Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can't sell my Cayenne for fear of being shipped overseas!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM
danac123 is infamous around these parts
Can't sell my Cayenne for fear of being shipped overseas!

I have a 2013 Cayenne V6 with 1340 miles, purchased it in August and just put it up on Ebay for auction, I am looking to buy an S. I had a buyer call me from Cali and wanted to buy it. I mentioned this to my dealer told me based on the person I described he was pretty sure the buyer was going to ship it to China and I should not sell it to him. He also said that if the buyer did ship overseas I could be black listed from buying another Porsche. I am pretty disappointed and was wondering what would be the consequences to selling the car to this guy? I am assuming that if the buyer does not register the car and ships it I would be on the hook as breaking the rules. My dealer also said Porsche is very strict about this and it could cause legal issues. Also, I did sign paperwork at the dealership stating that I would not ship overseas. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any advice?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
N/A
N/A is infamous around these parts
Thats BS. I just bought mine from a Porsche dealer used. I could be wrong but the Porsche agreement is only with dealers and on new vehicles. They are not allowed to sell new ones but there are ways around this. I think your paperwork is to ensure you are not buying a brand new one with the intention of exporting it immediately. Used ones, who cares! Surely there are law in place that will find such an idea illegal in the US.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Interesting, I have only had it about a month and my dealer said I am bound by the paperwork for 6 months then I can sell it. Sounds like he is covering his *** and would probably get back to him and he would get in trouble.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
N/A
Maybe he is right or perhaps there are other reasons that motivate him. I can tell you however that there are a lot of vehicles from the US and Euro coming here and probably more going to China. If I were you, the last thing I want is for someone telling me who I can or cant sell my car to, especially since you are not the one sending it abroad nor knowingly sending it o/s!

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
The wait list overseas is huge. The import taxes are huge as well. I didn't sign anything when I bought my Cayenne but when I mentioned I was going to sell it private party, my salesman warned me about it going overseas and I would then be "unable" to buy another Porsche product. If you sell it and it winds up overseas (ie warranty work), be prepared to get blacklisted.

Last edited by j080808; 09-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
dochusar is infamous around these parts
Well this is a very complicated problem. Porsche dealers are fined a considerable sum for each vehicle exported out of the US if new (6 months old or less). They track VIN numbers.

There are lists of people who have sold their cars that dealerships maintain and share and this will limit your ability to order a Porsche. This is not much different from other premier car dealerships with high end desirable cars overseas. The rule for the dealers for used cars is 6 months plus one day. The V6 Cayenne is very desirable overseas and has been placed on the embargo list for export.

Is it legal to stop you from ordering another one, no. But the dealers are fearful of repercussions from Porsche NA if they sell cars that are exported out of the US, so they usually not sell to a person who according to Porsche exported a car illegally. I saw it personally when I was ordering my new 991 and another time when ordering my diesel.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM
N/A
Originally Posted by dochusar
Well this is a very complicated problem. Porsche dealers are fined a considerable sum for each vehicle exported out of the US if new (6 months old or less). They track VIN numbers.

There are lists of people who have sold their cars that dealerships maintain and share and this will limit your ability to order a Porsche. This is not much different from other premier car dealerships with high end desirable cars overseas. The rule for the dealers for used cars is 6 months plus one day. The V6 Cayenne is very desirable overseas and has been placed on the embargo list for export.

Is it legal to stop you from ordering another one, no. But the dealers are fearful of repercussions from Porsche NA if they sell cars that are exported out of the US, so they usually not sell to a person who according to Porsche exported a car illegally. I saw it personally when I was ordering my new 991 and another time when ordering my diesel.
The most realistic explanation I have read on this. I still find it so unbelievable that in a country with so much freedom to do almost anything, that a genuine buyer is not able to sell their car to anyone they please...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:01 AM
littodevil is infamous around these parts
Yet when I was shopping for a new Cayenne... I was following around a sales guy til he was done helping someone else.. this someone else was going to buy one of the used one on the lot and ship it back directly from dealership.. I guess if it's "used" it's okay lol.. even from a dealership?.. heh

And that's crazy.. what if the guy never said anything about shipping it over sea and you sell it to him? I guess it's not the government but more the company (Porsche) dictating if they feel like black listing you or not =P.. It's like guilty until proven innocent haha.. sad..

Larry

Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Mine is over 6 months old so I guess I can sell it to anyone.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Why be so aggressive towards the consumer?
As if any and all grey market US imports could impact the practically unlimited Chinese market in Porsche's disfavor..
I would think that the more Cayennes get sent to China,the greater the demand..so i ask,what can possibly be wrong with that???
Just like with Apple's sometimes nasty and way overly protective attitude..I just don't get it

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
N/A
Think they want to protect the local market. We in Japan for example pay 30% more on the cayennes than you guys in the US. But my GTR however is 30% cheaper here...

Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Yea, its kind of crazy what's the difference if it's 1 month old or 6 especially since I wanted to buy another Cayenne S from Porsche. They will still get another sale from me, I am really disappointed!! If anyone is interested in my 2013 V6 (and won't ship to China) check out my auction on Ebay.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM
nhirsch is infamous around these partsnhirsch is infamous around these parts
very odd. hard to believe.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by N/A
Think they want to protect the local market. We in Japan for example pay 30% more on the cayennes than you guys in the US.
Here lies the answer...its all about profit.

If I owned a P dealer and my supplier allowed cars to come into my country for far less and thus scavenging my sales, I would be upset. Its all about protecting the brand and the "system". Black market cars only help the person importing them.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by N/A
But my GTR however is 30% cheaper here...
Now imagine if someone in the US was selling new GTR's at a 30% discount and you owned a Nissan dealership....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't sell my Cayenne for fear of being shipped overseas!