Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sport Design Steering Wheel Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Sport Design Steering Wheel Retrofit?

My 2011 CTT has the multi-function steering wheel, has anyone retrofitted the Sport Design wheel with paddles? If so, do they add the selector switch to replace the multi-function dial like on the cars that come from the factory with the Sport Design wheel?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 AM
oz390gta is infamous around these parts
I have just ordered a GTS which has the Sports Design wheel with paddles as standard. My dealer is in the process of finding out what is required to do the opposite of what you are asking by swapping this wheel to the multifunction wheel. I know now that the multi-function wheel was a no cost option on the GTS but me and the dealer missed this fact when ordering it as every other Aussie spec'ed Cayenne has the multi-functional wheel as standard equipment.

I will let everyone know what is required.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
You may want to have the multi-function wheel for re-sale purposes, but the Sport Design/paddle wheel is very good in my opinion. I have it on my 991 Cab and really like it; in lieu of the dials on the multi-function wheel there is a selector level/switch below the wiper lever on the right side - it is very easy to use and every bit as good as the dials on the multi-funtional wheel that I had on a previous Cayenne. I also like the overall look and feel of the Sport Design wheel, but that's really a personal preference. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
My only reason for wanting the multifunction wheel is so that I can skip to the next track on my iPod. Do you know if this is possible with the selector lever?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM
You can skip between tracks of a playlist with the selector lever; however, you cannot change playlists as far as I know - that has to be done on the screen or with the right hand radio control ****. The multi-purpose Audio display screen shows the tracks, it works very well. I honestly found that the selector lever is as easy and as functional as the wheels on the multi-function steering wheel; and the paddles are superior to the buttons in my view.

Last edited by Newman; 07-31-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
You have given me hope that I don't have to change the wheel as I do like the paddles. My only concern is skipping to the next track of an already selected playlist, from what you are saying this is possible with the selector stalk?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by oz390gta
You have given me hope that I don't have to change the wheel as I do like the paddles. My only concern is skipping to the next track of an already selected playlist, from what you are saying this is possible with the selector stalk?
I am not sure I fully understand your question, but in general you can see the track list on the multi-function display to the right of the tach, and you and can move up or down the track list to select whichever track you want to play. The display also highlights the track that is playing, all very straight forward. There is nothing you can do on the multi-function steering wheel that you cannot do with the selector stalk. I am fairly certain you will like the setup.

The only thing the multi-function wheel has is two buttons and a volume control for the phone/audio system. However, it's just a few flicks on the selector to control the phone as well. The little dials on the multi-function wheel are not perfect either, especially when you are driving - they tend to spin too easily and you have to be careful to make the selection you want, the stalk is much more positive in this regard.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, you have answered my question. All I wanted was to move to the next track in a playlist via the stalk, actually seeing the list of tracks is a bonus. I can do without volume and phone
Controls on the steering wheel.