Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Ylincooper is infamous around these parts
Oil Change?

Oil still reads full and no change yet. Im at 7k miles. It should be changed, no?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Porsche recommends every 10K......or every year whichever comes first.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Oh, I always thought the first change was suppose to be a quick one. <5k miles. But thanks.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Changed my at 1k miles.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Well now im worried lol

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
DanZah is infamous around these parts
Speaking with a very knowledgeble technician - known / reputed to be the best on the West Coast - he stated that changing the oil to early while breaking in the vehicle (in the Porsche case, that would be under 2,000) could be far more damaging than changing late out of schedule - and especially since the Porsche is synthetic only (which is good, other than in the case of a too early change). On a related topic - you stated your Porsche has 7000 miles and still reads at top end of oil - indicates better than the even great close tolerances for which Porsche is renowned, as well as very good driving techniqes. Kudos. Is it a Turbo? If so, that is nearly unheard to have 7,000 initial miles and only a little oil consumption. My turbo greedily gulped down its first quart of Mobil One at 2,000 miles. I've learned to keep a quart on board at all times. Also, there is a tech bulletin and update for the oil consumption reading gauge. I just had that done to my CT, and feel far more secure on local and long trips that I will be able to get near immediate accurate oil level readings.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 AM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
What was the reasoning behind an early oil change being detrimental?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2011PorscheCaye
What was the reasoning behind an early oil change being detrimental?
Yeah, I would like to know too. BTW, I would get it changed since it is your first. Then, do it every 10k

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
WFBlue is infamous around these parts
FWIW, mechanics at the dealer told me not to change oil earlier than recommended because the oil installed "at new" has different properties than standard, purposefully formulated for the break-in period. BS? could be. I asked about the conventional wisdom that particulates "break off" during break in and contaminate the oil, and therefore this oil should be removed.. They laughed and said this was not the case and that the engine had been run at the factory in any event. Though I am skeptical about all information coming from the dealer, I generally go with the "unified financial theory of the universe"; if someone can make an argument which takes money out of my pocket and puts it in theirs, they will. In this case, it is in the dealer's financial interest to have owners pay for an additional oil change @ $250-300; the fact that they don't recommend it, tells you something. They also have an interest in having the maximum reliability ratings and high engine longevity for brand reputation. Presumably, then Porsche is not going to recommend something (wait until 10K miles) that damages these. Could they be wrong? It is possible, but without definitive information to the contrary, trusting their protocol which goes against their financial interest seems appropriate. My 2 cents.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
DanZah is infamous around these parts
WFBLUE is far more knowledgeable and articulate than me. I do agree with much of his analysis, with corresponds eerily close to what the technician, whom has proven trustworthy, has stated. I don't have the knowlege, so once I can vette and trust, I go with the professional knowledge. I wouldn't defend myself in court, like I wouldn't take apart a CT engine. I do especially agree with WFBLUE assertion that Porsche has a reputation to protect, and wouldn't do something short term to ruin the long term. And I have found great Porsche service departments, and I have found others that are wanting - with technicians and service advisors just collecting paychecks, and void of passion to be the best and void of enthusiasm or effort to push themselves always to be at the tip of the sword of knowledge. I expect that of myself in my work and results, I expect it in all who have chosen a career path and profession.