Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

I'll never be ready to buy a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
phatchunk99 is infamous around these parts
I'll never be ready to buy a Cayenne

Contrary to what you might interpret from the title, I would love to buy a Cayenne. However, after spending hours on end on the online configurator, I'm about ready to give up and look elsewhere.

The options I picked are really what I consider as a must for a luxury SUV:
Bose Audio Package
Premium Package (heated front seats, 14-way power, heated multifuntion steering wheel, Reversing camera with parkassist, panorama roof)
Silver Metallic
Luxor Beige
Roof Transport System (no way to add the rails if the car didn't already come with them, I read in the brochure)
Tiptronic S
18" Cayenne Wheel
Walnut Interior (which requires aluminum gear selector)
Telephone Module
Voice Control

After all that and $70.9K later, the Cayenne would not even come with any of the performance features that Porsche is known for. If I add those including Air with PASM, PDCC, PTV Plus, then the price goes up to $79.9K.

Am I crazy or is that just too much for a base Cayenne with the options that I consider as "musts" for a luxury SUV plus some "musts" for a proper Porsche. Should I go with a much more economic route with either the X5 3.0 or ML350? I'm hoping you guys will talk me out of both! Thanks much!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
I have never driven either the BMW or MB..but last week drove a BMW 330i loaner and to put it lightly:I was far from impressed..steering ok,but power and brakes anemic : pretty boring driving experience....looked good from the outside though
Perhaps a better value(and more fun too ) would be to shop around and find a lightly used S with most of the options you expect
Good luck

Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM
tex94 is infamous around these parts
I own the X5 and test drove the ML350 and can tell you that the difference in price is well worth it. I wouldn't balk at the 70k price tag on a V6. I would say though that if you are leading pdcc, ptv and other goodies then I would move the S first. I just don't think you are going to get as much out of those with the VR6 engine as you would with the V8.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
I'm afraid you get what you pay for.
Traded an X5 for a Cayenne that was 1.5 times the price. It is easily one and a half times better in every way.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
I have never driven either the BMW or MB..but last week drove a BMW 330i loaner and to put it lightly:I was far from impressed..steering ok,but power and brakes anemic : pretty boring driving experience....looked good from the outside though
Perhaps a better value(and more fun too ) would be to shop around and find a lightly used S with most of the options you expect
Good luck
Thanks for the input, Pepper (and no offense taken by the way from a current 330Ci owner ) I thought about getting a slightly used S as well, but I would worry about the chance of getting an improperly broken-in car.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by tex94
I own the X5 and test drove the ML350 and can tell you that the difference in price is well worth it. I wouldn't balk at the 70k price tag on a V6. I would say though that if you are leading pdcc, ptv and other goodies then I would move the S first. I just don't think you are going to get as much out of those with the VR6 engine as you would with the V8.
True. But adding all of those options to an S would take me into the 90K+ territory. Shouldn't I then be comparing that to an X5 M instead?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by vitaman
I'm afraid you get what you pay for.
Traded an X5 for a Cayenne that was 1.5 times the price. It is easily one and a half times better in every way.
Did you get all of those performance options I mentioned? If not and the Cayenne is still 1.5 times better, then I might just settle for the base Cayenne without them.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Having owned a 2011 CTT for 18 months, it is far better then a X5M or any other SUV. But it does cost much more.

If you want to stay at or below the $80k, then the V6 Cayenne is not worth it. I would go with the new X5 5.0, with its twin turbo V8 and you can get it modified by Dinan for a few grand more. It is much more car then a V6 Cayenne for the same money.

If money is not an issue then get a higher level Cayenne and get everything you want and pay the extra.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
I've driven several SUVs and nothing comes to my mind that is close to Cayenne. Not an ordinary SUV.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phatchunk99
but I would worry about the chance of getting an improperly broken-in car.
I wouldn't worry about whether the Cayenne was broken in properly. I think there are as many people that "drive them like they stole them" while new as properly break them in. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-reality.html

Last edited by imcarnuts; 06-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
"Did you get all of those performance options I mentioned?"
Oh yes. All those and more. Both cars were heavily optioned and drive out price was one and a half times more expensive.
The Cayenne is simply more effortless with its power, significantly better handling, and has a more elegant and commanding interior.
If you have budget constraints, I would look on Autotrader for a well taken care of used one.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Ken Brookings is infamous around these parts
My Cayenne S replaced an X5. The Cayenne cost about $22K more. The BMW was a fine vehicle; solid, did what it was supposed to do, was completely reliable and provided a very nice cabin for road trips. No complaints and many compliments.

However the Cayenne is simply a much better vehicle - integrates all the pieces very nicely. Is much elegant where the BMW was stodgy. Smoother in the execution of its tasks. Offers a bit of sizzle and fun beyond what the BMW could muster. And the Burmester system is easily the best sound system I have ever heard on wheels.

The BMW was a good car at a slightly inflated price. The Porsche is a steal thanks to delivering just that extra something in every category within such a refined package. Terrific driving environment; nearly on par with my Quattroporte

Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Cayennes are expensive, an most people driving by that aren't far enthusiasts can't tell the difference from a base to a CTT and when they ask they price, they always say, oh I thought they were around $80k.

I did drive the x5 50 and it is a very nice vehicle. You get a lot of great options in the soft leather, 3rd row (if you care), spare tire, comfort seats, etc. and from the sounds of it fits into a more reasonable budget.

If you want newer just get the BMW, if you want better, get a used cayenne.

My .03.

Good luck

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ken Brookings
My Cayenne S replaced an X5. The Cayenne cost about $22K more. The BMW was a fine vehicle; solid, did what it was supposed to do, was completely reliable and provided a very nice cabin for road trips. No complaints and many compliments.

However the Cayenne is simply a much better vehicle - integrates all the pieces very nicely. Is much elegant where the BMW was stodgy. Smoother in the execution of its tasks. Offers a bit of sizzle and fun beyond what the BMW could muster. And the Burmester system is easily the best sound system I have ever heard on wheels.

The BMW was a good car at a slightly inflated price. The Porsche is a steal thanks to delivering just that extra something in every category within such a refined package. Terrific driving environment; nearly on par with my Quattroporte
Very well said.
One of my friends who rode in the CTT with me shortly after I got it said "Wow all of this for only 128k, it is a real bargain". Sounds crazy to think that but its true.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Very well said.
One of my friends who rode in the CTT with me shortly after I got it said "Wow all of this for only 128k, it is a real bargain". Sounds crazy to think that but its true.
Could not have said it better myself

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'll never be ready to buy a Cayenne