Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deilenberger
NO. WRONG STUFF! (and yes - I'm yelling because that stuff will likely trash the transfer case.)

You want: https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1C11...rds=ravenol+TF

One bottle. It takes 850cc's.

thank you. how about differential ?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by themperor
so the dealer said it was not the TC and the noises were just the suspension settling. I replaced the TC fluid and it was black. I took it for a drive but still hear the walnuts cracking on left turn. I am going to let it run for a week or so and then change it again along with the front and rear diff fluids.
Interested to hear if your problems clear up over the next few days. Mine showed very little improvement initially, but got significantly better after letting the car sit overnight, and fully cured itself over a few days.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:17 AM
bgee55 is infamous around these partsbgee55 is infamous around these parts
2016 V6 with 8k having TC replaced. Local dealership said multiple have been done

Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bgee55
2016 V6 with 8k having TC replaced. Local dealership said multiple have been done
At that low mileage it's almost certainly a flaw in the TC - not wear that's requiring it to be replaced. An oil change would likely do nothing at all for it.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:34 AM
bgee55 is infamous around these partsbgee55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deilenberger
At that low mileage it's almost certainly a flaw in the TC - not wear that's requiring it to be replaced. An oil change would likely do nothing at all for it.
Glad I'm under warranty

Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 AM
quickster2 is infamous around these parts
Just relaying an experience I won't soon forget being proactive on X-fer case oil changes. After changing my engine oil & filter and the x-fer case oil for the 2nd time being proactive, I noticed a leak at the x-fer case drain plug. My case had a hairline crack at the plug. My two times in there exposed a weak area of the case. Remember, these are tapered plugs judicious use of thread sealant and torque wrench is required (which I utilized). So......I take my leaking car to Steve's European and we pull the case. We also pull the case apart so we can have the case welded. Arbor Motion welded the case and we added an epoxy patch over the weld for extra insurance. Dust seals, cir-clips, o-rings, etc. , were all replaced on re-assembly. While putting the case back in the truck, we found out that the truck had run over something prior to my purchase as we had to install new bolts for the cross members and case mounting brackets and use a pry bar to locate & straighten everything properly. From now on I will be siphoning my transfer case fluid from the top plug to change the fluid every 20K. Quite the $$$ journey. The only good thing found during this mess is that I have the new P/N case 95834101008 with a build date of 20.04.2015 which means it was replaced sometime after on my 12/2011 built 2012 Cayenne S. By the way when I drained the oil from the 1st change it was black and smelled after 5K. I will be siphoning once more during the next engine oil change which I maintain a 5K OCI. Using the -63 oil FYI. FWIW smooth as butter driving the truck even when making tight turns in the driveway.

Last edited by quickster2; 07-04-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:32 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
That was exactly why I suggested "snug" - as in a slight resistance to turning using something like a 6" long wrench. A tapered plug IMHO is a dumb idea - but widely used for this sort of thing. A tapered plug into an aluminum case is even dumber. Using a torque wrench - especially a clicker type - at low torque settings is difficult to really master. Your arm tends to keep going for a bit even when you've heard the click and the length of the lever arm on the torque wrench means it's way easy to apply too much torque.. If I was to use one - I think I'd de-rate the setting (ie - if 10nm, make it 8nm.. and I forget what the torque on these is - mine were tightened to snug.)

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by themperor
so the dealer said it was not the TC and the noises were just the suspension settling. I replaced the TC fluid and it was black. I took it for a drive but still hear the walnuts cracking on left turn. I am going to let it run for a week or so and then change it again along with the front and rear diff fluids.
So still have the noise. I replace the front and rear diff fluids. The front was relatively clean but the rear was black. Had not driven it far given the long weekend and we stayed home but I'll take it to work this week and hopefully things will improve. I will change the TC fluid again in a couple weeks to see what it looks like. The dealer said he would be glad to look at it yet again when the recall for the cam bolt is ready to be fixed and in stock.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:26 PM
ChrisFu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by quickster2
Just relaying an experience I won't soon forget being proactive on X-fer case oil changes. After changing my engine oil & filter and the x-fer case oil for the 2nd time being proactive, I noticed a leak at the x-fer case drain plug. My case had a hairline crack at the plug. My two times in there exposed a weak area of the case. Remember, these are tapered plugs judicious use of thread sealant and torque wrench is required (which I utilized). So......I take my leaking car to Steve's European and we pull the case. We also pull the case apart so we can have the case welded. Arbor Motion welded the case and we added an epoxy patch over the weld for extra insurance. Dust seals, cir-clips, o-rings, etc. , were all replaced on re-assembly. While putting the case back in the truck, we found out that the truck had run over something prior to my purchase as we had to install new bolts for the cross members and case mounting brackets and use a pry bar to locate & straighten everything properly. From now on I will be siphoning my transfer case fluid from the top plug to change the fluid every 20K. Quite the $$$ journey. The only good thing found during this mess is that I have the new P/N case 95834101008 with a build date of 20.04.2015 which means it was replaced sometime after on my 12/2011 built 2012 Cayenne S. By the way when I drained the oil from the 1st change it was black and smelled after 5K. I will be siphoning once more during the next engine oil change which I maintain a 5K OCI. Using the -63 oil FYI. FWIW smooth as butter driving the truck even when making tight turns in the driveway.
Does "truck" here mean the Cayenne or some other vehicle?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 PM
olivr911 is infamous around these parts
Finally

Sorry I haven't updated this earlier, but after a month and a half I finally received my Cayenne back from the Porsche dealership outfitted with what appears to be a brand new transfer case. The only outside difference I can see is it now has a breather tube that runs up into the engine compartment. I am on vacation and have just traveled 800 miles without incident.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM
quickster2 is infamous around these parts
958 Cayenne

Originally Posted by ChrisFu
958 Cayenne

Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisFu
Cayennes are frequently referred to as trucks. I usually do.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
so a week of driving and the noise has definitely changed while taking the left turn. It is more subdued and not as noticeable but it is still there. Will give it another week and change the TC fluid again. Fingers crossed.

changed it a second time and it was black. Hopefully this time it's gone. Will report back

Last edited by themperor; 07-16-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM
mkiv808 is infamous around these parts
If we can get the camshaft bolts to a recall, why not this?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
A quick update on my Cayenne. Now months after changing the fluid and 1,500 miles later, transfer case is still performing flawlessly in all conditions.

I mentioned in my build thread that earlier this week I went to Georgia to pick up some new wheels. The guy I'd been in contact with had the wheels/tires at his mechanic's shop. When he was helping me load the wheels, I noticed he had what seemed to be a 2011 or 2012 Cayenne Base. I inquired what problems it was having and if it was transfer case related. He explained that the truck was awaiting a transfer case replacement and the owner was deciding whether or not to incur the cost. The car had 70,000 miles and had the "clunk" sound throughout 3rd/4th gear.

I immediately let him on our fluid change secret as a remedy. He was skeptical, but took note of the exact Ravenol fluid that I used. I told him to get my number from the owner of the wheels if he had any questions. English was not his first language, so excuse the grammar, but last night I received this text message:

Name:  x7JFeWp.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  64.5 KB

Add another quick fix to the list!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced