Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Considering Cayenne Diesel but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Considering Cayenne Diesel but...

Started by configuring both a Cayenne Diesel and a base Cayenne. Used the same options for both: same color/interior, same packages (Bose audio, Premium Package Plus), 8 speed tiptronic. The final price for the Cayenne diesel is about $70k; for the gasoline model is about $66,000. So the diesel is about $4k more expensive.
The diesel is more fuel efficient, but based on figures published at http://www.fueleconomy.gov and assuming that the Cayenne diesel will have similar fuel consumption to the VW Touareg ($2,850 per year), the savings of the diesel versus the gasoline model ($3,300 per year) will be $450/year. Considering the $4k premium of initial cost of the diesel, it will take nearly 9 years to recoup that extra initial cost. I for one do not typically keep vehicles for that long so I do not see myself benefiting from the fuel savings advantage. Aside from the extra torque, what other advantage does the Diesel model will have? Thinking about resale value, would the diesel hold its value better than the gas model? I know that it will be more scarce, but also many folks do not want anything to do with diesel vehicles.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
[edit] seems like reliability and fun factors are primary goals. personally, i wouldn't worry about couple hundred dollars for gas if fun factor is really important to you.

Last edited by Enilder; 04-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Diesel should retain its value much better, have zero engine problems and last 300k miles . Did i mention it pulls stumps?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Diesel gas might be harder to find?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 AM
adasb is infamous around these parts
Increased range too!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hroussard
Diesel should retain its value much better, have zero engine problems and last 300k miles . Did i mention it pulls stumps?
Much better? Didn't know diesel was so popular in the states...? I never was in the market for any diesel cars so I won't know how "much" they are better but it can't be THAT "better" than gasoline cars.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Cowboys5 is infamous around these parts
Don't under estimate the torque factor. Very different ride as the regular v6 may seem seem sluggish in comparison. The other point I'll make is in cost. You should check to see if the numbers on that site compare regular gas or premium. I know in my case in my current car, I need to use premium unleaded, which currently carries an approximately 25 cents a litre premium ($1 per gallon) over diesel. So for my driving habits of 25,000kms per year, the savings would be much bigger when considering the extra range. Also, reliability and resale (in Canada, anyway) should be better. As for fuel availability, that all depends where you live. In my situation, virtually every station carries diesel. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 AM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Enilder
[edit] seems like reliability and fun factors are primary goals. personally, i wouldn't worry about couple hundred dollars for gas if fun factor is really important to you.
Are you saying that the gas model is more fun to drive?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Cowboys5 is infamous around these parts
Diesel will be more fun compared to v6. Torque is excellent.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
SeaCay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Diesel will be more fun compared to v6. Torque is excellent.
+1 Have the Cayenne 6 and had the Q7 TDI. Combining the diesel from the Q7 and its torque with the Cayenne 6 should be a match made in heaven. Can only wish for the diesel 8 Cayenne that the rest of the world will get.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by nicoff
Are you saying that the gas model is more fun to drive?
I was thinking hybrid; My mistake (I was browsing hybrid at the same time ). 400 ft lb torque is not a joke considering how light 958 is relative to the first gen. Can't really comment much since it's not out yet.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
DRYRUNNER is infamous around these parts
I read the engines must be pulled to change the timing chain. $7k each time.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
J-lou is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DRYRUNNER
I read the engines must be pulled to change the timing chain. $7k each time.
You probably just have to take some parts off before you would be able to change the timing chain but I don't know why you would do that as I know only one or two (european) diesel engines which have problems with their timing chains and Vw's 3.0Tdi isn't one of them. Timing belt is a completely different story with modern diesel engines but I don't think that's the case in this one.

At least some diesel engines by Mercedes and many other brands we have here have over 500.000 or 1.000.000 miles on them and still running on original timing chain.

Last edited by J-lou; 08-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 PM
onurleft is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hroussard
This. MUCH better.

We have an A3 Tdi, a few months back I looked back on used A3 prices. The car lists for 28k new - 34-36k with options. The cheapest one I found for sale in the whole nation was a 10' model with 60k for $22,500. A similar mileage/cost 2.0T S-line with options and the same is mid teen's.

Originally Posted by SeaCay
+1 Have the Cayenne 6 and had the Q7 TDI. Combining the diesel from the Q7 and its torque with the Cayenne 6 should be a match made in heaven. Can only wish for the diesel 8 Cayenne that the rest of the world will get.
This too.

Drive a diesel, it's an entirely different type of "fun" and is so rewarding everyday i.m.o.

Last edited by onurleft; 08-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SeaCay
OT torn between a Q7 TDI (for space and cheaper) vs. Cayenne Diesel. someone told me Q7 driives like a minivan. any input since you have both Q7 and cayenne v6 version?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering Cayenne Diesel but...