Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Leather Dash Care?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
Leather Dash Care?

How do you all care for the leather on the dash board - I have Espresso leather. Do you use the same treatment as for the seats? How often do you treat it. With what?

Thanks much,

Ken

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I treat the same an do it on the same schedule as the rest of the full leather in my CTT.

Leatherique.

Prestine clean.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jace
I treat the same an do it on the same schedule as the rest of the full leather in my CTT.

Leatherique.

Prestine clean.
That's what I thought too. Lets see what the MASTER has to say (w00tPORSCHE - I live in Sandpoint Idaho in the summer and he is in Eastern Washington, so I'm sucking up in hopes of having his advice or bribing him with some Festival at Sandpoint tickets or something to come up and do my car!).

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
hopofthese is infamous around these parts
Any other advice as far as products to use that are quick. Leatherique is nice but too involve.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Try Zymol products.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
WFBlue is infamous around these parts
I could have sworn that w00t posted on this topic and indicated that standard leather care treatments were not recommended for the dash (on full leather configs.) due to the method Porsche uses to stretch and install the leather dash.I tried to search for w00t's post on this topic here and over at rennlist, but no joy.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
zman2002 c4s has a spectacular aura aboutzman2002 c4s has a spectacular aura about
I use 303 aerospace protectant for the UV protection.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
WF blue. You are absolutely right. Never use leather conditioner on the non contact leather parts. I mean NEVER. Jace seems to have no problem I guess. The leather is stretched tight in these areas like the doors, center console, dash etc and conditioning it would soften it up to the point where it would become too supple and eventually wrinkle. Trust me on this guys. Did it once and paid the price and that was with the Leatherique rejuvenator oil which BTW is one of the best products for leather conditioning. There is another theory on this area: "The leather of the dash rests upon a metal backing that acts like a frying pan on hot days. This accelerates the drying of the leather which causing premature shrinkage, cracking and hardening. Thus a dash should be treated more often than the seats or door panels."

In my opinion, dash leather needs very little care. Just regular dusting and cleaning once a month or so. Make sure that you use windshield shade when parked outside in the sun. My 997 has natural leather on its dash like my Cayenne and I have not conditioned it even once. Looks factory fresh three years and 20k miles later and it is my daily driver. I use Prestine clean once a month.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
ikegram is infamous around these parts
Use Rejuvenator Oil product before using Prestine?

wootPORSCHE:

After your response I researched info regarding Prestine. In their documentation they recommend 1st using their Rejuvenator Oil product before applying Prestine. Should the Rejuvenator oil be used on the dash leather? thx

Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
I've never put anything on any of my dashes, at least eight full leather cars over the years. Never had a problem, even living in Colorado. No problem with my CTT, one year old, never treated, only dusted.