Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CTT Front Plate no drill methods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
jesh is infamous around these parts
CTT Front Plate no drill methods?

Anyone have any CTT front plate no drill methods besides tow hook?

Barrington Hills in Illinois is notorious for this... the same guy has pulled me over three times already. It's not that I care about the tickets, I just hate sitting there for 20 minutes!!!

Anyhow, I refuse to drill into this beauty, so it looks like my alternatives are either a tow hook or just take the punishment of being pulled over.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
do a quick search, i think you'll find we have discussed these topics over length.
I think there is a kit that stores the plate under the front bumper, then upon exit, you can press a button and the motorized plate folds up.

There are also ones that fold due to wind resistance, and fold back upon stoping.

there are also other methods.

I don't have the links, b/c I am out at the moment, but just wanted to chime in so you know you have options.

For me in CO, you won't get pulled over, but the parking police are terrible. And for that reason, after exhausting all methods, I just drilled the holes.
IMHO, its not that bad, and oh well.

good luck.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jace
do a quick search, i think you'll find we have discussed these topics over length.
I think there is a kit that stores the plate under the front bumper, then upon exit, you can press a button and the motorized plate folds up.

There are also ones that fold due to wind resistance, and fold back upon stoping.

there are also other methods.

I don't have the links, b/c I am out at the moment, but just wanted to chime in so you know you have options.

For me in CO, you won't get pulled over, but the parking police are terrible. And for that reason, after exhausting all methods, I just drilled the holes.
IMHO, its not that bad, and oh well.

good luck.
Yeah it's been discussed on the older Cayenne's and there is a way to do it. You can't do retractable, because it will be angled and just doesn't work.

Sorry, but for 150k I'm not going to drill holes in the car and then find out next month they pass the no plate law!! How to you position your plate? Do you have a turbo?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
All true. decisions decisions.
I did the drill method on my CTT
Here's a pic with the front plate drilled.

If my state decides to pass the no front plate law, she'll will be professionally filled and painted and will be back to leaving the factory status before I can blink.

I agree, it's annoying, but in CO all my vehicles have the front plates now; my cheap $40K vehicles and even my over $150K vehicles. sad but true.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jace
All true. decisions decisions.
I did the drill method on my CTT
Here's a pic with the front plate drilled.

If my state decides to pass the no front plate law, she'll will be professionally filled and painted and will be back to leaving the factory status before I can blink.

I agree, it's annoying, but in CO all my vehicles have the front plates now; my cheap $40K vehicles and even my over $150K vehicles. sad but true.
It's actually not too bad since you have it 'centered'. It's not more above or below. I've seen some that hang down and it just looks ridiculous.

Suppose I should do something about it. Funny thing is, none of my other cars (E46 M3, ML550 and Hummer H1) have front license plates. The M3 is an '02, the ML a '10, and the H1 I only drive in the winter (forget the year on it?). Anyhow, I've never been pulled over for the front plate issue, but in the CTT, 3x already! Ah well.

Thanks for the pic, Jace.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
The factory in Leipzig put two nylon tie wraps to hold my front plate to the front grill. No drilling which was especially good for me because when it arrives in Florida, I need no front plate anyway. The plate is different that US size but I believe you can probably do the same thing.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
Positioned like like Jace but attached with 3M double sided trim tape. 10" of that properly installed and you can do a chin-up with it. Apply heat and leverage and it will come off when needed.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the other two suggestions. Will have to figure something out soon.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
Was thinking, "What's the big deal about putting a front plate on....sometimes they look cool." And then I saw Jace's picture. Just like Florida, Georgia does not require them. Why do some States make you do that?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
. .

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
They want to be able to capture the driver's face along with license plate on the traffic cameras...

Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I gave in. Front bracket is on order and will be installed. I got pulled over again in another car and ordered front brackets for all three of them. They won!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
It's not the worst thing that could happen.

If I had a storage facility and all I did was drive cars and not
Park them in CO I wouldn't consider this option bc you won't get pulled over for not having a front plate alone, it's the PARKING. And after iffy 3 tickets in one week from parking police I caved as well.