Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM
jzzmn88 is infamous around these parts
Add me to the list for transfer case issues. I just bought a 2013 Cayenne GTS this past Sunday. This is my wife's car so she test drove it....in retrospect, I should have test driven it as well, but since we got it at CarMax, I figured we have 5 days to return.

The next day, when I drove it, felt a bit jerky and hesitation when shifting. It wasn't too bad but enough to cause some concern. Came across this thread and figured it must be the transfer case. Took it to my indy mechanic and he knew right away what I was talking about. He recommended replacing the fluid instead of a full swap of the case. He replaced the fluid yesterday and he said it was pitch black but thankfully didn't notice any particles.

Picked up the car today and it feels much better! Going to evaluate things over the next few weeks to see if there is more improvement. Thanks to this thread for all the great info!!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Qu4ttro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jzzmn88
Add me to the list for transfer case issues. I just bought a 2013 Cayenne GTS this past Sunday. This is my wife's car so she test drove it....in retrospect, I should have test driven it as well, but since we got it at CarMax, I figured we have 5 days to return.

The next day, when I drove it, felt a bit jerky and hesitation when shifting. It wasn't too bad but enough to cause some concern. Came across this thread and figured it must be the transfer case. Took it to my indy mechanic and he knew right away what I was talking about. He recommended replacing the fluid instead of a full swap of the case. He replaced the fluid yesterday and he said it was pitch black but thankfully didn't notice any particles.

Picked up the car today and it feels much better! Going to evaluate things over the next few weeks to see if there is more improvement. Thanks to this thread for all the great info!!
Which fluid did your independent mechanic put in if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM
jzzmn88 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Which fluid did your independent mechanic put in if you don't mind me asking?
He used genuine Porsche transfer case fluid, guess not Ravenol. He works on a ton of Porsche's (I've been taking my 991 there) and he told me he sees this issue all the time on 955 and 958's.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
About to change my XC fluid again and will check which version I have, purchased 2011 CTT used in July 17, the dealer only has records going back 5 years.
So no way of knowing if it was replaced early 2011 to 8/12 when the service records start at 50K

It was changed when I purchased it, about 3000 miles ago, didn't really pick up on this symptom as the car was new to me, and a lot of power and features take in. Makes my 996 seem like a relic.

Should I go with the Ravenol again or try the dealers oil?

I now feel an occasionally feel the shudder on low speed tight turns (parking lots),and popping or thumping sound under moderate to heavy acceleration.

Perhaps unrelated but In stop and go traffic i'm noticing an occasional a hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I thought it was the pavement. But now thinking transmission? after zoning in on the drive train noises.
It is on its second transmission with 33K on it.

If the XC fluid change doesn't help I will try the Posi Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive.
I saw the 5% comment so about 1.4 oz is there a preference the Delco or CRC version?
Adding some to the front diff wont help?Right? as they are open diffs.

Only driven on weekends so tough to get a true feel. Will have to make it a daily driver after I get back fro a trip back east.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:05 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jzzmn88
He used genuine Porsche transfer case fluid, guess not Ravenol. He works on a ton of Porsche's (I've been taking my 991 there) and he told me he sees this issue all the time on 955 and 958's.
I used the genuine stuff too.. it's about $40/liter to Ravenol's $15 or so..

Old 11-06-2017, 12:26 PM
So I have the dealer oil ordered, fingers crossed. Thanks Don.

Just received a response from Durametric support.
I had a few codes on Friday that didn't make sense.

They responded.

The code from the AWD unit, 289/121 is defined as: "Oil end of life".

So the ECU must be logging miles or years only? no real oil life sensor?
I just rolled over 160K, before 16 years or "lifetime"

Old 11-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Update I have the original transfer case according to Durametric, I raised it to the highest setting but was unable to find a nameplate or stamp.

AWD module information
VIN WP1AC2A27BLA8xxx
ECU Hardware number 0C2927755E
System Name Allrad-HangOn
ASAM ID Allrad
ASAM version 000002
Supplier Hardware number 2 M0009799
Hardware version D00
Software version 0914
Spare part number 0C2927755E
Production change number IC001001
Coding Date 00/00/00
ECU Manufacturing Date 10/06/10
Programming Date 10/06/10
Calibration Date FF/FF/FF
Logical Block Version 0914914914914

Looks like Porsche is on version 8 now

Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jayi836
So I have the dealer oil ordered, fingers crossed. Thanks Don.

Just received a response from Durametric support.
I had a few codes on Friday that didn't make sense.

They responded.

The code from the AWD unit, 289/121 is defined as: "Oil end of life".

So the ECU must be logging miles or years only? no real oil life sensor?
I just rolled over 160K, before 16 years or "lifetime"
There are several counters that record the amount of torque sent through the transfer case, and a probe of some sorts that measures the resistance of the oil in the case. As the resistance drops (becomes smaller meaning higher conductivity) - that's probably an indication of contamination of the oil, likely by clutch particles. And there is a max number on this reading. That may be what triggers "Oil end of life" message. You can read all of these with the iCarScan, but there isn't an explanation of what all of the readings mean.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
add me to the transfer case problem- 2014 base plat 37k miles. just dropped it off

Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 AM
follow up they replaced the transfer case. one interesting note- to diagnose they "unplugged" the transfer case and symptoms went away. So I guess if your transfer case does go out you can unplug it

Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM
sjg1138 is infamous around these partssjg1138 is infamous around these parts
Did they mention if they replaced the TC oil or not? That seems to be the favored solution around here.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Did they mention if they replaced the TC oil or not? That seems to be the favored solution around here.
they did the whole case under warranty

Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by seabrook
they did the whole case under warranty
Apparently Porsche knows better than the Interwebz and they just replace the whole case (probably costs them > $3,000). As long as they're paying for it - at least you get nice new oil with the new transfer case..

Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
TJtheDJ is infamous around these parts

Hey guys I have posted this before but it makes sense to post this again while the conversation is currently at this state. This is my paperwork from January when I had mine replaced under a 3 month used car warranty from the Mercedes dealership I purchased my 2011 from. Hope this helps a few of you in this thread.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Apparently Porsche knows better than the Interwebz and they just replace the whole case (probably costs them > $3,000). As long as they're paying for it - at least you get nice new oil with the new transfer case..
its my wifes car and it was driven around until it was fried, she didn't know LOL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced