Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Drain clogged!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
dimseem is infamous around these parts
Drain clogged!!!

Story 1:
3 weeks ago, after a normal started up. I figured the air vents had nothing coming out so I brought the car (2012 V6) back to the dealer. Next day they called me and told me the fan motor burned and need to be replace (all the cost was under warranty). They explained the drain got clogged and water overflow and shorted the motor.

Story 2:
My partner owns the same car as I do, in fact we bought them at the same time. Last friday he figured the front passenger floor was flooded. So he brought it back to the dealer and it's not under warranty. They have to charge for the unclog which is $290.

Anyone of you experienced these?? Is there anyway to inspect and unclog ourselves??

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
By " Drain " I assume you mean the drain for the evaporator core. Because the AC makes the evaporator cold, it sweats and the drain allows the water to drip to the ground.

This is inside the dash. I do not see any way that this is your fault. Unless there is an overload of leaves, pine needles, etc... This should be a covered repair.

I would ask for further explaining.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by svoshop
By " Drain " I assume you mean the drain for the evaporator core. Because the AC makes the evaporator cold, it sweats and the drain allows the water to drip to the ground.

This is inside the dash. I do not see any way that this is your fault. Unless there is an overload of leaves, pine needles, etc... This should be a covered repair.

I would ask for further explaining.

Good luck.

Mike
Mike,

That's right. Mine is covered by the dealer; however, my partners isn't. Eventually we got in touch with the regional manager today and she is going to take care of the fee for unclogging. It seems like a common problem to most of the porsches not just cayenne. I found some post ppl have the same problem with their boxter.

My question was how can I prevent this to happen again? Until my ac failed again or the passenger side got flooded? Or every now and then to bring it back to the dealer for inspection? If they have a sensor to warn for high level of water then it makes much more sense. Then i'll know when it needs to be clean up. And I believe there is no information showed on the manual explaining now to do it yourself.

Do you think it's a design problem? VW touareg share the same chassis does it happen to them?

Thx

Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Angry

Update:
This morning it was pouring in NYC. I found out there is water dripping in from the front passenger seat footwell. The water is coming in from the bottom of the compartment area. After being through the shorted AC fan not too long ago. I quickly realize it's my turn. Water supposed to flush out to the bottom of the car from drain hole behind the liner on each side of the wheel, . However, it was only dripping.
I just picked up my car from the dealer less then a month ago. The drain was supposed to be cleaned. So I bought it to a garage and began the cleaning process.
First, I remove couples screws on the wheel liner closer to the door side and flipped it opened. Then, I already saw a bunch of soil/dirt and leave clogging up the drain hole (photo attached). Second, I opened the hood and removed the grill/pan and ECU near the passenger side and I discovered even more soil/dirt and leaves clogging up. I believe the entire area were filled with rain water earlier. After cleaning up I pour water from the side of the sunroof and water were flushing out to the bottom of the car. THAT'S HOW YOU CLEAN THE DRAIN!!

JACK DANIEL PORSCHE SERVICE DEPARTMENT I'LL NEVER USE YOU ANYMORE!!

Tips: Pay attention to the rate of water coming out from the bottom of the car, especially after a heavy rain and car wash. If you see dripping water and it seems like it will never end, it's obviously clogging up. Cleaning require!!!!!

Attached Images    
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dimseem
Update:
This morning it was pouring in NYC. I found out there is water dripping in from the front passenger seat footwell. The water is coming in from the bottom of the compartment area. After being through the shorted AC fan not too long ago. I quickly realize it's my turn. Water supposed to flush out to the bottom of the car from drain hole behind the liner on each side of the wheel, . However, it was only dripping.
I just picked up my car from the dealer less then a month ago. The drain was supposed to be cleaned. So I bought it to a garage and began the cleaning process.
First, I remove couples screws on the wheel liner closer to the door side and flipped it opened. Then, I already saw a bunch of soil/dirt and leave clogging up the drain hole (photo attached). Second, I opened the hood and removed the grill/pan and ECU near the passenger side and I discovered even more soil/dirt and leaves clogging up. I believe the entire area were filled with rain water earlier. After cleaning up I pour water from the side of the sunroof and water were flushing out to the bottom of the car. THAT'S HOW YOU CLEAN THE DRAIN!!

JACK DANIEL PORSCHE SERVICE DEPARTMENT I'LL NEVER USE YOU ANYMORE!!

Tips: Pay attention to the rate of water coming out from the bottom of the car, especially after a heavy rain and car wash. If you see dripping water and it seems like it will never end, it's obviously clogging up. Cleaning require!!!!!
Thanks for the information and pictures. I couldn't really understand where the pictures were taken or what they were showing but I get the idea. I take it you live and drive where there are leaves falling and on the ground?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
rmm300 is infamous around these parts
Dealer price gouge - drain clear

This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I have only owned the Boxster for 6 months and I preemptively had the oil changed and fluids checked even though I didn't have to. NO ONE mentioned this not the dealer I bought it from and not the people who serviced it.

Now thankfully insurance has covered the 6K repair bill but now the dealer is telling me its going to take 6 hours and $800+ dollars to clear the drains (which of course is not covered by insurance because it is maintenance) Please someone tell me they are just gouging me because that seems completely ridiculous.

I live in MA and if any of you know anyone reputable who won't try to completely overcharge me please let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM
EasternLI is infamous around these parts
I had this problem back in the Spring and my dealer said water pools up because the drains have small openings that can easily become clogged. He said he just pulled out the rubber rings that surround the drain holes making the holes much bigger and therefore allowing more debris to go through them, seems to have worked fine so far. btw - the dealer did this free of charge, said it was Porsche's fault for making the drains so small and easy to clog

Last edited by EasternLI; 11-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
rmm300. I have no experience with that but I would agree that the charge is ridiculous. And Eastern LI's post really addresses that.