Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Break-in Period takinga long time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Break-in Period takinga long time

Well, I've had my CS for a over 2 months now, but I've only done short drives and I only have 600 miles on it. All 600 miles have been to the store and back pretty much. I haven't taken a long "spin" in it as of yet. Does anyone see any issues with this? I've heard I should take a long drive to break it in and leave it unker 4k. I know some disagree with the 4k with the high tolerances of these englines.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
WFBlue is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by frank69m
Well, I've had my CS for a over 2 months now, but I've only done short drives and I only have 600 miles on it. All 600 miles have been to the store and back pretty much. I haven't taken a long "spin" in it as of yet. Does anyone see any issues with this? I've heard I should take a long drive to break it in and leave it under 4k. I know some disagree with the 4k with the high tolerances of these engines.
Everyone I have spoken to about this issue (and the manual) recommends long drives during break-in after proper warm up. I believe the manual explicitly advises against short "stop and go" trips during break-in. If you are able, I would hit the open road.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Drive it like you stole it after it warms. Did it from day one.
Done it with all my cayennes and perfect history. 28,000 miles on my 2011 CTT

Last edited by Jace; 04-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Ya. I was wondering. Thanks for the info guys. I need to find an excuse to take a long trip, but I haven't

Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Break in period for me was 500 miles varying rpm not flooring it. This took 7 hours for me.
After that until today, I drove it hard and at any speed and any rpm. The only thing I follow closely is waiting until tells get to 200 degrees. After that drive it hard.
Cars that are driven hard from beginning seal better and perform better over time.
It's proven.

Don't worry, get out there today and start flooring that has pedal.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jace
Break in period for me was 500 miles varying rpm not flooring it. This took 7 hours for me.
After that until today, I drove it hard and at any speed and any rpm. The only thing I follow closely is waiting until tells get to 200 degrees. After that drive it hard.
Cars that are driven hard from beginning seal better and perform better over time.
It's proven.

Don't worry, get out there today and start flooring that has pedal.

haha. I noticed the Sport Mode def makes a difference in performance. Although, I do see 13mpg.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Inadvertently I have followed both bits of advice recommended in this thread.
After full warm up I have kicked it some although no all out flooring..... and I have taken a half dozen 50 mile highway trips.
However unlike Frank, I have 700 miles in just 1 week!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
DanZah is infamous around these parts
Frank - your life must be as blissfully boring as mine - I have only 2000 miles on my 2011 CT after9 months! I use the CT only to go to and return from climbing in the Northwest. Other than that, the CT (and I) sit at home. I would listen to the counsel of WFBLUE, I have read his postings and they are always knowledgeable. As a devil's advocate, in a "regular" vehicle, long trips are not recommended during break in because it doesn't put varied stresses on the engine parts and on a small level, the engine will conform tolerances to that one primary speed of the long trip. However, Porsche manual does state nearly precisely what WFBLUE counseled - which is the opposite of a "conventional" vehicle.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
WFBlue is infamous around these parts
From the 2011 Manual for your convenience:

Break in hints for the first 2000 miles (3000 kilometers) The following tips will be helpful in obtaining
optimum performance from your new Porsche. Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the moving parts must still wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2000 miles (3000 km). Therefore:
-Preferably take longer trips.
-Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
-Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
-Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4200 rpm (revolutions per minute).
-Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.
-Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).
-Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
-Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2000 miles (3000 kilometers).
-There may be a slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in
period which will gradually disappear.

The Manual does not saying anything about varying rpm's for longer trips during break-in , but I have heard that recommendation for a long time and abide by it.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
BlueLodge400 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jace
Drive it like you stole it after it warms. Did it from day one.
Done it with all my cayennes and perfect history. 28,000 miles on my 2011 CTT
I completely agree with this. I have done the same with every vehicle I have ever owned.

You want to break your vehicle in by driving it how you will normally drive on a daily basis. Engines now are designed much differently than they were 20 years ago.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
DanZah is infamous around these parts
I got a kick out of the "Drive it like you stole it" comment. Every stolen vehicle that I know or saw came back as junk, leaking fluids, or crashed.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Frank your Cayenne is going to end up like my 997....only 8500 miles after 4 years and then I took a hit on depreciation and sold it.

Drive down to OC on Saturday for the Irvine Car and Coffee...lots of cool cars here.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DanZah
I got a kick out of the "Drive it like you stole it" comment. Every stolen vehicle that I know or saw came back as junk, leaking fluids, or crashed.
Witty point D
However,I look at it more as:"drive it like you JUST stole it!",instead of "drive it like it was recovered after being stolen"
My very first miles were on an unlimited portion of the Autobahn,and Porsche's Leipzig track during precision training
I would say that my CT has been driven,right from the start,about as hard as they ever do
A few thousand miles later,I am delighted to confirm that it has always performed flawlessly

Last edited by pepper09tt; 05-01-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
V10M is infamous around these parts
My approach is always within guidelines, but on the aggressive end of the owner's manual.

Always warm up oil temp to 200 before being aggressive.
I don't "floor" the engine until after 2000 miles (max I go is about 70% throttle)
Take long trips and manually row thru the gears every few minutes on highways. Lots of 4k RPM, then 3k, then 2k back to 4k and everything in between. I didn't exceed 4500rpms. I usually run the engine on much higher revs than normal-leave-it-in-Drive style.
Don't brake hard and let the pads/rotors wear in for the 1st 500mls
On inclines, always in a lower gear or 2. I don't let the engine labor, even if the auto tranny wants 2k going up. It's always 3k+ for inclines during break-in for me

Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by V10M
My approach is always within guidelines, but on the aggressive end of the owner's manual.

Always warm up oil temp to 200 before being aggressive.
I don't "floor" the engine until after 2000 miles (max I go is about 70% throttle)
Take long trips and manually row thru the gears every few minutes on highways. Lots of 4k RPM, then 3k, then 2k back to 4k and everything in between. I didn't exceed 4500rpms. I usually run the engine on much higher revs than normal-leave-it-in-Drive style.
Don't brake hard and let the pads/rotors wear in for the 1st 500mls
On inclines, always in a lower gear or 2. I don't let the engine labor, even if the auto tranny wants 2k going up. It's always 3k+ for inclines during break-in for me
Thats how I do it. I will go with the bible. (I am not Christian )