a high demand car.
I think that is excellent.
Many have to push hard and long for 4-5%.
Second purchase in two weeks may have some part in that

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
texex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the rough
Just to be clear, I keep hearing, 'my wife' when referring to 958. Is a V8 S really a soccer mom car?? I have a new 991 and wanted to have SUV for daily, but worried about soccer mom thoughts...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
VinceV has a spectacular aura aboutVinceV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by texex91
Just to be clear, I keep hearing, 'my wife' when referring to 958. Is a V8 S really a soccer mom car?? I have a new 991 and wanted to have SUV for daily, but worried about soccer mom thoughts...
No it's not. How many women do you see posting in these threads? Some may use it as an excuse, but almost all the Cayenne's I see out being driven have a man behind the wheel.

Now grant it, I have taken my Son and nieces/nephews in it to tennis lessons, but that doesn't make it a Soccer Mom car.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
Think about what goes in a car to be a good soccer mom car.
Now think about the performance, the sophisticated performance oriented nature of the drive train, the highly advanced suspension system, the priority given the tach position over the speedometer, real guage and electronic delivery of oil temp, oil pressure other engine vitals, etc etc. Its an enthusiasts car, even if it takes the kids to soccer practice now and then.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Brookings
Think about what goes in a car to be a good soccer mom car.
Now think about the performance, the sophisticated performance oriented nature of the drive train, the highly advanced suspension system, the priority given the tach position over the speedometer, real guage and electronic delivery of oil temp, oil pressure other engine vitals, etc etc. Its an enthusiasts car, even if it takes the kids to soccer practice now and then.
Well said again Ken...so soccer dad driving the relatives to practice car In all seriousness I appreciate the honest answer. Still just on the fence.

Last edited by texex91; 03-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
Picked up my new 991 last weekend, and thought about getting a 958 for the 'daily' driver (would be nice to have a Porsche garage). I have read this thread regarding 6 vs. 8 and need help.

Single, no kids/wife, so that issue is out of equation. My dliemma is should I get a V6 with Turbo II wheels (which really makes it look like V8) for about $70, or spend the extra $15K for the V8? Not wild about the V6 being a VW engine.

HOWEVER, I already have my 991 for the 'sports car', so do I really need another V8? Is the V6 'too slow'? (My local dealer will not have one for 3 weeks to drive).

Owners of both please pipe in here on your opinion.
Get the best car ur willing to pay for! But the wheels make a huge difference in the appearance IMHO ! I went V6 with turbo IIs and am very satisfied!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by GIjbop
Get the best car ur willing to pay for! But the wheels make a huge difference in the appearance IMHO ! I went V6 with turbo IIs and am very satisfied!
That is what I was thinking as well. Turbo II's make a HUGE difference. How's the pick-up in the V6?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Ken pretty much nailed it. There are women who appreciate acceleration, handling, and technology, but not many who will pay the kind of money it takes for a CTT. Most (not all mind you) would rather buy a Toureg, X5, or MDX and put the difference into a 2 week vacation to Fiji and a house redecoration.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vitaman
Ken pretty much nailed it. There are women who appreciate acceleration, handling, and technology, but not many who will pay the kind of money it takes for a CTT. Most (not all mind you) would rather buy a Toureg, X5, or MDX and put the difference into a 2 week vacation to Fiji and a house redecoration.
I didn't know you knew my wife . . .

Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Funny the wife is always brought up when there's discussion about the V6.

Our V6 is nice and we love it. Yeah I'd love to have the power of V8 or CTT, but just like the OP I have the 997 to have fun with. Wife is plenty happy with the V6, and she was just bragging how she smoked a Lexus SUV who wouldn't let her merge onto the freeway.

But if you are even slightly considering the V8, I'd rather spend the money than face with the regret later. Just don't bring the CTT into the equation...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Most wives that are mentioned on this forum seem to enjoy the quality build and performance of the Cayenne
Maybe its not just a "guy thing"

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
My wife wanted the Cayenne Turbo and then the X5M. After we got them, she ended up driving the 997 Turbo most of the time... not your typical soccer mom

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I've done the same myself (991S + Cayenne) however I just want to give you a heads-up...
Next year Porsche is coming out with a face lift for the Cayenne.
Because of this I have postponed my order and am slotted to get the first 2014 Cayenne allocation at the dealer (summer 2013).

I'm going with the V6 because I'm tired of spending $$ on gas!
Have always had Range Rovers and used to say "if you have to ask how much gas it uses... ya probably shouldn't be buying it.."
But after years of spending 1K++ a month (just on the DD)... I don't say that anymore, guess I grew up and realized that even if ya can afford it... why would you want to, at least with a SUV DD.
To such an extend that I even looked into the Cayenne Hybrid...

The V6 is underpowered only when you drive it with your foot down all the way, for a relaxed DD in auto mode it feels very solid and seems to run/shift on torque more than revs...
If you run it on revs it's disappointing (more noise than anything) but (like you) that's what I've got rides like the 911 for.

Another thing you said I agree with is that a V6 does kinda look feminine (don't go hating on me my fellow V6 6speeders ), but that's just my opinion.
To change that, the first thing I was planning to do before even taking delivery is to have the dealer put a Turbo front-end on it + put a Hofelle wide bodykit (and of course order it with those Turbo II wheels).

I know, crazy right... dealer is used to it by now, customize everything.
Love the way the Turbo looks, just don't need or want the gas guzzler DD.
Anyway, just another perspective.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Next year Porsche is coming out with a face lift for the Cayenne.
Because of this I have postponed my order and am slotted to get the first 2014 Cayenne allocation at the dealer (summer 2013).
Whoa--stop the press! Excuse me...face life huh? Do we have confirmation on that? If so, then yes, I would wait as well I'd hate to have old version of the platform. BUT 1 year is a long time

This is what I found--looks like 2014?
An updated Panamera, sporting a new face and powertrain upgrades, is expected to arrive in 2013, while a facelifted Cayenne is expected to arrive in the following year. Details on both models, however, remain thin on the ground at this (very) early stage.

Last edited by texex91; 03-14-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Whoa--stop the press! Excuse me...face life huh? Do we have confirmation on that? If so, then yes, I would wait as well I'd hate to have old version of the platform. BUT 1 year is a long time
Hahaha... yeah thought you might react like that
Do a Google search and talk to your dealer.
When I confronted my dealer with this info I added, "if I find out that there's a facelift next year you're going to have a VERY upset customer and I'll never spend another penny here!"... he then reluctantly confirmed that a facefilt is coming for the 2014 model and suggested that they'd reserve the very first one for me... (nice safe).

I know it's long wait but I've got a Benz SUV right now and don't really use it in summer.
Sure you won't even think about the Cayenne till winter yourself with that brand new 991
Then again... there's alway a new model on the horizon .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.